Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 hour ago, shannonbrian said:

I got 89 up on Band 25 10x10 ca 5mhz 15mhz total. no 256qam

How do you know its not 256QAM? I've noticed that the device engineering screens are not displaying it properly. NSG is needed to confirm.

• Like 2

It also doesnt give them the resources to build out a 5g network properly, restore their brands or come up with a market place niche. I was asking back in 2014 why would someone buy sprint amd cam only come up with price. That is still the case. How is VoLTE going to work on their network across most markets? There is a reason people have to opt. Into it. 
Your post is referring to scalability..volte will have issues just like any other carrier but Sprint can't afford to have that bad rep again so they're allowing you to opt out if it's really bad nothing wrong with that

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

Let's not pretend that every carrier didn't have opt-in VoLTE. Verizon had opt-in and AT&T started with even fewer markets than Sprint is starting with. The only exception was T-Mobile and that was because they had a fallback option. Even then their call reliability was horrible for years until they managed to fill in the gaps. To your point about not having the resources to build out a proper 5G network, I'm confused about what that even means when they're deploying a proper 5G network right now. And while yes the Sprint brand is tarnished that doesn't mean they can't fix that. T-Mobile's brand was in an even worse position than Sprint's at one point and to some T-Mobile is still a brand they wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but they are doing fine now.

I dont think so. It is onky being deployee in urban cores. Not even suburbs are getting 5 g love by enlarge. If they were serious about building a 5g network 75 percent of their towers would be palmed for massive Mimo upgrades, as it is it is closer to a quarter.  You anti merger people live in a fantasy world if you think sprint will be anything more than a metro or cricket circa 2013 if the merger doesnt go through. 

P.s.. There brand is still trash compared to even T mobile worst year. And T-Mobile recovered after billions and years of rebranding. Where are those billions going to come for sprint? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Your post is referring to scalability..volte will have issues just like any other carrier but Sprint can't afford to have that bad rep again so they're allowing you to opt out if it's really bad nothing wrong with that

Volte will not work in my market at all. You lose LTE signal about 10-15 percent of the time outside and 30-40 percent inside and I live in the 6th largest metro area in the US. This goes far beyond any issues others had with VoLTE. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

I dont think so. It is onky being deployee in urban cores. Not even suburbs are getting 5 g love by enlarge. If they were serious about building a 5g network 75 percent of their towers would be palmed for massive Mimo upgrades, as it is it is closer to a quarter.  You anti merger people live in a fantasy world if you think sprint will be anything more than a metro or cricket circa 2013 if the merger doesnt go through. 

P.s.. There brand is still trash compared to even T mobile worst year. And T-Mobile recovered after billions and years of rebranding. Where are those billions going to come for sprint? 

Sprint has already expanded it's 5G deployment prospects given how when initially announced sprint said they would only be deploying their 5G in Manhattan for the NYC market but the first site we found was in a purely residential area far away from Manhattan. I'm also confused about where you get your numbers from about what percentage of sites are getting 5G. We shouldn't make statements if we can't back them up. Just looking at their 5G deployment map alone you can see that Sprint's main focus is cities and their suburbs within the next 5 years.

I never said Sprint's brand isn't tarnished, I simply said their brand right now is not as bad as T-Mobile's at its worst. T-Mobile began their turnaround by investing in their network and then offering competitive prices to match which is exactly the same path Sprint is taking right now by investing over $1 Billion per quarter. I never claimed to be pro or anti-merger, I am just interested in the facts of both sides.

Edit: I forgot to mention that literally only T-Mobile is deploying 5G outside of metro areas and even then it'll be barely faster than what you can currently get using LTE. We should come to grips with the fact that "true 5G" will almost exclusively deployed in cities for at least the first few years. I'm fairly certain that the larger carriers will be dependent on smaller rural carriers for 5G roaming in rural areas

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is anti merger.. 1st not 1 carrier currently at this point is bringing 5G to other areas other then the city that we're annouced and even in those cities its questionable how widespread it will be so your argument on that part is irrelevant.. 2nd. Massive Mimo isn't cheap to install, so that would happen over time. Sprints brand is showing signs of live again in the last few Quarters nothing crazy, but it's something

55 minutes ago, derrph said:

Was at the Jay-Z, Beyonce concert at the Ohio Stadium. Granted I don't have Sprint anymore but one of my friends did. Her calls were failing and nothing loaded(My carrier T-mobile included...the service didn't try to put up a fight to load anything despite having a full LTE signal) and the concert didn't really start until 7:30pm. We were in the stadium and at our seats by 6:10 with the gates opening at 6pm so there wasn't many people seated. Once we left and got outside those concrete and steel walls, her service went back to normal. I don't see why OSU does not have contacts with these carriers to allow them to install network equipment in the stadium.

WiFi is coming in 2019: https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/04/buckeye_fans_will_finally_have.html

“Ohio State had signed a contract with Verizon in 2012 to bring WiFi to the stadium and basketball arena by fall 2015, but the installation did not occur. WiFi was put on hold as Ohio State sued the company.”

“University officials said the lawsuit is still pending.”

Sprint... just wait a little longer... it's coming.... almost ...   keep waiting...   LOL

I want them to do more than just here or there improvements... when is the magic switch going to be engaged to fix so many slow network issues... 

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

I don't think anyone is anti merger.. 1st not 1 carrier currently at this point is bringing 5G to other areas other then the city that we're annouced and even in those cities its questionable how widespread it will be so your argument on that part is irrelevant.. 2nd. Massive Mimo isn't cheap to install, so that would happen over time. Sprints brand is showing signs of live again in the last few Quarters nothing crazy, but it's something

Sprint's brand isnt good. It is far, far behind every carrier. The can brand about being most improved but when you start negative and people view you slightly less negative that doesnt make your brand good. 

I know massive mimo isn't cheap and sprint doesnt have the resources to deploy it properly. That is my argument. The merger has to happen if we are going to have at least one carrier that will deploy 5g on what any reasonable person would understand to be a national level. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

Sprint's brand isnt good. ...

I know massive mimo isn't cheap and sprint doesnt have the resources to deploy it properly. That is my argument. 

My argument also....    Well said!    

Champagne promises on a paper plate budget.    And Softbank isn't going to give you money or keep you... you'll (Sprint) will be back on the chopping block for partners/ merger victims....   

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Sprint has already expanded it's 5G deployment prospects given how when initially announced sprint said they would only be deploying their 5G in Manhattan for the NYC market but the first site we found was in a purely residential area far away from Manhattan. I'm also confused about where you get your numbers from about what percentage of sites are getting 5G. We shouldn't make statements if we can't back them up. Just looking at their 5G deployment map alone you can see that Sprint's main focus is cities and their suburbs within the next 5 years.

I never said Sprint's brand isn't tarnished, I simply said their brand right now is not as bad as T-Mobile's at its worst. T-Mobile began their turnaround by investing in their network and then offering competitive prices to match which is exactly the same path Sprint is taking right now by investing over $1 Billion per quarter. I never claimed to be pro or anti-merger, I am just interested in the facts of both sides.

Edit: I forgot to mention that literally only T-Mobile is deploying 5G outside of metro areas and even then it'll be barely faster than what you can currently get using LTE. We should come to grips with the fact that "true 5G" will almost exclusively deployed in cities for at least the first few years. I'm fairly certain that the larger carriers will be dependent on smaller rural carriers for 5G roaming in rural areas

It is an estimate based on the statement john saw has made on deploying massive mimo on "thousands" of sites and him not saying "10s of thousands". I think it is reasonable to assume that means around 10000 given how the company is known for making exaggerated statements on it's network investments.i think you are wrong on the brand issue but even of it was slightly better that T-Mobile at it worse, how much debt did t-mobile have when it started it's network investment and rebranding campaign? Far, far less that Sprint, where is their degrading money going to come from? Sprint has two roads to walk down, the cheap city carrier like what cricket and metro use to be or the merger. The merger gives us a killer 5g network that is truly nationa wide. I vote for that. 

Fascinating experience yesterday with ALU 8T8R and Nokia 2.5 small cells. Surprisingly I have not dropped to EVDO / 1x in this 800'less market. 1900 holds on for dear life. 

Oh and 3xCA B41 4x4 MIMO on 2.5 helps too I guess?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Fascinating experience yesterday with ALU 8T8R and Nokia 2.5 small cells. Surprisingly I have not dropped to EVDO / 1x in this 800'less market. 1900 holds on for dear life. 

Oh and 3xCA B41 4x4 MIMO on 2.5 helps too I guess?

HAHA AWESOME! Good way to kill merger talk! Quite frankly thats become stale and boring. Now this is what I'm talking about!!!

FINALLY 4x4MIMO on B41 and its on an ALU site! thats pretty amazing in itself!

• Like 1

Look the formula to fix Sprint's network regardless of the merger is pretty well known:

1. Deploy 800Mhz/2.5GHz on all present sites

2. Turn on 3CA download, 4x4 MIMO, 256 QAM network wide

3. Turn on 2xCA upload network wide

4. Deploy coverage sites (macro, mini macro strand) to address coverage gaps and capacity

5. Massive MIMO in hotspots

6. Deploy VOLTE in cities and towns with very good coverage

7. Deploy 5G in hotspots

See how far down 5G is in my list?

31 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Look the formula to fix Sprint's network regardless of the merger is pretty well known:

1. Deploy 800Mhz/2.5GHz on all present sites

2. Turn on 3CA download, 4x4 MIMO, 256 QAM network wide

3. Turn on 2xCA upload network wide

4. Deploy coverage sites (macro, mini macro strand) to address coverage gaps and capacity

5. Massive MIMO in hotspots

6. Deploy VOLTE in cities and towns with very good coverage

7. Deploy 5G in hotspots

See how far down 5G is in my list?

5 and 7 are the same step though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paynefanbro said:

5 and 7 are the same step though.

Massive MIMO will benefit LTE also. 5G is not just massive MIMO. You have a new codec (NR) and a more advanced network architecture.

20 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Massive MIMO will benefit LTE also. 5G is not just massive MIMO. You have a new codec (NR) and a more advanced network architecture.

I'm aware however Massive MIMO equipment is 5G equipment in the case of Sprint. All work being done with regard to Massive MIMO also applies to 5G-NR even though it won't go live for a few months. That's why I said they're the same step. 

1 hour ago, utiz4321 said:

Sprint's brand isnt good. It is far, far behind every carrier. The can brand about being most improved but when you start negative and people view you slightly less negative that doesnt make your brand good. 

I know massive mimo isn't cheap and sprint doesnt have the resources to deploy it properly. That is my argument. The merger has to happen if we are going to have at least one carrier that will deploy 5g on what any reasonable person would understand to be a national level. 

When the companies know what 5G actually is, then they can deploy it. Right now, it is just 1 higher than 4G (?).

I personally think if there is a merger that the new company name should be Sprint. Not T-Mobile, it needs to be a better name without a hyphen. 

Sprint is far more than wireless, look at their fiber network around the world, that is of very high quality. This is one of the big reasons why T-Mobile want Sprint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

It's not one city though. Sprint just chose to highlight their largest market this time around. City after city is showing average download speeds nearly doubling according to RootMetrics. That combined with 256/64QAM, upload 2xCA, and a renewed promise to deploy thousands of massive MIMO sites over the next 2 years is good news.

The NYC update is great news. Hopefully the next “city update” comes soon, before the halo effect of this one fades.

You could make a case that it would be better for Sprint to announce this kind of good news for multiple cities at once... if it’s actually possible to do that. It may not be given Sprint’s deployment/upgrade pace.

9 hours ago, dro1984 said:

I'm beginning to suspect they are re-farming 2500 for other uses, as I only now have 1900 available ever.   

No, that is not happening. Whatever is causing you to be on B25 instead of B41, it is not because they are repurposing the 25/2600 spectrum.

T-Mobile roaming active for me, started today, in Maine.

Fwiw, it wouldnt be a sprint change / enhancement if it didnt cause me some minor annoyance that I need to deal with.  In this case, when connected to t-mobile lte, it seems to be running on GMT for time so the phone rolls ahead 4 hours causing issues with texting (and probably other stuff).  Progress I suppose. lol

EDIT- I did see some quick connections to band 12 as well.

Screenshot_20180817-160719.png

Screenshot_20180817-192225.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

HAHA AWESOME! Good way to kill merger talk! Quite frankly thats become stale and boring. Now this is what I'm talking about!!!

FINALLY 4x4MIMO on B41 and its on an ALU site! thats pretty amazing in itself!

This doesn't kill the merger talk. This is just 4G. Sprint is going to need a lot of money if they want their 2.5 Ghz spectrum to really work.

There are still too many outdoor spots were 2.5 Ghz doesn't reach in major markets today. I don't think I have seen a new Sprint macro tower go up in my area in ages now. Hopefully after the merger, the EBS/BRS band is put to good use.