Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

22 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

In any case these swaps will be un even .. most of tmos low band is in use or not cleared and they don’t have a ton of mid band ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really a swap, it's using the LTE bands on both networks

On 10/31/2018 at 6:20 PM, BlueAngel said:

Has anyone seen any 4x4 or 256qam yet?

Tons of us probably have experienced it but in order to confirm it you needed a rooted device. Because most of us don't root our phones we just don't know when we're using 4x4MIMO or experiencing 256QAM.

13 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Tons of us probably have experienced it but in order to confirm it you needed a rooted device. Because most of us don't root our phones we just don't know when we're using 4x4MIMO or experiencing 256QAM.

What about it all combine aka gigabit LTE like new Orleans arena last year test.

11 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the upgraded plans with upto 100gb of Hotspot etc..

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-cell-phone-plan.html?INTNAV=TopNav:Shop:UnlimitedPlans

If you are already on one of these plans, do the new hotspot allocations get updated on your new cycle or do early switchers get left out?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyclone said:

If you are already on one of these plans, do the new hotspot allocations get updated on your new cycle or do early switchers get left out?

According to posts on from Sprint employees on Reddit you do get the new allocations. 

• Like 2

NEWSFLASH!  Sprint's subscriber numbers are not going to go up while in merger limbo.  Very few want to make a commitment of a new carrier if there are going to be major changes coming that are still undefined.  How long have we been sitting here in limbo?  It will get worse as this drags on.  We cannot sit back and pretend like a merger isn't hanging over Sprint's head and then try to claim Sprint's network plan the last 18 months is the problem.  Sprint's network is better (in most places) than it was this past summer, in the last year, two years, five years and since NV was first announced.

We should be more talking about the decisions Sprint/Masa/Marcelo have made on being hell bent on a merger since 2015, and then the subsequent actual attempted merger being undertaken and those affects.  If anything.

I gotta tell you, I have done a lot of travelling since June.  Sprint data performance is competitive.  It had no more bad sites than T-Mobile or AT&T in my travels.  And there are complete cities/regions where the competition is worse.  Like here in Western Washington.  Sprint is actually very good here.  The difference between Sprint and the others with everyday data performance is less disparate now than it ever has been since 2010.  And soon it won't matter, anyway.

I'm with Trip, though.  I would like to see a honest to goodness post mortem evaluation.  I'd buy that tell all book, but not the one written by Craig Moffett.  I still believe that Sprint can find a way to compete if the T-Mobile deal falls through.  And part of that would be to focus on, dare I say it, providing 5G wireless ISP services to unconnected last mile customers.  Preferably with DISH.  And then focusing on suburban/exurban areas with one ISP choice.  Offering triple play, wireless/internet/TV.

But again, all this will not matter soon.  I think the Sprint merger is all but assured.

Robert

• Like 11
  • Love 2

Yeah, at this point the merger looks to be a question of when, not if. There are *still* a number of places around here where T-Mobile feels like they're waiting on a merger to get decent service, unless they've done something absolutely amazing with 600 in those areas.

But, as stated, T-Mobile's ISP ambitions are all about that 2.5 GHz spectrum...which Sprint has. Chuck some 5G Massive MIMO antennas on one end of the connection and a 256x64QAM HPUE outdoor CPE on the other side and all you'll be competing with is fiber, cable, or other carriers' 5G. Sell for $50/mo and you aren't even competing with cable at this point. And yes, this would work swimmingly with Dish's installer network (and with a triple play of either IPTV or satellite).

I just got this notification since I still have around 500 shares of Sprint stock. 

Can anyone put this in non-NYSE speak so I can take my 500 and decipher what I"ll have when this is completed?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KehMngDAMICwVAeuXlIDb92LTixhcUsX/view?usp=sharing

Yeah, at this point the merger looks to be a question of when, not if. There are *still* a number of places around here where T-Mobile feels like they're waiting on a merger to get decent service, unless they've done something absolutely amazing with 600 in those areas.
But, as stated, T-Mobile's ISP ambitions are all about that 2.5 GHz spectrum...which Sprint has. Chuck some 5G Massive MIMO antennas on one end of the connection and a 256x64QAM HPUE outdoor CPE on the other side and all you'll be competing with is fiber, cable, or other carriers' 5G. Sell for $50/mo and you aren't even competing with cable at this point. And yes, this would work swimmingly with Dish's installer network (and with a triple play of either IPTV or satellite).
I can see why TMO wants it. Look at Wisconsin Dells for example. TMO LTE runs off one carrier B4. No B12, only 5x5 PC's which is used on older tech and B71 isn't cleared there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 11/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, JossMan said:

I had to work on the issue first hand back in 2009/2010 when I was on the communications board for my county.  Back then our county operated a Motorola SmartNet Type 2 800 system that was experiencing this Nextel interference issue after Sprint purchased Nextel.  I suspected that Nextel knew about this becoming problem later down the road due to the fact that Nextel had went all around buying up 800 licenses for their iDEN network.  

Sprint not only had to pay for the re banding of our system but had to purchase our county entirely new radios both portable and mobile units due to the fact that the current configuration on the radio system which was built in 1997 wouldn't take the re-banded frequencies.  

Cost of Buying Nextel: $35.5B

Cost of Buying Nextel Partners: $9.1B

Cost of Buying own Affiliates: $6.5B

Cost of Rebanding: $5B

Total Cost of Merger:    $56.1

10 years worth of Capex at $5.5B/year.

• Like 4

On 11/3/2018 at 4:56 AM, iansltx said:

I have always thought that the first satellite TV provider that comes up with a good way to add cellular repeater small cells to their rooftop satellite dish installs in strategic locations could dominate the single family home internet provider market.  If done correctly, they could create a self healing, self routing, WISP style LTE repeater mesh network with LTE backhaul and every subscriber location with a suitable outside mount could be a repeater.  That LTE network would work as small cells for the mobile phones in the area and the internet pipe for the home subscribers in range.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, radem said:

I have always thought that the first satellite TV provider that comes up with a good way to add cellular repeater small cells to their rooftop satellite dish installs in strategic locations could dominate the single family home internet provider market.  If done correctly, they could create a self healing, self routing, WISP style LTE repeater mesh network with LTE backhaul and every subscriber location with a suitable outside mount could be a repeater.  That LTE network would work as small cells for the mobile phones in the area and the internet pipe for the home subscribers in range.

I’ve thought about this too. It would be pretty revolutionary if Dish went ahead and did this—I’m just not sure what the laws surrounding doing this are...I know Sprint was forced to restrict Airave usage to within some number of miles away from the nearest macro-serviced area...

• Like 1

I always thought that Sprint would partner with all the cable providers, not just Altice and Cox to deploy strand and pole mounted band 41 small cells since they lacked the site density of the other providers. They still can just as long as the small cells also include CBRS. 

https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-launches-new-campaign-highlighting-better-than-ever-network-paired-with-best-value-in-wireless.htm

Yes, the Sprint Network has come a long way! In fact, today Sprint offers 30 percent more LTE coverageand reliability customers can count on. Through its massive Next-Gen Network investment and roaming agreements, Sprint is helping customers connect in more places from coast to coast, with its largest-ever total LTE footprint.

By unleashing its deep spectrum holdings, Sprint is also dramatically enhancing network performance for its customers. Sprint LTE Advanced is now nationwide, offering customers speeds up to TWICE as fast as before for movie, music and game downloads, photo sharing and web surfing when connecting on the latest capable flagship devices.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/11/06/sprint-ups-mobile-hotspot-limits-50-gb-launches-faster-4-g-network/1898490002/

Users of Sprint's "Unlimited Plus" and "Unlimited Freedom" will now have 50GB of full-speed 4G LTE data per month, up from 15GB for Plus and 10GB for Freedom. Users of the company's pricier "Unlimited Premium" plan will see their hotspot data rise to 100GB from 50GB.

and

Those with older unlimited plans, such as the company's "Everything Data" unlimited plan that didn't have mobile hotspot, will soon be able to utilize the 50GB of hotspot data as well. The increased hotspot data is available for Plus and Premium users Tuesday with "Freedom," and "Everything Data" users able to take advantage Friday.

There is no cost to get the new hotspot data, and for Unlimited Plus and Premium users, Sprint will simply add the feature automatically. Those on some of the company's other, older unlimited plans may need to log into their accounts on Sprint's website to add the feature. 

Great news on this stuff...

• Like 5

Sprint is also being honest about the fact that they use roaming partners to have greater LTE coverage. For a long time people would knock Sprint for their use of roaming partners but it seems that they're trying to spin that into a positive. It's pretty smart.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Sprint is also being honest about the fact that they use roaming partners to have greater LTE coverage. For a long time people would knock Sprint for their use of roaming partners but it seems that they're trying to spin that into a positive. It's pretty smart.

That’s a good point.

They also must have real confidence in the network to perform well if they’re upgrading the hotspot allotment by this much.

4 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

That’s a good point.

They also must have real confidence in the network to perform well if they’re upgrading the hotspot allotment by this much.

The "Data Hogs" will start coming out of hiding.  Good way to attract them and kill a bunch of cell sites.

• Like 1

Just now, RedSpark said:

That’s a good point.

I think that it's all for show. They've probably studied how people use hotspot data for a long time and know most people aren't actually going to make use of that much hotspot data in the first place. It's just nice knowing that it's an option, even if you don't use it.

• Like 3