Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

On 6/6/2018 at 7:53 PM, RAvirani said:

In low traffic areas, I personally don't see much benefit in deploying 8T8Rs over mini macros, if there are no capacity issues.  8T8Rs do provide better coverage and propagation than mini macros, but I think the difference is small enough that it can be overlooked.  

Ultimately, to deploy NR (which will be the next major wave of upgrades we see), both mini macro and 8T8R antenna/RRU sets will need to be swapped out for massive MIMO antennas.  In the meantime, why waste money on 8T8Rs where they aren't needed?

What can also be asked is why waste money on 8T8R when a MM would do.  I have seen this a lot.  Low traffic tower that gets >20Mbps on B25 at any point in the day gets 8T8R gear. Tower in growing part of town that is always <5Mbps gets a MM.  

And all those 8T8R gear that has been deployed over the years in BFE instead of a more urban area.  While there are still a many towers in BFE that are 3G or GMO LTE w/ only B25.  

From an outsiders prospective, it can be hard to less the logic in their madness.  

57 minutes ago, derrph said:

The Kickstart page is live. Nice breakdown on what all you get compared to their UF plan. The only problem I have is the coverage map, It shows the "overall" coverage. I guess if the other carriers are doing it then why not. The map shows coverage everywhere but that might not be the case based on that map. 

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-kickstart.html

Has anyone noticed the change of text in the shareable data section regarding Mobile Hotspot, VPN, P2P? It's not shown on this comparison table, but on the regular page under Shop -> Plans -> Unlimited, the new text mentions an auto buy-up of 10GB of data once you reach the 10GB limit instead of a decrease to 2G speeds.

2 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Has anyone noticed the change of text in the shareable data section regarding Mobile Hotspot, VPN, P2P? It's not shown on this comparison table, but on the regular page under Shop -> Plans -> Unlimited, the new text mentions an auto buy-up of 10GB of data once you reach the 10GB limit instead of a decrease to 2G speeds.

They better come clean on all these limitations on the kickstart page.

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

What can also be asked is why waste money on 8T8R when a MM would do.  I have seen this a lot.  Low traffic tower that gets >20Mbps on B25 at any point in the day gets 8T8R gear. Tower in growing part of town that is always <5Mbps gets a MM.  

And all those 8T8R gear that has been deployed over the years in BFE instead of a more urban area.  While there are still a many towers in BFE that are 3G or GMO LTE w/ only B25.  

From an outsiders prospective, it can be hard to less the logic in their madness.  

BFE?

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

They better come clean on all these limitations on the kickstart page.

It's actually not a limitation on the kickstart unlimited plan, as they don't offer any shareable data such as mobile hotspot. This is a change to the Unlimited Freedom plan with differing texts from one page to another

I love the fact that Sprint is sticking to being BAU. I just passed a new Sprint Corp store being worked on for launch.  I turned back around and the inside has the same set with the all white, window panels and yellow lighting along the displays. This store will be extremely close to a T-Mobile 

I know it's nothing big, anything positive should be considered a small win.. according to this new speed testing firm .. Sprint has surpassed att in average download speeds.
https://speedsmart.net/wireless_index/may_2018/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You can definitely tell that Sprint is really injecting money into their network. Those results are showing that they are not too far behind in some aspects. The downloads are a mess though but at least they were all above 20mbps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

I know it's nothing big, anything positive should be considered a small win.. according to this new speed testing firm .. Sprint has surpassed att in average download speeds.

Just imagine when gigabit lte shows up! Granted Sprint announced plans to roll out gigabit lte back in March 2017 and its June 2018 yet they still have not delivered but this is great news especially since they still have so much in the arsenal.

• Like 4

No surprise here, but the Charlotte, NC results show that Sprint has a lot of catching up to around here.

30.63 / 8.05 - AT&T
25.32 / 7.74 - T-Mobile
7.28 / 2.12 - Sprint
30.95 / 6.46 - Verizon
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

These guys aren't very big. They don't have a big crowd to pull from.  The play store only shows that they have 10,000+ app downloads.  Those who regularly use it, I am sure isn't very big.  

But there data is showing that, imo, that this speed race is becoming more of a marketing thing than anything. You get to the point where the speeds are high enough, anything higher is just a marketing tool.  

PCMag's Fastest Mobile Networks 2018 is out now. Here are some quotes from it regarding Sprint.

AT&T and Sprint have focused on download speeds, so they are best for content consumption, video streaming, and web browsing.

Sprint got hit heavily in our ratings because of its very slow upload speeds, but the good news is that its download speeds have increased massively over the past few years. Sprint had the fastest downloads in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Houston, and Seattle. If we were only rating by downloads, like some other organizations do, we could hand out some shiny trophies to Sprint right now.

https://www.pcmag.com/Fastest-Mobile-Networks

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

PCMag's Fastest Mobile Networks 2018 is out now. Here are some quotes from it regarding Sprint.

Sprint really kept up with the other 3 and at times exceeded them in raw download. It's the upload that holds them back soo much.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Its pretty insane, thats without 4x4 MIMO or Massive MIMO live..

If they pair B25+B41 and CA uploads will not be an issue at all. Its just a matter of Sprint making that a priority. At this point, they are more focused on launching VoLTE and deploying B41 on all macro sites/small cells.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, derrph said:

Sprint really kept up with the other 3 and at times exceeded them in raw download. It's the upload that holds them back soo much.

I think that's one of the biggest takeaways from this. Sprint went from being the slowest carrier in the U.S. by a large margin to being up there with everyone else in what is basically a tradeoff. PCMag said it best that Sprint is good for content consumption, video streaming, and web browsing whereas T-Mobile is great for content creators and the social media crowd with it's super high upload speeds.

5 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I think that's one of the biggest takeaways from this. Sprint went from being the slowest carrier in the U.S. by a large margin to being up there with everyone else in what is basically a tradeoff. PCMag said it best that Sprint is good for content consumption, video streaming, and web browsing whereas T-Mobile is great for content creators and the social media crowd with it's super high upload speeds.

Doesn't matter now. At&t is allowed to get Time Warner with no conditions.  That Tmobile merger is basically guaranteed at this point.

• Like 2

AT&T and Time Warner got the green light. Let’s open the flood gates officially to buy up whoever. This ruling today gives and shows there little to no reason why Tmo and Sprint cannot marry. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, derrph said:

AT&T and Time Warner got the green light. Let’s open the flood gates officially to buy up whoever. This ruling today gives and shows there little to no reason why Tmo and Sprint cannot marry. 

https://imgur.com/a/B8sF89M

https://imgur.com/a/qHmO0Ud

my wifi speed :)

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3363488-jefferies-t-decision-make-sprint-t-mobile-road-easier

i agree to a small extent with this article....the justice department could decide to sue them to try to stop merger....also remember the beef the CEO of John ledger and Donald trump had for a short while? well that could have a effect to on the merger now that donald trump is in power.