Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

In my discussion of the Radio Shack deal, which some of you may remember, Sprint was not going to be pushing the Radio Shack brand and in fact, I said Sprint would be the only name on the storefront in these new stores. Some others mentioned co-branding, which was news to me. Standard General would put their goods on 2/3 of the floor space and Sprint on the other third. We even made jokes about them being 'Sprint Electronics' stores.

As far as I ever knew from any info I received, the Radio Shack brand was never going to be a part of the deal. So I don't see anything from the news story of selling off the Radio Shack name that impacts the Sprint store deal.

Also, don't rule out Standard General from buying the Radio Shack name, anyway.

• Like 2

As far as I ever knew from any info I received, the Radio Shack brand was never going to be a part of the deal. So I don't see anything from the news story of selling off the Radio Shack name that impacts the Sprint store deal.

If Standard General wins the name, then we get the Sprint Shack stores.

If their competitors buy the name then we get only Sprint stores. Some other comapny (Gamestop is in the talks) may then form Gamestop Shack stores which I believe is a customer nightmare scenario.

• Like 1

If Standard General wins the name, then we get the Sprint Shack stores.

If their competitors buy the name then we get only Sprint stores. Some other comapny (Gamestop is in the talks) may then form Gamestop Shack stores which I believe is a customer nightmare scenario.

In my mind, it seems to me Standard General will end up with the name. Doesn't RadioShack owe Standard General millions? I would guess that the bankruptcy judge will allow SG to get it at a discount against other bids because of money SG is owed. But trying to predict BK moves is foolish on my part.

Id rather sprint ditch the 1/3 2/3 crap and just make regular corporate store.

As long as the 1/3 is a corporate store I could care less. I've been in Corp stores and affiliate and the difference is huge. (Of course there are good affiliate stores and bad Corp ones) but from what I have experienced customer service is so much better and faster at Corp stores.

In my mind, it seems to me Standard General will end up with the name. Doesn't RadioShack owe Standard General millions? I would guess that the bankruptcy judge will allow SG to get it at a discount against other bids because of money SG is owed. But trying to predict BK moves is foolish on my part.

Yeah we really just have to sit back and let the thousands of lawyers work it out.

• Like 2

In my discussion of the Radio Shack deal, which some of you may remember, Sprint was not going to be pushing the Radio Shack brand and in fact, I said Sprint would be the only name on the storefront in these new stores. Some others mentioned co-branding, which was news to me. Standard General would put their goods on 2/3 of the floor space and Sprint on the other third. We even made jokes about them being 'Sprint Electronics' stores.

Then that blows to Kingdom Come the entire "why would Sprint associate themselves with a failing brand like RadioShack" crowd. I suspect the people who said that would have rather come out and said that Sprint was the failing brand, but that would blow their cover. 

I'm not saying that I still don't have some doubts but it makes more sense for Sprint to take over branding. I hope the final product looks more like what SoftBank stores look like in Japan, or what the new Verizon store in Farmington I go to deal with their people for my main account looks like. 

• Like 3

I thought we had a dedicated Radio Shack thread. But anyway, the Standard General/Sprint deal has now been given approval from the US Bankruptcy courts.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/02/27/radioshack-sprint-bankruptcy-deal-approved.html?ana=yahoo

• Like 3

I thought we had a dedicated Radio Shack thread. But anyway, the Standard General/Sprint deal has now been given approval from the US Bankruptcy courts.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2015/02/27/radioshack-sprint-bankruptcy-deal-approved.html?ana=yahoo

I am still confused as to why Sprint will only use about 1/3 of the retail space in the store. I would think it would be better if Sprint could just buyout the entire store. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that?

I am still confused as to why Sprint will only use about 1/3 of the retail space in the store. I would think it would be better if Sprint could just buyout the entire store. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that?

Cost saving measure, I would think.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

Seems purposely design to pump up the stock.

That's part of what hapoensbwhen you buy a tons of stocks. This indicates confidence in the future of Sprint. He wouldn't do this if he knew he would lose money. He probabkybsaw how the stock price shot up when people heard about his plans for the build out and he's buying in advance knowing that the price will shoot up again when he actually announces it.

• Like 1

Seems purposely design to pump up the stock.

He should fire his broker, then - the stock was much lower weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-launches-best-buy-one-231100438.html?.tsrc=applewf

Sprint Launches “Best Buy One Plan” – Unlimited Talk, Text and Data, Plus Your Phone – for One Low Price; Available Only at Best Buy

Lease an iPhone 6 16GB including unlimited talk, text and data while on the Sprint network, at $65 per month (excluding taxes and fees) for two years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sprint-launches-best-buy-one-231100438.html?.tsrc=applewf

Sprint Launches “Best Buy One Plan” – Unlimited Talk, Text and Data, Plus Your Phone – for One Low Price; Available Only at Best Buy

Lease an iPhone 6 16GB including unlimited talk, text and data while on the Sprint network, at $65 per month (excluding taxes and fees) for two years

This is an insane deal:

If you normally buy a phone every X years, you save Y with this lease plan AND you get a new phone every min(2, X)

X, Y - lease payment

1, $350 - $25/month lease

2, $290 - $15/mo

3, $110 - $15/mo

That's part of what hapoensbwhen you buy a tons of stocks. This indicates confidence in the future of Sprint. He wouldn't do this if he knew he would lose money. He probabkybsaw how the stock price shot up when people heard about his plans for the build out and he's buying in advance knowing that the price will shoot up again when he actually announces it.

It's actually the reverse.

If he had some big announcements coming, he can't just go and buy on the open market.

It does mean he believes in the long term future of Sprint, which is great.

• Like 1

It's actually the reverse.

If he had some big announcements coming, he can't just go and buy on the open market.

It does mean he believes in the long term future of Sprint, which is great.

Or he wanted to pump up the stock.

Unless I'm missing something, this is just $5 cheaper than the regular iPhone for life plan, and Samsung galaxy s5 option while the lg g3 option has no savings over the regular plan.

Unless I'm missing something, this is just $5 cheaper than the regular iPhone for life plan, and Samsung galaxy s5 option while the lg g3 option has no savings over the regular plan.

hey $5 is five dollars!  I mean honestly its a great deal - zero out of pocket - $65+taxes and it includes an iPhone 6!  Try that with ANY other carrier 

• Like 1

hey $5 is five dollars! I mean honestly its a great deal - zero out of pocket - $65+taxes and it includes an iPhone 6! Try that with ANY other carrier

I didn't mean that it was bad. I'm just surprised that's what they came up with. Especially with the lg g3 option being no different in price than the standard existing plan.
  • Like 1

I didn't mean that it was bad. I'm just surprised that's what they came up with. Especially with the lg g3 option being no different in price than the standard existing plan.

sorry…

my assumptions are:

— Apple was upset that Sprint didn’t sell enough iPhone (going a year or more) And when Tim met with Marcelo, he sold Tim on the upgrades going to happen with Sprint’s network.  And Tim wanted a means to offer iPhones for less money with out producing a CHEAP iPhone.  As they say win-win. 

— Marcelo is more focused on iPhones for the approve reasons; and it will give extra long term revenues to both Sprint and Brightstar.  Since typically iPhones hold value longer.

most of this has been chatted about here as well.

again just my 2cents.  

He should fire his broker, then - the stock was much lower weeks ago.

I get that this is probably a joke ;)

But realistically, Marcelo might not have much control over that. I am not an expert by any means, but there are some seriously strict and scary rules around insider information when trading.

And since he's the CEO of the company, he's probably the most at-risk of breaking (or being accused of breaking) those rules, even if only by accident.

He might have been required to buy at a certain time to help reduce his liability on the chance there were problems around that. Even if that means he gets a worse deal on the price.

• Like 2