Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

What has Marcelo done to deserve that job.

Look at the mess he inherited at Sprint. It's a minor miracle Sprint is still above water. Did you see where things were at the end of the Hesse tenure?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Would Son promote Marcelo to that job? If that happens, who runs Sprint?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing. I wouldn't mind if they grabbed Neville Ray. I would like to see what he would do with Sprints spectrum.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing. I wouldn't mind if they grabbed Neville Ray. I would like to see what he would do with Sprints spectrum.

Dr. John Saw, Sprint's CTO, has plenty of experience with 2.5 GHz and other high frequencies given his work at Clearwire and on Project Angel, etc.

See this Bloomberg Article which talks about his background:

“We have an advantage because we have the spectrum and we have the experience,” he said at the demo. “Our learning curve won’t be as steep as others who haven’t done this before."

• Like 1

Dr. John Saw, Sprint's CTO, has plenty of experience with 2.5 GHz and other high frequencies given his work at Clearwire and on Project Angel, etc.

He can remain at his position and work with Ray.

He can remain at his position and work with Ray.

That doesn't always work out well. Too many cooks ruin the soup.

Sprint stock surges on SoftBank recommitment, management upheaval

I'm a happy Sprint shareholder today. Son specifically reiterated his commitment to Sprint:

In announcing Arora’s departure, Son noted his continued support of Sprint, which continues to struggle in finding its footing. SoftBank gained control of Sprint in mid-2013, and has since invested heavily in its U.S. operations.

“I want to cement SoftBank 2.0, develop Sprint to its true potential and work on a few more crazy ideas,” Son said in a statement. “This will require me to be CEO for at least another five to 10 years – this is not a time frame for me to keep Nikesh waiting for the top job.”

Based on the Article, it looks like Nikesh will have to leave his Board of Director Position at Sprint as well.

• Like 1

Saw has done a good job as Sprint CTO since he has been on the position for over two years now. Neville is in another level anyways, dude  does things in advance. He was the architect of getting the tmobile network with fiber backhaul in all metro areas back in  2008. 

Any clueless executive should had seen what the iPhone did to the AT&T network in 2007-2008. Hey Dan don't you think we should start preparation to get the Sprint network with Fiber backhaul.  

Had the Sprint network was fiber backhaul ready instead of T1, Sprint wouldn't had lost all those millions of subscribers,  would had bought Metro PCS, and probably Cricket. 

The point is, you can't make a bonehead decision in this industry. There is not margin for errors when it comes to execution. 

• Like 4

It's funny how some people were so adamant about Softbank preparing to drop Sprint and here Masayoshi Son is again saying that that is not going to happen.

I wonder how long it'll be until someone brings it up again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It's funny how some people were so adamant about Softbank preparing to drop Sprint and here Masayoshi Son is again saying that that is not going to happen.

I wonder how long it'll be until someone brings it up again.

Well, we can always count on Moffett....

• Like 1

That doesn't always work out well. Too many cooks ruin the soup.

Maybe so but it can also be positive if they can work together. Also it would be a big blow to JL I'd imagine. ;)

Saw has done a good job as Sprint CTO since he has been on the position for over two years now. Neville is in another level anyways, dude  does things in advance. He was the architect of getting the tmobile network with fiber backhaul in all metro areas back in  2008. 

Any clueless executive should had seen what the iPhone did to the AT&T network in 2007-2008. Hey Dan don't you think we should start preparation to get the Sprint network with Fiber backhaul.  

Had the Sprint network was fiber backhaul ready instead of T1, Sprint wouldn't had lost all those millions of subscribers,  would had bought Metro PCS, and probably Cricket. 

The point is, you can't make a bonehead decision in this industry. There is not margin for errors when it comes to execution. 

I agree with you about most things. Neville had the advantage of sufficient funding and a forward thinking CEO/Board.

However, Saw is a smart guy, and he has the experience (and financial backing from Marcelo/Son) that Sprint needs now for its work with high frequencies for backhaul and densification.

Remember, Saw worked under the prior Sprint network guys who were fired by Marcelo back in March 2014:

Sprint's (NYSE:S) team of technology and networks executives is receiving a major shakeup, with Steve Elfman, president of network operations at Sprint, and Bob Azzi, the carrier's senior vice president of networks, leaving the company. Meantime, John Saw, Clearwire's former CTO, has been promoted to Chief Network Officer of Sprint. Saw had previously been Sprint's senior vice president of technical architecture.

Now it's Saw's show, and Marcelo/Son wouldn't have kept him if they didn't have confidence in him.

Also, Dan Hesse wanted to buy MetroPCS. The Board wouldn't let him.

• Like 4

You mention his work at Clearwire like that's a good thing.  Clearwire's network was never something to brag about.

• Like 1

Clear's network was insufficient because they ran out of money during buildout, in fact that's how Robert got his start before this website came into existence (tracking WiMAX rollout).

If Saw didn't have the capital or the tools to do his job then he can't do the job.

Its crazy to think just how much $$$ it takes to build cellular networks in the US (and how picky US cell customers are). If US Cellular's investment was in Mexico or the UK they would probably have ubiquitous LTE.

• Like 2

You mention his work at Clearwire like that's a good thing.  Clearwire's network was never something to brag about.

It kinda was in NYC. Clearwire's NYC network was super dense and deployed very rapidly because they used a ton of microwave backhaul. I recall when I first joined this site my EVO 4G was capable of 16 Mbps on WiMax. The limiting factor for it was that they were using WiMax. Despite the super dense deployment, my phone often disconnected from 4G because in many ways WiMax behaved like the public WiFi networks here in that if you were stationary or driving slowly, it would hand off seamlessly but if you were driving fast the phone would struggle to switch from site to site.

I think the problem was that WiMax got usurped by LTE relatively early on and ran out of money so Clear stopped deployment abruptly and left many people stranded and wondering when they'd get 4G.

• Like 1

This new PRL update is a hot mess. I'm getting No Service with b41 towers in line of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clear's network was insufficient because they ran out of money during buildout, in fact that's how Robert got his start before this website came into existence (tracking WiMAX rollout).

If Saw didn't have the capital or the tools to do his job then he can't do the job.

Its crazy to think just how much $$$ it takes to build cellular networks in the US (and how picky US cell customers are). If US Cellular's investment was in Mexico or the UK they would probably have ubiquitous LTE.

It kinda was in NYC. Clearwire's NYC network was super dense and deployed very rapidly because they used a ton of microwave backhaul. I recall when I first joined this site my EVO 4G was capable of 16 Mbps on WiMax. The limiting factor for it was that they were using WiMax. Despite the super dense deployment, my phone often disconnected from 4G because in many ways WiMax behaved like the public WiFi networks here in that if you were stationary or driving slowly, it would hand off seamlessly but if you were driving fast the phone would struggle to switch from site to site.

I think the problem was that WiMax got usurped by LTE relatively early on and ran out of money so Clear stopped deployment abruptly and left many people stranded and wondering when they'd get 4G.

Those are reasons, or you can also say excuses, why Clearwire's network was never something to brag about.  Houston was also one of the more developed markets for Wimax but it acted more like hot spots than it did a mobile network.  Handoffs weren't great.

• Like 2

This new PRL update is a hot mess. I'm getting No Service with b41 towers in line of sight.

What's the PRL Number?

Thanks for telling me this, I think I'm going to hold off now.

I'm reporting every issue via Sprint Zone. Hopefully they fix this soon.

• Like 1

Those are reasons, or you can also say excuses, why Clearwire's network was never something to brag about.  Houston was also one of the more developed markets for Wimax but it acted more hot spots than it did a mobile network.  Handoffs weren't great.

The point was that I could have bragged about it at the time. Super dense and super fast deployment by use of microwave is something to brag about. The limiting factors were money and technology and to be fair, LTE wasn't a thing at the time they began deploying.

• Like 1

Those are reasons, or you can also say excuses, why Clearwire's network was never something to brag about.  Houston was also one of the more developed markets for Wimax but it acted more hot spots than it did a mobile network.  Handoffs weren't great.

Yeah, while WiMax wasn't a great technology for how it was implemented, the legacy Clear network has been godsend in DC once they added B41 LTE (and then CA once WiMax was retired). I think WiMax still could have a future in certain fixed WISP environments.

• Like 3

Yeah, while WiMax wasn't a great technology for how it was implemented, the legacy Clear network has been godsend in DC once they added B41 LTE (and then CA once WiMax was retired). I think WiMax still could have a future in certain fixed WISP environments.

My point exactly. While stationary or moving slowly, WiMax was amazing.

I'm pretty sure most of the remaining WiMax deployments are WISPs. In my mother's birthplace Trinidad, neither of the two carriers has LTE deployed however, one doees have WiMax deployed for use as a WISP in areas where fiber isn't available just yet which is mostly the rural areas.