Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

so basically the whole southeast is cherry picked and weak? Im all for Sprint getting to where they need to be but its hard to defend against so many markets with lack of deployed spectrum when tmobile can do it. I mentioned those places because these are all places where I have experienced the same old tune of 95% of the time being on 25/26 and only 5% of the time being on b41. I could literally go over a hundred miles and never get b41. At&t b17/b4 CA is everywhere and tmobile has 40mhz of b4 in most of these markets, Verizon has 60mhz of spectrum minimum in most of these markets while Sprint sits with 20mhz total with tiny slivers of b41.

Yes you cherry picked those markets the only ones on the east coast with no B41 or limited B41.

My B41 SCP data points.

20160608_192444.png?dl=0

• Like 4

Yes you cherry picked those markets the only ones on the east coast with no B41 or limited B41.

My B41 SCP data points.

20160608_192444.png?dl=0

Thats exactly what I have been seeing. 100 miles and really slow speeds. Why is the southeast so neglected?

I thought so. New York is much easier for all of that due to how dense the city is. Other cities like DC, North Florida and central, Mississippi, Louisiana, Memphis, Alabama, and countless other markets are still suffering from lack of. New York almost cant be compared because its so different.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DC? Huh? I've lived here for a decade and haven't really had any issues in service until I head to the outer suburbs. I visit my hometown of Tampa a lot more and don't really have any issues even in the horrid suburbs of Pasco.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

DC? Huh? I've lived here for a decade and haven't really had any issues in service until I head to the outer suburbs. I visit my hometown of Tampa a lot more and don't really have any issues even in the horrid suburbs of Pasco. :rolleyes:

I have been to DC on 3 occasions this year and my experience was fast in a few places and extremely slow in others. Tampa is good cant argue with that but there is still like 80 sites in the tampa market without b41. But there is enough to make b25 better. b26 is okay to bad.

I get decent enough inbuilding B41 in my brick apartment in Queens, good enough for 10-12mbps on the downlink. More than sufficient for any mobile use.

In New York.

But in SE Texas, some B41 towers (Clearwater) won't go past 2 city blocks outdoors. I live 1500 ft from a Clear B41 site and I can't get it indoors. Meanwhile, B25 seems to give me 5 Mbps which is more than I need. But unfortunately the network puts me on B26 even though my average RSRP is -105 indoors for B25.

I would believe that as long as a customer got that, it should be fine. Small cells will help fill in-building gaps, but you'll never get 80dB B41 signal in a building.

Those small cells better not be B41-only for the sake of VoLTE.

Churn numbers are on a steady decline, which means more satisfied customers are signing up and staying on board. 

Sprint won't be able to keep this 50% off deal much longer. Let's face it, considering that this deal seemed pretty good, the numbers it attracted were a bit disappointing. Sure they got customers, but not as many you would hope for.

I don't agree with that, one person's experience shouldn't be reflective of another unless they share the same household and visit the same areas.

I've never seen an uncongested B26 cell in Houston. Seeing as how the network keeps me on B26 most of the time all over town (even if B25 is available), I think I did him a solid. He currently has at&t, so a switch to Sprint would have been a downgrade. If he had T-Mobile, I would have told him to test it out since T-Mobile also has some issues in this area.

Now had he asked me about San Antonio, I would have told him to try it. The Sprint network in SA is a lot better than the Sprint network in Louisiana, Dallas, Austin and Houston. Even before NV rolled out, 3G wasn't as congested as it was in other markets. At&t is king in SA, but Sprint also holds its own there.

But recommending Sprint in Houston? My conscious won't allow me to.

• Like 2

In New York.

But in SE Texas, some B41 towers (Clearwater) won't go past 2 city blocks outdoors. I live 1500 ft from a Clear B41 site and I can't get it indoors. Meanwhile, B25 seems to give me 5 Mbps which is more than I need. But unfortunately the network puts me on B26 even though my average RSRP is -105 indoors for B25.

Those small cells better not be B41-only for the sake of VoLTE.

Sprint won't be able to keep this 50% off deal much longer. Let's face it, considering that this deal seemed pretty good, the numbers it attracted were a bit disappointing. Sure they got customers, but not as many you would hope for.

I've never seen an uncongested B26 cell in Houston. Seeing as how the network keeps me on B26 most of the time all over town (even if B25 is available), I think I did him a solid. He currently has at&t, so a switch to Sprint would have been a downgrade. If he had T-Mobile, I would have told him to test it out since T-Mobile also has some issues in this area.

Now had he asked me about San Antonio, I would have told him to try it. The Sprint network in SA is a lot better than the Sprint network in Louisiana, Dallas, Austin and Houston. Even before NV rolled out, 3G wasn't as congested as it was in other markets. At&t is king in SA, but Sprint also holds its own there.

If Sprint is so horrible, why do you bother staying with them?

Im with Sprint because the service is pretty great where i go at an excellent price.

But if i personally had your experience on any carrier I would have left a loong time ago.

• Like 4

Thats exactly what I have been seeing. 100 miles and really slow speeds. Why is the southeast so neglected?

Easy there are no really big cities. Since the new CEO was hires Sprint has picked big cities and focused on them. Just think 75% of I-80 in PA is 3g only at least there is B25 and spots of B26 in the south making the network usable.

I like to know what smarty pants says DC area doesn't have good service. Because that sounds like fud to me.fe1e8200c55468dbf5fc9494a333ed83.jpg80b1adeb61a4b82cf7e009d8df167464.jpg

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

If Sprint is so horrible, why do you bother staying with them?

Im with Sprint because the service is pretty great where i go at an excellent price.

But if i personally had your experience on any carrier I would have left a loong time ago.

I'm waiting for the contract to run its course. If there has ever been a time to switch, it is now. All of the phones in our lines now support LTE bands for all carriers. And since Sprint has to unlock them, it should be a breeze.

I'll definitely be taking my old Tri-band phone to ringplus to track any Sprint activity. Unfortunately, I highly doubt Sprint does a rip and replace of Clearwire equipment now that Rootmetrics has pinned them the king of Data download speeds. Theres no incentive for them to do so. Unfortunately, not many people are aware that those were outdoor tests and Sprint is pretty slow in real life usage through most of SE Texas. The last known permits for Sprint in this area were for gas powered generators in 2014. Not many network improvements are happening at the moment and with capex down, I'm not expecting them to start in the immediate future.

• Like 1

Where in Houston are you located? I was back in the north Houston (The Woodlands, Spring & Kingwood) two weeks ago and had no issues with data speeds. I also had no issue when I wasn't driving staying on B41 and spent little time on B26. While this was my experience it doesn't speak for all of Houston or everyone in Houston.

The network in these areas have greatly improved over the last 18 months since I moved to SoCal. While network speeds are great at times in SoCal I would have loved to had B26 over the last 18 months and can't wait to be back in an area with it. There is nothing worse than being stuck on 3g or 1x out here.

It is easy to for us to pick apart the network but there has been great development in the network. Yes Sprint is behind the others but they are slowly getting it together.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was getting 50 to 80 mbps down in dc mostly clearsites over this weekend.

Speed test at 10:22pm. Of course its going to be fast. We will when rootmetrics reports come out for DC.

I think everyone here has a bit of neighborhood bias. Nextgencpu has great experience in NYC's network, I have a pretty good but sometimes crappy experience in NYC. Kg4icg has a great time in DC, Terrell doesn't. Terrell thinks Southeast states network is bad, I think Sprint in Southwest Florida is pretty solid. Ultimately, it comes down to the person in question and what their opinion of good service is. If a person wants to go with Sprint, don't steer them against it or to it, just say give it a try. If it's for them, they stay, if its not, they won't. Telling them what to do isn't the best advice.

• Like 8

I think everyone here has a bit of neighborhood bias. Nextgencpu has great experience in NYC's network, I have a pretty good but sometimes crappy experience in NYC. Kg4icg has a great time in DC, Terrell doesn't. Terrell thinks Southeast states network is bad, I think Sprint in Southwest Florida is pretty solid. Ultimately, it comes down to the person in question and what their opinion of good service is. If a person wants to go with Sprint, don't steer them against it or to it, just say give it a try. If it's for them, they stay, if its not, they won't. Telling them what to do isn't the best advice.

I might be region bias. I frequent mostly Ocala, Gainesville, St Augustine, Jacksonville, Augusta GA, Memphis, Louisiana, Alambama and it gets tiring having bad data in these areas. I will be in Orlando tomorrow which in my experience is good. But I guess Sprint cant be recommended on a whole in most southeast regions for data but for voice they are always really great most places I go. There are a few dead spots but not alot. Im on LTE 95% of the time just dial up speeds until late night.

Speed test at 10:22pm. Of course its going to be fast. We will when rootmetrics reports come out for DC.

You might want to look at those times on the ookla test again. 10:22 pm is when I took a screen shot of scp.

• Like 1

You might want to look at those times on the ookla test again. 10:22 pm is when I took a screen shot of scp.

What part of DC? Where I have to go most of the time is close to the national zoo.

New York and Florida NE at FedEx station right across the street fro XM/Sirius. During rush hour in DC forum, posted speed test on band 41 I say about 2 to 3 weeks ago of me doing over 60mb down during evening rush hour. Got a few likes off of it to. Don't make generalized statements about areas others live in that can refute . I cover from Richmond Virginia all the way north To Elizabeth NJ for FedEx, and I'm just using a LG GFlex 2.

• Like 2

I'm a DC area native, family been around here since 1833 in Arlington, 1848 in Waterford, Va. Been on Sprint going on 20 years.

• Like 3

Where in Houston are you located? I was back in the north Houston (The Woodlands, Spring & Kingwood) two weeks ago and had no issues with data speeds. I also had no issue when I wasn't driving staying on B41 and spent little time on B26. While this was my experience it doesn't speak for all of Houston or everyone in Houston.

The network in these areas have greatly improved over the last 18 months since I moved to SoCal. While network speeds are great at times in SoCal I would have loved to had B26 over the last 18 months and can't wait to be back in an area with it. There is nothing worse than being stuck on 3g or 1x out here.

It is easy to for us to pick apart the network but there has been great development in the network. Yes Sprint is behind the others but they are slowly getting it together.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

As of this writing, I'm currently in the heights. But similar results in Cleveland and Conroe.

I usually would not mind the slow speeds. Heck, I've had slow speeds for the longest when I lived in Lufkin. But what really has me looking for a different provider is the fact that Sprint has the ability to provide stable service, yet they don't. They cannot manage their bands correctly.

I hate to turn this into a speed test screenshot fest, but this is B26, which I'm on for the most part (Even if B25 is readily available)

wR7basq.jpg

And this is B25 (taken after I turned off B26). Same location in the heights, indoors.

tZFxGxk.jpg

• Like 1

As of this writing, I'm currently in the heights. But similar results in Cleveland and Conroe.

I usually would not mind the slow speeds. Heck, I've had slow speeds for the longest when I lived in Lufkin. But what really has me looking for a different provider is the fact that Sprint has the ability to provide stable service, yet they don't. They cannot manage their bands correctly.

I hate to turn this into a speed test screenshot fest, but this is B26, which I'm on for the most part (Even if B25 is readily available)

And this is B25 (taken after I turned off B26). Same location in the heights, indoors.

What device are you using? Device radio optimization has a ton to do with how well it perform switching bands.

• Like 1

I can see your issue with those speeds. While I continued to see around 30 Mbps while I was in town I know that isn't everywhere.

I have continued to be surprised by the increase in the network speeds and roll out of the network. I have seen many areas hit 90 Mbps and even seen many new B41 connections. These have been in SoCal and hopefully when I move back to Houston I will see the same there.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

See, I think herein lies the problem. Consistency. Sprint does have wonderful spectrum to use and many people have wonderful experiences. However, there are people (Like in this thread) that have abysmal experiences in the same towns. I think if Sprint can make the network a more consistent/even experience, then more people would switch and/or stay.

I know here in east IA, there is no B41 (Because IA is rural, so B41 is owned by a company that uses it for rural internet), and B25/26 is deployed in some major cities like Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and Waterloo. However, the towers are frequently overloaded and LTE coverage doesn't go very far from towers (Towers that are already few and far between), so you are stuck on 3G mostly which is molasses slow. Overall a meh experience.

However, I have been to Des Moines, St. Louis, and Nashville recently, and they all are not perfect, but they are more dense, are faster, and very reliable.

I'm not saying it'll be easy, but if they can get consistency like AT&T or Verizon, they will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 2

St. Louis seems to be doing better lately. I suspect that Sprint's cell grid there is dense compared to a lot of places. AFAIK there hasn't been a lot of Mobilitie movement in STL yet. Yet Sprint seems to be dealing with traffic better than the other carriers in very dense locations like Busch Stadium.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Regarding the phone sticking to B26, I've noticed that the phone can sometimes get into an "unstable" state where it continuously band cycles every few seconds to B41, then B25, and lands back on B26 where it sits until the next cycle. Nothing seems to fix it other than a reboot. For me, one site in particular seems to trigger it when I get in a weak signal area (ie a basement).

So you might want to try rebooting if you find your phone sticking to B26 when it shouldn't be.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

What device are you using? Device radio optimization has a ton to do with how well it perform switching bands.

It's not the device. I had this issue with a Galaxy S5 and two other Nexus 5x (M8994F is the current one). I also see it with the iPhones in the other lines I have under contract (though iPhone engineering screen can't be trusted). I've always had access to good RSRP and SNR on B25 (surprisingly, SNR is way better for me on B25 than it is on B26). Unfortunately the network just isn't working as it should. It's gotten better...that I will admit, but not good enough. In 2014, all Tri-band devices would be exclusively parked on B26. Today, I see B25 more now, but not enough to make the network consistent.

One thing I do admire about T-Mobile in this part of the state is that their network is extremely aggressive at getting you to switch to B4 LTE if you happen to fall to B12. Which is good for their network because parts of midtown have brought T-Mobile's network to its knees. A Sprint 5x5 B25 carrier outperforms T-Mobile's 20x20 B4 in that area.