Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

12 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Interesting idea

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is a good start, but it has to go beyond customers. Sprint needs to place these devices in major national chain locations.

I know of several business locations that could use them here in DC: The CVS I go to; The Safeway I go to. Both locations have huge glass windows to the street which would support a Magic Box deployment.

I wish there was a way to officially submit Magic Box locations for Sprint to follow up on. I’ve submitted reports in My Sprint and put “This ‘business name’ location needs a Magic Box” in the Notes but I’m doubtful anything will happen. Hopefully Sprint sets up something more official.

• Like 2

This is a good start, but it has to go beyond customers. Sprint needs to place these devices in major national chain locations.

I know of several business locations that could use them here in DC: The CVS I go to; The Safeway I go to. Both locations have huge glass windows to the street which would support a Magic Box deployment.

I wish there was a way to officially submit Magic Box locations for Sprint to follow up on. I’ve submitted reports in My Sprint and put “This ‘business name’ location needs a Magic Box” in the Notes but I’m doubtful anything will happen. Hopefully Sprint sets up something more official.

Easy there tiger lol this is sprint we are talking about here lol.... I think it's a fluke that sprint has even considered doing this .. I would of been placed these with local venues movies, mall etc .. and local business again it's sprint we are talking about

14 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Easy there tiger lol this is sprint we are talking about here lol.... I think it's a fluke that sprint has even considered doing this .. I would of been placed these with local venues movies, mall etc .. and local business again it's sprint we are talking about

Places like malls do better with DAS systems than Magic Boxes since they get their own backhaul as opposed to relying on a donor site that can get overloaded by having too many people connected to it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Places like malls do better with DAS systems than Magic Boxes since they get their own backhaul as opposed to relying on a donor site that can get overloaded by having too many people connected to it.

True about Malls.

The Magic Box supports up to 64 simultaneous users. This is well below the “congested” threshold of the Magic Box which puts out a 20 MHz Channel of Band 41.

In the case of my local CVS, there are usually less than 64 people in the store at any one time. Split by four major carriers and factor in other prepaid, and there’s plenty of capacity for Sprint. Even if you account for the outdoor coverage of the Magic Box, not everyone is on Sprint.

It’s ridiculous to have a CVS Mobile App that you can’t actually use in the store due to poor coverage. This affects coupons, prescriptions, payment, etc.

• Like 4

Which again this is sprint we are talking .. the cost of a DAS antennas system can cost a lot of money inside of malls ..when I used sprint in San Diego I went to a mall that had a Sprint store inside it and I was connected to a magic box .. and it helped extend the band 41 signal further in the mall and speeds we're 25 Mbps down / 4 up .. not bad .. I'd take that magic box install over a lengthy das install process that could take a while if we ever see a healthier sprint

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Sprint used to have the Direct2You program which it ran through MasTec. (http://www.mastec.com/uploads/CorporatePresentation.pdf)

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-confirms-death-direct-2-you-phone-delivery-service

The numbers didn’t work I guess.

If this is a partial revival of the program for the purpose of placing Magic Boxes at business customers, that makes more sense.

However, Sprint needs to go beyond this trial and establish Magic Box partnerships with the leading national retail chains that its customers go to and where Coverage is an issue.

I’d like to be able to submit a list of locations for this to Sprint so they can follow up.

Edited by RedSpark
Added Link

6 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Which again this is sprint we are talking .. the cost of a DAS antennas system can cost a lot of money inside of malls ..when I used sprint in San Diego I went to a mall that had a Sprint store inside it and I was connected to a magic box .. and it helped extend the band 41 signal further in the mall and speeds we're 25 Mbps down / 4 up .. not bad .. I'd take that magic box install over a lengthy das install process that could take a while if we ever see a healthier sprint

That's a single MB in a single store however if multiple stores have a MB, while coverage would improve, speeds would tank for the entire area that is near the mall. The donor cell could easily become overloaded. The average mall has 50-100 shops in it. If even a fifth of the stores have magic boxes that is 640-1,280 users on a single sector. There are diminishing returns with overdeployment in a concentrated area. You're better off installing a DAS in the case of a mall.

• Like 2

Sprint used to have the Direct2You program which it ran through MasTec. The numbers didn’t work I guess.
If this is a partial revival of the program for the purpose of placing Magic Boxes at business customers, that makes more sense.
However, Sprint needs to go beyond this trial and establish Magic Box partnerships with the leading national retail chains that its customers go to and where Coverage is an issue.
I’d like to be able to submit a list of locations for this to Sprint so they can follow up.
I agree, but I wanna say first sprint wants to make sure more then 50% of their sites are upgraded to band 41.. and then get this going bit by bit

I guess you guys forgot about the link that I posted a couple of months ago about sprint sending magic boxes to companies instead of having a das setup in offices being more cost effective and not having to deal with landlords. The reason why magic  box is in such high demand. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, grapkoski said:

Sprint partnering with CVS would be amazing. Near me, the DC Costco could also use a couple of Magic Boxes. One can wish!

Agreed!

@nexgencpu @Terrell352: Since you already have Dr. Saw’s attention, could you Tweet this CVS Magic Box placement partnership idea at him? Perhaps they’ll also consider Safeway, Walgreens, Costco, Denny’s, IHOP, etc.

There’s also Jaime Jones, Mid-Atlantic President (https://twitter.com/jajones83) Anyone contact him before?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

I agree, but I wanna say first sprint wants to make sure more then 50% of their sites are upgraded to band 41.. and then get this going bit by bit

True. I hope they’re making progress on this as well. Magic Box can also run on Band 25. I assume that’s dedicated spectrum as well?

4 hours ago, grapkoski said:

Sprint partnering with CVS would be amazing. Near me, the DC Costco could also use a couple of Magic Boxes. One can wish!

Agreed in my neck of the DC market as well.  I spent a while waiting for a prescription at CVS today and wished for a Magic Box.  (The service worked, just not terribly well.)  And at Costco, right outside you can see the tower, but inside it's barely usable.

- Trip

• Like 1

Just now, Trip said:

Agreed in my neck of the DC market as well.  I spent a while waiting for a prescription at CVS today and wished for a Magic Box.  (The service worked, just not terribly well.)  And at Costco, right outside you can see the tower, but inside it's barely usable.

- Trip

How can we get Sprint to do this?

14 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

I've never had issues in a CVS, or any store for that matter but I guess different locations lol. Ok well no there is this one Walmart, in the sticks it's hit or miss with LTE, B26 and all don't know what the problem is.

It boggles the mind for me why major retail chains don’t ensure that they have good wireless coverage in their stores, especially if they invest in having a Mobile App which is a core feature of their business for coupons, payment, prescriptions etc.: CVS, Walgreens, Safeway, etc. Sprint’s Magic Box is a great tool that can be widely deployed to address this issue.

If it’s not already underway, Sprint needs to meet with the regional heads of these companies and work out a deal of some kind to place these boxes.

People have certain types of coverage issues: Home, Work, Errands/Travel. Any of these can cause someone to churn out, but I think Errands/Travel Coverage has the most impact on churn/satisfaction, especially since WiFi Calling is usually available at home (except for Nexus/Pixel people) and perhaps slightly less available at work.

This is aside from the fact that customers will spend more time (and more money) where they have good coverage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

It boggles the mind for me why major retail chains don’t ensure that they have good wireless coverage in their stores, especially if they invest in having a Mobile App which is a core feature of their business for coupons, payment, prescriptions etc.: CVS, Walgreens, Safeway, etc. Sprint’s Magic Box is a great tool that can be widely deployed to address this issue.

If it’s not already underway, Sprint needs to meet with the regional heads of these companies and work out a deal of some kind to place these boxes.

People have certain types of coverage issues: Home, Work, Errands/Travel. Any of these can cause someone to churn out, but I think Errands/Travel Coverage has the most impact on churn/satisfaction, especially since WiFi Calling is usually available at home (except for Nexus/Pixel people) and perhaps slightly less available at work.

This is aside from the fact that customers will spend more time (and more money) where they have good coverage.

Sprint needs to follow through with one of the 4 network plans it has come up with over the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Something to think about; I noticed that Walmart's wifi network throttles Amazon.com to a slow crawl. Makes sense if you think about it. It discourages customers from scanning a bar code and finding it cheaper from one of Amazon's many sellers. 

I definitely do not see Walmart as a a store that would be willing to host Magic Boxes based on that fact.

48 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Something to think about; I noticed that Walmart's wifi network throttles Amazon.com to a slow crawl. Makes sense if you think about it. It discourages customers from scanning a bar code and finding it cheaper from one of Amazon's many sellers. 

I definitely do not see Walmart as a a store that would be willing to host Magic Boxes based on that fact.

The solution here is to check prices at Amazon BEFORE you even think about going into Wal-Mart

Why would any store want to deal with that overhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

John Saw with a pretty thorough update on Sprint’s progress:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/putting-spectrum-to-work.htm

200,000 Magic Boxes in under a year. Average speeds of 42Mbps on Band 41. #1 for fastest average download speed in 100 cities including Austin, Denver, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City and Seattle as well as the market of Indianapolis. Also finally rolling out 4x4MIMO and 256QAM to provide gigabit LTE in over 100 of the largest markets in the country.

That's a lot of good news!

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

200,000 Magic Boxes in under a year. Average speeds of 42Mbps on Band 41. #1 for fastest average download speed in 100 cities including Austin, Denver, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City and Seattle as well as the market of Indianapolis. Also finally rolling out 4x4MIMO and 256QAM to provide gigabit LTE in over 100 of the largest markets in the country.

That's a lot of good news!

It’s great news! Also his mention about the thousands of strand mounts they’ve deployed as well. Good to know that 2CA or 3CA is on nearly every Band 41 Site. Hopefully they can accelerate the Band 41 Site upgrades.

This was a very detailed report!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, imex99 said:

Where are the strand mounts located at, haven't seen in the Colin's, OH market!

They are in Altice and Cox markets....

I’d love to see a deal made with RCN for the DC area, including areas of MD and VA.

https://www.rcn.com/hub/about-rcn/where-we-service/dc-metro-service-areas/

• Like 1