Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Or... If you own or bring your own device, that should be OK too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah but phones that are being sold on ebay or craigslist are still expensive to some extent.

The nexus price and what it's worth is where phones should be priced at lol

a ) The recent discussion in this thread is about a $50 unlimited plan. I assumed you were participating in the current discussion.

b ) I don't recall comparing Verizon's network to Sprint's.

c ) If you don't find a $50 unlimited plan disruptive then I am lost. Not sure who has a better unlimited plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

a ) This thread's discussion is all over the place on speculation for new price points. The post right after your first was talking about 3GB/mo.

b ) You said you can't compare $60 for 2GB to $50 for unlimited. That's true only when you get equivalent service for each...and Verizon's network is not in the same league as Sprint's.  That's like saying a Ford can't cost $20k because I paid $130k for my Tesla. It's nonsensical.

c ) A $50 unlimited plan that's unsubsidized is not disruptive given that you can get it for $45 now with Framily, like I have. And don't forget that T-Mobile markets unlimited data for $50 too...even if some of it is slowed. But, the SimplyGlobal and unleashed music likely more than make up that difference.

Regardless what the new plans are they will be better than the current plans.

"Better" let's hope so. I think instead of starting framily at $55 they are going to take the word "framily"

Out and start the pricing at 7..($25) then keep the +$10 and +20 addons that way a "family" of 4 is still $100.

I am speculating but the new "family" plans will prolly be the bucket plans.. I expect those to be the biggest surprise as everyone will suggest sprint is moving away from unlimited, when they are just competing against the others. I am hoping there are no access fees for the devices of the first 2 are free or something that makes theirs different than the duo.

I don't see how they can do subsidized for $50 per month. $30 device subsidy built in, only getting $20 per month per subscriber. I just can't see that happening. If anything, I expect them to delink the device and the service.

Don't forget that the Easy Pay $30 plans are usually no money down, but flagship phones on a two-year plan are normally $199.99. Therefore, the subsidy on a flagship phone isn't anywhere close to $30/month to Sprint.

Most flagships retail for $650, but probably cost Sprint less since there is some profit built in to that number (for the sake of easy math, let's assume the phones cost $632.01). Once the customer pays $199.99 for the phone, Sprint only has to make up $432, which comes to $18/month over the 24 month contract.

• Like 1

Don't forget that the Easy Pay $30 plans are usually no money down, but flagship phones on a two-year plan are normally $199.99. Therefore, the subsidy on a flagship phone isn't anywhere close to $30/month to Sprint.

Most flagships retail for $650, but probably cost Sprint less since there is some profit built in to that number (for the sake of easy math, let's assume the phones cost $632.01). Once the customer pays $199.99 for the phone, Sprint only has to make up $432, which comes to $18/month over the 24 month contract.

Except you upgrade every 20 months not 24.

• Like 1

Verizon is doing unlimited talk/text, 2GB of data, and a subsidy for $60. (http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/single-line-data-plans.html)

And, Sprint obviously has to be cheaper than Verizon...so $50 subsidized isn't the least bit farfetched. 

Wow. I had no idea that plan existed. I thought their cheapest single line was $75/mo. That's enough data for me too as I'm on wifi a lot. I'll be out of contract with Sprint as of October so this just makes it that much harder to stay. I'll wait to see what they offer. 

You are forgetting that it cost Sprint to service a user on their network. The 30 a month is not pure profit. I think the last in formation I saw on the matter is that the cost per user was around 12. Which means Sprint would just be able to break even, not a good proposition for any body. I just don't get people. Nothing has changed in the wireless industry to make providing serive cheaper, in fact the opposite has happened. You are not going to get a 30 plan and a subsidy unless Sprint has given up on ever getting into the black.

If the customer has an ASL they are required to pay a down payment and typically the down payment is the subsidized price.

I think Sprint should just get rid of the ASL IMHO

• Like 1

Verizon is doing unlimited talk/text, 2GB of data, and a subsidy for $60. (http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/single-line-data-plans.html)

And, Sprint obviously has to be cheaper than Verizon...so $50 subsidized isn't the least bit farfetched.

First this a retention offer for existing customer in good standing, not an offer for new subs. Second, 2gig of data not unlimited. Third, vzw's margins are much better than sprint's so having a value offer for retention purpose makes sense for them, I don't think a 50 plan with a subsidy makes any kind of sense with Sprint.

First this a retention offer for existing customer in good standing, not an offer for new subs. Second, 2gig of data not unlimited. Third, vzw's margins are much better than sprint's so having a value offer for retention purpose makes sense for them, I don't think a 50 plan with a subsidy makes any kind of sense with Sprint.

Incorrect, that is a new plan available to new customers.

• Like 2

Incorrect, that is a new plan available to new customers.

Well that was only one point I made. But in any case not according to their website, the store i was in yesterday or the last time I talked to my vzw friend.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/landingpages/more-everything/

Well that was only one point I made. But in any case not according to their website, the store i was in yesterday or the last time I talked to my vzw friend.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/landingpages/more-everything/

You linked to the more everything landing page. It is not a more everything plan. The store you were in yesterday is uninformed of the current plan offerings. From Verizon Wireless website. Click shop-plans-single line plans. Its right there front and center for new subscribers. It was also announced as available as of 8/15 for retailers.

You linked to the more everything landing page. It is not a more everything plan. The store you were in yesterday is uninformed of the current plan offerings. From Verizon Wireless website. Click shop-plans-single line plans. Its right there front and center for new subscribers. It was also announced as available as of 8/15 for retailers.

That is all I did to get to that page. I click the link I post and it does have the more everything data plans on there. But I did call customer care and they did confirm that plan. Still Sprint can't do a 50 unlimited plan with a subsidy and personally I hope they don't. Sudsidies need to die.

• Like 2

there's probably as much as 50% markup on retail devices so that number would be high. 

there's probably as much as 50% markup on retail devices so that number would be high.

I doubt there is much markup on any device - from the carrier's POV anyway.

At least I always thought the carrier just wanted the best devices in order to sell its network. Hence the new contractless plans.

I might be very wrong too...

There is no Mark up on Apple products (for att at least) and an average of 20-50 dollars on android phones. The manufacturers capture nearly all the profits off handsets.

• Like 1

Except you upgrade every 20 months not 24.

I would guess that most subscribers wait until the new version of their current phone (iPhone, Galaxy S, Note, etc) is released, and since that is the same time each year that would mean 24-month cycles. Even on a 20-month cycle that's only $21.60/month, not $30.

i’m actually ‘pleasantly’ surprised that the new plans haven’t leaked out yet…

They have posted nothing on iconnect or in the method and procedures list. This is where retail and care employees get info. For example framily and my way and one up were posted there and immediately leaked since 38k people could see it. This time they appear to be keeping everything secret. But Monday at 6pm eastern we will find out all the details.
  • Like 4