Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, greenbastard said:

This doesn't kill the merger talk. This is just 4G. Sprint is going to need a lot of money if they want their 2.5 Ghz spectrum to really work.

There are still too many outdoor spots were 2.5 Ghz doesn't reach in major markets today. I don't think I have seen a new Sprint macro tower go up in my area in ages now. Hopefully after the merger, the EBS/BRS band is put to good use.

It should kill the merger talk in this thread, because we have a whole thread dedicated to merger talk here: 

- Trip

• Like 6

3 hours ago, swintec said:

T-Mobile roaming active for me, started today, in Maine.

Fwiw, it wouldnt be a sprint change / enhancement if it didnt cause me some minor annoyance that I need to deal with.  In this case, when connected to t-mobile lte, it seems to be running on GMT for time so the phone rolls ahead 4 hours causing issues with texting (and probably other stuff).  Progress I suppose. lol

EDIT- I did see some quick connections to band 12 as well.

Everything in your post is consistent with my T-Mobile roaming experience, except that I could not connect to Band 12.  I'll be back in that neighborhood early next week, so we'll see if that's changed at all.

- Trip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Looks like Samsung Clear sites are starting to see CA upload as well! Good stuff!

I wonder when we’re going to see this on the ALU (Nokia) gear here in the DC Market. I hope they’re swapping out the legacy Clearwire equipment for Massive MIMO.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swintec said:

T-Mobile roaming active for me, started today, in Maine.

Fwiw, it wouldnt be a sprint change / enhancement if it didnt cause me some minor annoyance that I need to deal with.  In this case, when connected to t-mobile lte, it seems to be running on GMT for time so the phone rolls ahead 4 hours causing issues with texting (and probably other stuff).  Progress I suppose. lol

EDIT- I did see some quick connections to band 12 as well.

Screenshot_20180817-160719.png

Screenshot_20180817-192225.png

Thanks for this post. I have been noticing that my clock also is off by 4  hours sometimes inside my building. I didn't think to check that it was carrier related but will check it the next time. I do roam onto other carriers inside the building unless standing next to the front window.

This can happen even when bouncing from tower to tower on the same carrier. It's tower dependent. It took me over a month one time to convince Sprint they had a tower close to my workplace with a clock set to the wrong time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 8/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, Paynefanbro said:

I'm aware however Massive MIMO equipment is 5G equipment in the case of Sprint. All work being done with regard to Massive MIMO also applies to 5G-NR even though it won't go live for a few months. That's why I said they're the same step. 

It is disappointing that Sprint does not have a not Massive MIMO 5G option.  I assume the price would be significantly less for less robust solution that would allow for both 4G and 5NR.  This would allow more places to have 5NR sooner.

4 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

It is disappointing that Sprint does not have a not Massive MIMO 5G option.  I assume the price would be significantly less for less robust solution that would allow for both 4G and 5NR.  This would allow more places to have 5NR sooner.

Pretty sure they can slowly repurpose LTE portion of M-MIMO to 5G nr so that shouldn't be a problem in the very long run. Just like Clear equipment, and those have served their purpose quite well over the last 6 years.

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Pretty sure they can slowly repurpose LTE portion of M-MIMO to 5G nr so that shouldn't be a problem in the very long run. Just like Clear equipment, and those have served their purpose quite well over the last 6 years.

I should have explicitly said cheaper.  4G will be around for a while with the average phone life at 3 years, meaning some keep their phone for 4 or 5 years or even longer.

6 hours ago, dkyeager said:

I should have explicitly said cheaper.  4G will be around for a while with the average phone life at 3 years, meaning some keep their phone for 4 or 5 years or even longer.

Massive MIMO is actually a very cost effective upgrade for both LTE and 5G:

Dr. saw shared much more detail about the cost efficiencies of Massive MIMO are realized in this article: https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sprint-cto-parts-curtain-carrier-s-5g-buildout-process-goals-and-phones

Saw today said that, after Sprint’s technicians install the antenna/radio units and the baseband units, the carrier later will have to install a channel card into the baseband unit in order to turn on 5G services. However, he said that work will cost much less because technicians won’t have to climb the tower in order to install the channel card; instead, they can drive to the base of the tower and install the channel card into the baseband unit at the bottom of the tower.

Then, Saw said, Sprint can activate 5G services through a remote software upgrade. The company has promisedto launch its nationwide mobile 5G network in first half of 2019.

Interestingly, Samsung’s Nyffeler explained that the company’s antenna/radio units will be able to support both 5G and LTE services—and will be able to remotely allocate more spectral capacity toward one technology or the other. That means, Nyffeler said, that Sprint will be able to dynamically take 2.5 GHz spectrum away from its LTE network and allocate it to its 5G network as customer demand grows, without technicians having to climb the company’s towers. Saw cautioned that Sprint would likely keep a significant amount of spectrum dedicated to its LTE network since its customers currently use that technology.

This sounds pretty awesome. Because Sprint has so much 2.5 Spectrum, it’s able to do this. The more Massive MIMO sites there are, the better the LTE network will be today and the better the 5G network will be in the future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Massive MIMO is actually a very cost effective upgrade for both LTE and 5G:

Dr. saw shared much more detail about the cost efficiencies of Massive MIMO are realized in this article: https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/sprint-cto-parts-curtain-carrier-s-5g-buildout-process-goals-and-phones

Saw today said that, after Sprint’s technicians install the antenna/radio units and the baseband units, the carrier later will have to install a channel card into the baseband unit in order to turn on 5G services. However, he said that work will cost much less because technicians won’t have to climb the tower in order to install the channel card; instead, they can drive to the base of the tower and install the channel card into the baseband unit at the bottom of the tower.

Then, Saw said, Sprint can activate 5G services through a remote software upgrade. The company has promisedto launch its nationwide mobile 5G network in first half of 2019.

Interestingly, Samsung’s Nyffeler explained that the company’s antenna/radio units will be able to support both 5G and LTE services—and will be able to remotely allocate more spectral capacity toward one technology or the other. That means, Nyffeler said, that Sprint will be able to dynamically take 2.5 GHz spectrum away from its LTE network and allocate it to its 5G network as customer demand grows, without technicians having to climb the company’s towers. Saw cautioned that Sprint would likely keep a significant amount of spectrum dedicated to its LTE network since its customers currently use that technology.

This sounds pretty awesome. Because Sprint has so much 2.5 Spectrum, it’s able to do this. The more Massive MIMO sites there are, the better the LTE network will be today and the better the 5G network will be in the future.

I would like to see the cost versus 8T8R.

6 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

It's Sprint old legacy 3G equipment

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sprint still hasn't finished El Paso?!? I know there are a few sites that haven't been touched in West Texas (SW of Monahans and between Van Horn and Fort Stockton), but if this site is in the immediate El Paso area, then this is just....?.

• Like 2

Sprint still hasn't finished El Paso?!? I know there are a few sites that haven't been touched in West Texas (SW of Monahans and between Van Horn and Fort Stockton), but if this site is in the immediate El Paso area, then this is just....[emoji52].
Ya, I'm sure on a bigger scale there are a few more then we would like out there

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Perhaps they would have been more competitive if these upgrades occurred before the announcement of the merger thus the govt would have vetoed this merger more easily. 

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I wonder why Sprint waited until now to push out all of these software upgrades to the network?

Some required core updates, prerequisite upgrades, Samsung sites may have required special modules and then changing the GCI sectors (Sprint tends not to go ahead until all three of its vendors can do something. Latest example - Massive MIMO). Another huge factor was likely the cost of backhaul. They also had to get Son's approval and raise the capital.  5G represents a leapfrog opportunity for Sprint.  Most people don't understand how close to bankruptcy Sprint was before Marcelo took over.

• Like 6