Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

37 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

So wrong! but this kinda explains why I barely need upload bandwidth while speaking to my girl :hmm::lol:

that explains why i hardly need evdo when texting my girl XD

Verizon confirms their CDMA network will be shut down end of December 2019 (next year).  As of today, will not activate any CDMA only devices.   

Verizon to shut it's CDMA off December 2019. 

Edited by dro1984
Added device info.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Verizon confirms their CDMA network will be shut down end of December 2019 (next year).  As of today, will not activate any CDMA only devices.   

Verizon to shut it's CDMA off December 2019. 

If the merger fails, how long will Sprint’s CDMA remain live?

If the merger succeeds, how long will Sprint’s CDMA remain live?

16 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

If the merger doesn't go through then CDMA will likely be kept on for a while until the vast majority of Sprint's voice and data traffic are over LTE. If it succeeds I'm guessing it would happen within 5 years since T-Mobile will migrate Sprint's customers to their VoLTE service.

• Like 1

I would imagine that the 1X 800 carrier will linger for a long time, even if the rest of the 1X/EV-DO in PCS goes away.  There's not much else you can do with that sliver of spectrum.

- Trip

• Like 3

I think Verizon will be an all LTE network at least 2 years before anyone else .. if the merger is approved I don't think that will be the main priority for TMO right of the back .. and currently neither T-Mobile or Sprint network are ready for that.. eventually TMO will get there, but network integration will be the main priority

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

If the merger doesn't go through then CDMA will likely be kept on for a while until the vast majority of Sprint's voice and data traffic are over LTE. If it succeeds I'm guessing it would happen within 5 years since T-Mobile will migrate Sprint's customers to their VoLTE service.

If the merger doesn’t go through, would Sprint go the same route as Verizon and stop selling CDMA devices at some point prior to a shutdown?

If the merger does go through, I can envision T-Mobile shutting down CDMA relatively quickly as it did for MetroPCS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedSpark said:

If the merger doesn’t go through, would Sprint go the same route as Verizon and stop selling CDMA devices at some point prior to a shutdown?

If the merger does go through, I can envision T-Mobile shutting down CDMA relatively quickly as it did for MetroPCS.

I would assume so. Verizon is leading the pack for CDMA carriers so it would make sense for Sprint and pretty much any other CDMA carrier in the country to follow in their footsteps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

I think Verizon will be an all LTE network at least 2 years before anyone else .. if the merger is approved I don't think that will be the main priority for TMO right of the back .. and currently neither T-Mobile or Sprint network are ready for that.. eventually TMO will get there, but network integration will be the main priority

I think the others are going to go faster than you think...Probably not much further than 2020 (2 years).     T-Mobile is already re farming their older 3G space... Neville Ray had said in the past that he would like to follow Verizon's shut down date not too much further than what Verizon's is. (see link below)      AT&T just shut their 2G down in January and is now eyeing 3G's deadline. They have not made a date public.

T-Mobile plan to sundown 3G

Edited by dro1984
Added T-Mobile link

One might think it could get really hard for customers on CDMA carriers not named Verizon when big red turns it off and those other guys are left with significantly less voice roaming coverage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, DurhamHusker said:

One might think it could get really hard for customers on CDMA carriers not named Verizon when big red turns it off and those other guys are left with significantly less voice roaming coverage.

Verizon has already shut down any evdo coverage on a couple sites. Show their CDMA shutdown has begun.

I think the others are going to go faster than you think...Probably not much further than 2020 (2 years).     T-Mobile is already re farming their older 3G space... Neville Ray had said in the past that he would like to follow Verizon's shut down date not too much further than what Verizon's is. (see link below)      AT&T just shut their 2G down in January and is now eyeing 3G's deadline. They have not made a date public.
T-Mobile plan to sundown 3G
I did see that as well, but TMO is still at least 400 thousad square miles behind Verizons LTE coverage.. and some of there band 71 is still not cleared.. I don't see that happening anytime soon.. the only one that can maybe match that date is att.. if att even wants to do that

23 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

I did see that as well, but TMO is still at least 400 thousad square miles behind Verizons LTE coverage.. and some of there band 71 is still not cleared.. I don't see that happening anytime soon.. the only one that can maybe match that date is att.. if att even wants to do that

I see that TMobile already had the band 71 license for released for this area so it's all good. Just needs to be taken care of now. To launch it.

1 hour ago, DurhamHusker said:

A lot of rural carriers are part of the CCA which is basically a lobbying group that advocates for the interests of smaller carriers. Part of being in the CCA means you get favorable roaming agreements. Currently, the combined coverage of all CCA members more or less matches Verizon's coverage. So while having Verizon may have made it easy to use them as a one stop shop for all of the U.S., it isn't like they are left with no options.

Are there truly that many folks that use Verizon roaming on Sprint?! In my 13 year run with Sprint I've semi successfully made two calls on Verizon roaming and one was in a basement and that call dropped, and the other was in a super small town upstate NY and that call kept failing. I just don't see the need for it anymore, if your constantly in a fringe area that ends up roaming on V, you should probably just switch to Verizon or whoever covers those places.

22 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

A lot of rural carriers are part of the CCA which is basically a lobbying group that advocates for the interests of smaller carriers. Part of being in the CCA means you get favorable roaming agreements. Currently, the combined coverage of all CCA members more or less matches Verizon's coverage. So while having Verizon may have made it easy to use them as a one stop shop for all of the U.S., it isn't like they are left with no options.

2 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Are there truly that many folks that use Verizon roaming on Sprint?! In my 13 year run with Sprint I've successfully made two calls on Verizon roaming and one was in a basement and that call dropped, and the other was in a super in a super small town upstate NY and that call kept failing. I just don't see the need for it anymore, if your constantly in a fringe area that ends up roaming on V, you should probably just switch to Verizon or whoever covers those places.

I don't live or work or even sit down in those places for very long. But they do exist. Sparsely populated, rural areas of Kansas and Nebraska will occasionally show Verizon roaming for me on SCP. In emergency situations that can be a bummer. Rare, admittedly, but not impossible considering the players involved.

Did anyone else see this about the new Unlimited Plus plan?

Individual Unlimited Plus Plans have an annual upgrade built in. After 12 consecutive lease payments, you can turn in your device and upgrade to a new device via lease or monthly installments.

When they say individual Unlimited Plus plans, do they mean single line Unlimited Plus accounts or do they mean each line that has Unlimited Plus on an account.

https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/sprint_com/us/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-galaxy-forever.html

1 hour ago, DurhamHusker said:

I don't live or work or even sit down in those places for very long. But they do exist. Sparsely populated, rural areas of Kansas and Nebraska will occasionally show Verizon roaming for me on SCP. In emergency situations that can be a bummer. Rare, admittedly, but not impossible considering the players involved.

In between the CCA roaming agreements, KS and NE had some roaming on Verizon. Most areas are now covered by a combination of USCC, NexTech and Pioneer. There might be a few spots in far NW Nebraska that still roam on Verizon, but I would say 98-99% of KS is covered by a extended network partner.

• Like 2

If the Merger happens pcs CDMA will be shutdown not long after. 1x800 will stay for a while. Sprint customers will be moved over to TMobiles VOLTE. Hopefully Sprint will have volte to be them making it easier

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's where Sprint comes in handy. TMobile can deploy B26 where B71 isn't clear and for sure where's it's not cleared and, they don't have B12 either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

In between the CCA roaming agreements, KS and NE had some roaming on Verizon. Most areas are now covered by a combination of USCC, NexTech and Pioneer. There might be a few spots in far NW Nebraska that still roam on Verizon, but I would say 98-99% of KS is covered by a extended network partner. 

Pretty much the entire Nebraska panhandle is verizon roaming. If the merger goes through, that will switch over to T-Mobile's roaming deal with Viaero.

• Like 1

I would love to hear some information on how the Tmo native roaming will occur and how it will be completed. I assume I won't have service for example in town but on fringe areas will I get bumped to Tmo? 

Pretty much the entire Nebraska panhandle is verizon roaming. If the merger goes through, that will switch over to T-Mobile's roaming deal with Viaero.
Roaming under TMO starts now if the merger is approved or not

Sprint will show a higher churn as people's promotions ended this year from the 50% offer.. I do see Sprint adding postpaid, but not that much ..