Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

S9 and Note 9 series.

40 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

Also LG G7 

What’s different about these handsets to enable them to support CA for UL, while the iPhone XS doesn’t?

Sprint did pretty well on Average User Speeds according to this test report by P3: http://www.p3-group.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/P3-Report_US_Speed.pdf

“Again, Verizon leads the benchmark with an average user speed of 5.3 Mbit/s. Sprint shows only slightly lower user speeds with an average of 5.2 Mbit/s. This is remarkable since Sprint’s Network Top Speed was only a little more than half of what the Verizon network showed. Obviously, consumers on Sprint face less limitations in their real life smartphone usage than users in the other networks. The average user speed with T-Mobile is 4.6 Mbit/s, while AT&T is slowest with still competitive 4.3 Mbit/s.”

Background article: https://www.rcrwireless.com/20180911/test-and-measurement/verizon-tops-p3-network-speed-analysis-but-sprint-is-a-surprise-second

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

The Intel modem In the I phone xs is upload CA ready out the box ... So,I don't think Sprint would have it disabled

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the specs for the Modem say it supports 2CA for the UL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/mobile-communications/xmm-7560-brief.html

Curious what’s up here...

40 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

What’s different about these handsets to enable them to support CA for UL, while the iPhone XS doesn’t?

Maybe because the androids have the 845, and the iPhone is going with Intel solution for their modem. 

• Like 1

Just now, RAvirani said:

The iPhone XS does support UL CA. 

But it was under Qualcomm that sprint worked with to help set it up and tune it, this is the first time Intel has done this and no one knows. 

But it was under Qualcomm that sprint worked with to help set it up and tune it, this is the first time Intel has done this and no one knows. 
If the modem support the technology... And Sprint has it enabled on the network side .. I don't see a reason as to why it won't work

2 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

If the modem support the technology... And Sprint has it enabled on the network side .. I don't see a reason as to why it won't work

Plus that little spat still going on between Qualcomm and apple in which Qualcomm is stating that apple has been forwarding Qualcomm ip to Intel which is a whole other can of worms that's been opened. 

Plus that little spat still going on between Qualcomm and apple in which Qualcomm is stating that apple has been forwarding Qualcomm ip to Intel which is a whole other can of worms that's been opened. 
Your speaking about something totally different if I'm understanding correctly.. your talking about certain tech that Intel uses and hasn't paid Qualcomm it's royalties for it

7 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

No those will not support it and will have limited Mimo streams . Google did the same last year not surprised

Source?

Wasn't the Pixel 2 XL 3x CA DL; 256QAM; 4x4 MIMO; HPUE?

47 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

The fact a modem supports a technology doesn't matter. It's down to the manufacturer to license the specific technology and engineer the device's RF hardware to take advantage of it. 

The iPhones  For Sprint are (not XR) are 4x4 B25/41, 256/64 QAM, 5 DL CA, 2 UL CA (B7 / 41 2CC). 

• Like 3

The fact a modem supports a technology doesn't matter. It's down to the manufacturer to license the specific technology and engineer the device's RF hardware to take advantage of it.  The iPhones are (not XR) are 4x4, 256/64 QAM, 4 DL CA, 2 UL CA (B7 / 41 2CC). 

Interesting, so Intel shows the modem to be capable of 5xca downlink, but on Sprint it can only make use of 4xca downlink.. 

Btw, Tim are you able to link to to your post about the new pixels not supporting 2xca upload and limited mimo streams

1 minute ago, tyroned3222 said:

Interesting, so Intel shows the modem to be capable of 5xca downlink, but on Sprint it can only make use of 4xca downlink.. 

Btw, Tim are you able to link to to your post about the new pixels not supporting 2xca upload and limited mimo streams

5 CA DL for B41. Just double checked the FCC filings. 

Pixels --> https://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7893-pixel-3-xl-in-fcc-oet/

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

The fact a modem supports a technology doesn't matter. It's down to the manufacturer to license the specific technology and engineer the device's RF hardware to take advantage of it. 

The iPhones  For Sprint are (not XR) are 4x4 B25/41, 256/64 QAM, 5 DL CA, 2 UL CA (B7 / 41 2CC). 

Wasn’t there an issue that you couldn’t have 2 UL CA if you had HPUE enabled or am I misunderstanding this?

3 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Wasn’t there an issue that you couldn’t have 2 UL CA if you had HPUE enabled or am I misunderstanding this?

When UL B41 CA is active, HPUE is disabled. FCC exposure regulations. 

• Like 4

5 CA DL for B41. Just double checked the FCC filings. 
Pixels --> https://s4gru.com/forums/topic/7893-pixel-3-xl-in-fcc-oet/

Got one more question.. I have a few friends that are using Sprint in market's that are part of the soft launch for volte.. are reporting lots of drops to 1x now and toggling airplane mode isn't helping much. Could that be because of the volte launch ?

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

If I had to guess, I would say that it is likely that with a strong signal, B41 upload CA will be enabled and with a weak signal B41 upload CA will be disabled and HPUE will be enabled.  That would give the best experience to the user.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

Are there criteria which determine whether UL B41 CA is active and that disable HPUE?

Is this determined by the network or on the device itself?

Or, will a device like the iPhone XS always have HPUE enabled, which disables UL B41 CA?

18 minutes ago, radem said:

If I had to guess, I would say that it is likely that with a strong signal, B41 upload CA will be enabled and with a weak signal B41 upload CA will be disabled and HPUE will be enabled.  That would give the best experience to the user.

That’s a great potential explanation.

Are there criteria which determine whether UL B41 CA is active and that disable HPUE?
Is this determined by the network or on the device itself?
Or, will a device like the iPhone XS always have HPUE enabled, which disables UL B41 CA?
After further testing by @terrell ... 2xca upload cuts out when you hit 100DBM .. which at that point it would seem that hpue will kick in again

• Like 1