Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Heading to Slidell in a day or two. Curious to see what's going on since my last visit, which was over a year ago. Maybe more carriers or even band 41 will be my finding...so far, I've never seen band 41 with any phone...from central Alabama through Mississippi, into Slidell.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

There is 1 band 41 site just south of Slidell along I-10.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd throw this out for folks looking for roaming LTE. I'm visiting McComb, Mississippi and noticed I'm getting LTE on Cspire. 

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/577caddc3456f/Screenshot_20160706-020447.png?

Not sure if you have debug screen on your device, but curious what the GCI pattern is for CSpire. I know they have B12 in the wild, and I think some B5 in some territories as well. Not sure if they have and B4 deployed yet, but I know in some markets they have gotten to 10 MHz wide on B25, and maybe even 15 MHz wide in Hattiesburg I think was the market they were trying to achieve that in.

Anyways, I picked up CSpire on my Moto E near Natchez, and that device was had B12 disabled in the firmware, so it may have been B5.

Fantastic interview with Günther Ottendorfer, Sprint's COO of Technology, about 5G and what lies ahead for Sprint's network densification plans:

• Like 11

There is some really cool info in there. How he discussed the microwave network, moving the dial on low/mid/high band up past 11 and sharing about the tests. Good to have an intelligent hand on the network with lots of experience. They were soaked in a tad of corporate speakvaguetry. S is still holding the cards tight; but good to see the C suite meeting some press. Maybe it is just the utility of the internets, but it seems like this kind of interview happens more often than it used to. Watching Dan work to get an answer out of the buzzwords was amusing; "The telecom market loves acronyms" -asks specific plans about acronyms. I like that guy. Thanks for the share.

PROTIP: If you are having trouble with the gentleman's accent in parts like I unfortunately did, do not turn on CC seeking clarity. My laptop is covered in diet soda after drink-lolwuting at the attempted caption. ymmv

• Like 6

There is some really cool info in there. How he discussed the microwave network, moving the dial on low/mid/high band up past 11 and sharing about the tests. Good to have an intelligent hand on the network with lots of experience. They were soaked in a tad of corporate speakvaguetry. S is still holding the cards tight; but good to see the C suite meeting some press. Maybe it is just the utility of the internets, but it seems like this kind of interview happens more often than it used to. Watching Dan work to get an answer out of the buzzwords was amusing; "The telecom market loves acronyms" -asks specific plans about acronyms. I like that guy. Thanks for the share.

PROTIP: If you are having trouble with the gentleman's accent in parts like I unfortunately did, do not turn on CC seeking clarity. My laptop is covered in diet soda after drink-lolwuting at the attempted caption. ymmv

I like that he said and I quote "There will be 4x carrier aggregation"

• Like 3

And we thought there was going to just be 2 3xCA. Maybe internal testing showed that 4xCA would be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

And we thought there was going to just be 2 3xCA. Maybe internal testing showed that 4xCA would be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Its not the first time they have said that they may do it. Either way we know its happening. I'll take his word over anyone else.

For me, this is not surprising.  With so much B41 spectrum, I would expect that there would be at least 6x CA one day.  Maybe not in a phone, but at least a home modem.

• Like 1

Dr. John Saw, Sprint's CTO has previously said (November 17, 2015):

Our new LTE Plus network using LTE Advanced technology is a significant differentiator for Sprint and our customers. It’s also the foundation on which we will roll out more LTE Advanced capabilities such as 3/4/5-channel carrier aggregation, higher order MIMO and more advanced beamforming, seamless WiFi integration and more.

• Like 3

What this video tells me is that Günther Ottendorfer (COO, Technology) and Dr. John Saw (CTO) should be on Twitter to engage with people about Sprint's progress and to take feedback.

Neville Ray (T-Mobile's CTO) is on Twitter (https://twitter.com/nevilleray) and actively engages with customers about network questions, issues and feedback. Have a look at his Tweets/Replies, and it's clear that customers like engaging with him, and that he likes engaging with them.

Sprint needs to put these "C suite" people out front so that we as customers can engage with them.

• Like 5

Ottendorfer seems like he loves to talk a lot about network, and what is possible with the Sprint spectrum, very optimistic guy. Saw in the other hand likes to keep it short and simple, and only comes out when RootMetrics or any other publication release a positive Sprint article. 

• Like 1

Ottendorfer seems like he loves to talk a lot about network, and what is possible with the Sprint spectrum, very optimistic guy. Saw in the other hand likes to keep it short and simple, and only comes out when RootMetrics or any other publication release a positive Sprint article. 

I agree. I do wish both of them directly engaged with users on Twitter.

• Like 1

I agree. I do wish both of them directly engaged with users on Twitter.

I would be happy with either more information about their network path or real world improvement in network performance in my area. Neither seems to be on the horizon, unfortunately.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4x/5x carrier aggregation on band 41 requires future LTE releases and software updates not yet implemented network side. It also requires devices to support it of which none are also out.

Such a setup requires support for non contiguous intraband carrier aggregation.

What sprint is doing or saying they're doing is nothing new. They're following the footsteps of the other major band 41 carrier in China and Japan. So look at what those entities have done and you'll see what direction sprint is heading in.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 4

Anyone know what changes came with prl 55055 that came out?

That would be for the PRL thread that has been pinned to the top of this sub-forum for years...

• Like 2

You can still do annual upgrades on Galaxy Devices by paying a $5/month Early Upgrade Fee for 12 Payments. (This fee was reduced from $10/month.)

As you can see in these FAQ's, this applies to Leases and Monthly Installments for Galaxy Devices.

• Like 1

The resale value of a Samsung is not as high as an iPhone. They were probably losing money on them.

• Like 4

The resale value of a Samsung is not as high as an iPhone. They were probably losing money on them.

If Sprint killed the program after just 4 months, the resale projections must have been way lower than what Sprint anticipated.

Given his knowledge and experience from Brightstar, Marcelo probably swooped in there and pulled the plug on the program himself.

• Like 2

If Sprint killed the program after just 4 months, the resale projections must have been way lower than what Sprint anticipated.

Given his knowledge and experience from Brightstar, Marcelo probably swooped in there and pulled the plug on the program himself.

But I knew the resale value of a Samsung phone was a lot lower than an iPhone before they started Galaxy Forever.  Shouldn't they have know that before they started it?

• Like 2