Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

6 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Does that tower have B41?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That tower, yes.

I see more mass upgrades by TMO on 600mhz -- it seems they did an amazing and fast roll out. If I recall folks here thougt TMO wouldn't be able to see much strides for a year plus.

Reason I bring it up is TMO can't have much more free cash than Sprint. Yet can operate fast and lean.

Positive note Sprint has rocked it's upgrades this past year...

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

On 4/23/2018 at 9:34 PM, Johnner1999 said:

Still nowhere as fast as TMobile does. It's kinda fast for Sprint.

Southern Linc's 2018 Spring Newsletter subtly mentioned Sprint. They wrote "We also expect to offer nationwide cellular (VoLTE) service, but the timeline for that launch looks like it will be later in 2018." They also wrote that they have offered their nationwide partners the opportunity to use their "CriticalLinc" network (in green) but no one has taken them up on it yet.

My guess is Sprint will launch VoLTE first and then activate roaming on their network since it is an all LTE network as far as I know.

vector-map.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

My guess is Sprint will launch VoLTE first and then activate roaming on their network since it is an all LTE network as far as I know.

They don’t have to — they could just do what they’ve done with AT&T roaming: AT&T LTE for data and 1x fallback (on Verizon or some other regional provider) for voice. 

20 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Looks like Massive MIMO sites are going up now!

Bam there we go! The Friday news dump. It’s just kinda hard to think there’s a possible merger if they are using money and putting up MM on their towers that could possible be shut off if that tower is redundant in the area to what T-Mobile has. 

Just now, derrph said:

Bam there we go! The Friday news dump. It’s just kinda hard to think there’s a possible merger if they are using money and putting up MM on their towers that could possible be shut off if that tower is redundant in the area to what T-Mobile has. 

There is no way a MM tower is going down thats offering 10x the capacity of any Tmobile site.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derrph said:

Even if the merger is agreed upon, they will probably coordinate where Sprint's expansion will take place. They will open both networks for roaming. I am pretty sure that 2.5GHz expansion will take place no matter what. I'm not sure about PCS and 800Mhz. I wonder what happens to the 800Mhz spectrum if the merger goes through? Could certain network elements be sold to Dish?

Edited by bigsnake49

2 hours ago, derrph said:

We should avoid abbreviating Massive MIMO as MM. It doesn't make sense and it can easily be confused for Mini Macro.

• Like 5

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, Johnner1999 said:

I see more mass upgrades by TMO on 600mhz -- it seems they did an amazing and fast roll out. If I recall folks here thougt TMO wouldn't be able to see much strides for a year plus.

Reason I bring it up is TMO can't have much more free cash than Sprint. Yet can operate fast and lean.

Not me, I didn't doubt T-Mobile at all with these fast rollouts. Quite the opposite, as I've been saying here many times they'd be quick at it. Actually is one of the reasons I'm now strongly supporting the merger with Sprint, because after its all done, a year after the merger we'll all be here talking about it and I'd be willing to bet even the most anti-merger crowd here on S4GRU will be admitting the merger has been great for the network, even if they still wish Sprint had gone at it alone.

Thing is, I understand and agree with this. If Sprint were truly alone - meaning no Softbank, I'd be more against this merger wanting Sprint to be strong and continue doing what they can to grow the network by getting funding and other deals that don't involve an outside company taking over Sprint in any way. However, nothing Sprint-related would make me more happy at this point to see Sprint get out of the grips of a Softbank majority.

4 hours ago, derrph said:

They’re probably going to deploy it in strategic areas where it can benefit both Sprint and T-Mobile customers 

9 minutes ago, IamMrFamous07 said:

They’re probably going to deploy it in strategic areas where it can benefit both Sprint and T-Mobile customers 

They added 3 more cities to the list of massive MIMO  cities yesterday and the only one we know for sure of those 3 is Kansas City.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

They added 3 more cities to the list of massive MIMO  cities yesterday and the only one we know for sure of those 3 is Kansas City.

Any guesses on the others?

I wouldn't expect Sprint to stop deploying, upgrading and possibly even expand still.  Maybe they might coordinate with TMobile just in case they do merge.  But it would be silly to stop or decrease from their current stated CAPEX.  They would lose an entire year of work.

My guess is Sprint will be focusing on colocated sites initially for massive MIMO and stick to expanding and densifying within their urban/suburban footprint instead of rural expansion.

1 hour ago, belusnecropolis said:

There's multiple VZW 5G CPEs and 1024T1024R 29 / 39 GHz Massive Mimo Radios  that have gone through the FCC. Neat stuff. I'm expecting to see it in my area in the coming months and maybe even at my parents residence.... :)

2 hours ago, lilotimz said:

There's multiple VZW 5G CPEs and 1024T1024R 29 / 39 GHz Massive Mimo Radios  that have gone through the FCC. Neat stuff. I'm expecting to see it in my area in the coming months and maybe even at my parents residence.... :)

Even with that amount of Massive MIMO, what would coverage look like on the lower end  of that spectrum? I can't imagine more than a city block outdoors. Indoor probably non-existent.

5 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

My guess is Sprint will be focusing on colocated sites initially for massive MIMO and stick to expanding and densifying within their urban/suburban footprint instead of rural expansion.

Colocated and the 10,000 of Sprint sites that T-Mobile will keep.

19 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Colocated and the 10,000 of Sprint sites that T-Mobile will keep.

All of our mapping - - gone forever! ???????

• Like 2