Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

23 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Sprint demoed RCS business messaging at MWC all the way back in 2017 so hopefully that'll be announced soon too.

Sprint has done rcs messaging every since the galaxy s3. 

4 hours ago, bucdenny said:

I live in SE San Diego where AT&T competes with Cox poorly.  We didn't get Gigablast until recently in my neighborhood.  I am happy that we finally was able to order Gigablast.

Congrats.  It really is worth it.  They didn't even charge me a connection fee for last mile and since I was already on their 300MBps plan before the upgrade my pricing did not change

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I'm talking about RCS business messaging.

It seems to be a nice gimmick but how useful will it be for non-business users? It is nice to be able to have the immediate response from mobile, normally I would access such chats via laptop or desktop though, so i guess it has its use cases

Just now, JohnHovah said:

It seems to be a nice gimmick but how useful will it be for non-business users? It is nice to be able to have the immediate response from mobile, normally I would access such chats via laptop or desktop though, so i guess it has its use cases

It's being marketed to non-business users. It's only called business messaging because businesses would be using it to contact people. It would basically replace chats and those weird text messages you get from businesses that'd you have to reply "STOP" to. If you've ever you've ever contacted a business that's using a Facebook Messenger bot, it's similar to that. It has plenty of cool uses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Likely are some people avoiding Sprint because of merger talk, but then some are moving from T-Mobile hoping to be grandfathered in on cheaper plans. 

A good opportunity to talk about network improvements and 5g.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
[/url] 2.5 GHz has been deployed on approximately 75% of its macro sites.  Lots more info in the materials on the Investors site: https://investors.sprint.com/Home/default.aspx

Decent quarter .. sprint hit revenue and less customer loses, but I still don’t like that they lost 141 million in the quarter and only a What about a 5% increase on the completion number of 2.5 for the quarter [/url]

3 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Decent quarter .. sprint hit revenue and less customer loses, but I still don’t like that they lost 141 million in the quarter and only a What about a 5% increase on the completion number of 2.5 for the quarter [

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they continue upgrading 2.5 GHz at this pace or faster. I'm not sure if it's rate limited due to funding, crews or equipment availability. They did previously say that they would have the substantial majority of their macro sites updated by the end of Fiscal Year 2018: https://newsroom.sprint.com/triband-upgrades.htm (Posted: June 2018)

When our customers are on our 2.5 GHz band, they get our fastest average download speed. This is why we’re blanketing the country with this powerful spectrum. We now have 2.5 GHz deployed on roughly 60% of our macro sites and expect to complete the substantial majority of our tri-band upgrades by the end of fiscal 2018.

Today's Earnings Report is for the 3rd Quarter of Fiscal Year 2018. So we'll see where we stand in a few months I guess?

The merger isn't a done deal by any means of course.

Those churn figures detailed in the Investor Update (https://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2018/Q3/03_Fiscal-3Q18-Sprint-Quarterly-Investor-Update-FINAL.pdf) are a killer though...

Postpaid phone churn of 1.84 percent compared to 1.71 percent in the year-ago period and 1.73 percent in the prior quarter. The year-over-increase was mostly driven by customers rolling off promotional offers, while the sequential increase was mostly due to seasonality.

Prepaid churn was 4.83 percent compared to 4.63 percent for the year-ago period and 4.74 percent for the prior quarter. The year-over-year and sequential increases were impacted by more aggressive competitor promotions from all industry players while the sequential increase was also impacted by seasonality.

16 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Transcript from the Earnings Call is up: https://s21.q4cdn.com/487940486/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2018/Q3/S-US-20190131-2200667-C.pdf

Some good questions/answers in it!

I am encouraged by the fact that they are spending money on their network. No matter what happens with the merger they are investing in it. I am sure they are spending wisely with an eye towards investments that won't be stranded. One question that was not asked is why they are not working with the other major cable operators on strand mounted small cells. A CBRS/2.5GHz small cell would be a win/win for both Sprint and Comcast/Charter.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

I am encouraged by the fact that they are spending money on their network. No matter what happens with the merger they are investing in it. I am sure they are spending wisely with an eye towards investments that won't be stranded. One question that was not asked is why they are not working with the other major cable operators on strand mounted small cells. A CBRS/2.5GHz small cell would be a win/win for both Sprint and Comcast/Charter.

I agree. I am too.

Perhaps if the merger doesn’t happen, they’ll consider doing it?

A deal with RCN would be huge for the DC Area and the other areas it serves: https://www.rcn.com/hub/about-rcn/where-we-service/

It’s also a good way to avoid Comcast/Charter for a little while longer in a few major markets.

• Like 1

Article: https://www.pcmag.com/news/366278/verizon-and-at-t-jumped-the-gun-on-5g

Some great points in this article. I’m not sure why AT&T/Verizon were so desperate to move ahead with 5G. Were Sprint and T-Mobile presenting a credible and substantial competitive threat?

Someone here in central AL is offering an LTE based internet service ... it's fixed wireless ISP by LTE.  

I'm wondering which carriers have signed agreements and how does the cell customers prioritize over this fixed LTE connection...

Sardis telecom is the name. Or sardistel. Anyone feel like digging? I've seen supposed speed tests from their customers on their site.  Too good to be true is my opinion... but I could be wrong. 

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Article: https://www.pcmag.com/news/366278/verizon-and-at-t-jumped-the-gun-on-5g

Some great points in this article. I’m not sure why AT&T/Verizon were so desperate to move ahead with 5G. Were Sprint and T-Mobile presenting a credible and substantial competitive threat?

It is worse than what the article states.  When I looked at the mmWave spectrum for some of the Verizon and AT&T 5g markets I saw heavily fragmented licenses with only occasional 100Mhz chunks, the rest being 50MHz.  Licenses swapping and the standard being raised from 100MHz to 400MHz maximum channels is really what is needed for them.  Likely awaiting the outcome of the 28MHz, 24MHz, and 39MHz auctions.

T-Mobile has an ideal mmWave spectrum position in most of Ohio with 850Mhz contiguous of 28GHz spectrum including Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati, but their marketing message has all been 600MHz 5GHz which won't come until the second 5G chipset from Qualcomm.  Unfortunately for them so will other mid-band spectrum.  Tower hands told me a number of months ago that almost all of the radios they were installing for the duo were 5G upgradeable. My local T-Mobile network contacts have told me that they have not been working on mmWave.  This could be a strategic mistake by T-Mobile unless they plan on selling this spectrum or worry that it would contaminate their marketing message.  The downtown and university areas should have enough density.  They might need Sprint sites and small cells to pull it off.  The merger could be almost a year off imo, if it occurs.  Even then there are penetration issues in an area with lots of trees, although I tend to discount much of these concerns about mmWave given the same has been said about 2.5GHz.

• Like 2

It is worse than what the article states.  When I looked at the mmWave spectrum for some of the Verizon and AT&T 5g markets I saw heavily fragmented licenses with only occasional 100Mhz chunks, the rest being 50MHz.  Licenses swapping and the standard being raised from 100MHz to 400MHz maximum channels is really what is needed for them.  Likely awaiting the outcome of the 28MHz, 24MHz, and 39MHz auctions.
T-Mobile has an ideal mmWave spectrum position in most of Ohio with 850Mhz contiguous of 28GHz spectrum including Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati, but their marketing message has all been 600MHz 5GHz which won't come until the second 5G chipset from Qualcomm.  Unfortunately for them so will other mid-band spectrum.  Tower hands told me a number of months ago that almost all of the radios they were installing for the duo were 5G upgradeable. My local T-Mobile network contacts have told me that they have not been working on mmWave.  This could be a strategic mistake by T-Mobile unless they plan on selling this spectrum or worry that it would contaminate their marketing message.  The downtown and university areas should have enough density.  They might need Sprint sites and small cells to pull it off.  The merger could be almost a year off imo, if it occurs.  Even then there are penetration issues in an area with lots of trees, although I tend to discount much of these concerns about mmWave given the same has been said about 2.5GHz.

I personally think : TMO must know something we don’t. It seems they are very confident that the merger gets approved : possible video service a free one at that .. there network can’t handle that kind of traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I still feel like tmobile would have had this taken care of by now. Also why is Sprint still building new towers without b41? What happened to them saying they dont have to go back for more tower visits? Why is Masa so quiet? What happened to 4XCA that they said was going to happen in a statement almost a year ago?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1