Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I think it was the carrier update or something, then. I've had spotty at best coverage in very dense b41 areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you tell if you're able to connect to Clear B41 sites?

I've noticed several Clear B41 sites in LA that I'm no longer able to connect to with the new baseband update.  This same thing happened during the rollout of 24.1.   It was resolved about 2-3 weeks later with an update on the network side.

• Like 1

Great interview/article with Tarek Robbiati (Sprint CFO):

‘Profound transformation’ at Sprint will be ‘big challenge’ for company’s new CFO

Lots of stuff in there about his perspectives on Sprint's past mistakes and its upcoming network/business plans.

• Like 5

‘Profound transformation’ at Sprint will be ‘big challenge’ for company’s new CFO

Lots of stuff in there about his perspectives on Sprint's past mistakes and its upcoming network/business plans.

Man, you're a machine. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Robbiatti literally poured liquor out on CDMA. I am not surprised that he said that given his background at Telstra, but it is still noteable.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Robbiatti literally poured liquor out on CDMA. I am not surprised that he said that given his background at Telstra, but it is still noteable.

Tarek doesnt mince words. Good to see that level straight talk from Sprint execs.
  • Like 1

Man, you're a machine. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I just got around to reading this. I'm loving how straight forward he is about past mistakes that the company and as we all know hindsight is 20/20.

He seems to have a plan to get Sprint back on track and the beat part it seems is that it's clearly communicated throughout all levels of their business. No matter which one of the higher-ups you speak to they always know what they're talking about and they're not giving conflicting info. It's important that their "numbers guy" knows numbers and networks because it'll help with making the right choices in terms of deployment of new technologies in a cost-efficient fashion.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

He's the right guy to have around for the VoLTE stand up and eventual CDMA sunset.

Considering the fact that he was there when Telstra shutdown its CDMA network 10 years ago, seeing Sprint on CDMA must be a bit of a time warp for him. However, doesn't CDMA have certain advantages over GSM?

This will be moot with a move to VoLTE right?

Over GSM, yes. But not over UMTS. UMTS uses WCDMA, so

Didn't they squash the idea of WCDMA before son came around?

I really wish sprint would kill off 3G with today's phones it's useless, that said I did Dl in the outskirts of Boston at 1.5 still haven't seen that again to this day.

Maybe that's sprints problem as well, 3G was never really fast compared to vzw

Whenever people see 3G it just brings back a crawling network??

When I see it I cringe get airplane mode going fast as I can!

Ok people, your phone calls are made across the CDMA system, don't be so in a rush to kill it off. It is more reliable then VoLTE right now, for which some in the Orlando area couldn't make calls last week with Verizon's outage. Only if they switched over to CDMA only could they.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Didn't they squash the idea of WCDMA before son came around?

I really wish sprint would kill off 3G with today's phones it's useless, that said I did Dl in the outskirts of Boston at 1.5 still haven't seen that again to this day.

Maybe that's sprints problem as well, 3G was never really fast compared to vzw

Whenever people see 3G it just brings back a crawling network??

When I see it I cringe get airplane mode going fast as I can!

CDMA in NYC is great, not that I see it much. This is a speed test from inside my home. I forced my phone into EVDO only mode to get this.

885b6335639f45f8fb038f24055d2674.jpg

CDMA in NYC is great, not that I see it much. This is a speed test from inside my home. I forced my phone into EVDO only mode to get this. 885b6335639f45f8fb038f24055d2674.jpg

Not too many people are on cdma in NYC. At least I would hope not. In the phoenix area getting shunted to cdma is a data death sentence.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not too many people are on cdma in NYC. At least I would hope not. In the phoenix area getting shunted to cdma is a data death sentence.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

It's a death sentence pretty much anywhere without B26.

• Like 2

Ok people, your phone calls are made across the CDMA system, don't be so in a rush to kill it off. It is more reliable then VoLTE right now, for which some in the Orlando area couldn't make calls last week with Verizon's outage. Only if they switched over to CDMA only could they.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

CDMA can have voice outages too. That's not limited to VoLTE. VoLTE only has reliability issues due to the breadth of coverage. VoLTE is far superior in every aspect and Sprint should be pushing densification to make it happen next year.
  • Like 5

CDMA can have voice outages too. That's not limited to VoLTE. VoLTE only has reliability issues due to the breadth of coverage. VoLTE is far superior in every aspect and Sprint should be pushing densification to make it happen next year.

Yes it can have outages as well. That outage was something that could have happened to any network (edge, 1x, wcdma, etc.)

But while VoLTE may be superior in so many ways to CDMA, it does take a hit in reliability as LTE is a more fragile airlink than CDMA. LTE is still some years away from reaching the same type of reliability that 1xRTT has achieved. Some of the concerns by people about VoLTE moving a bit too fast are warranted, even for a network like Verizon.

• Like 4

It's not like B26 is much faster in places where the network is not properly optimized.

Optimization is key for B26

I'm still waiting for the day that B26 is optimized, still just as strong as B25/B41 around here.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It's not like B26 is much faster in places where the network is not properly optimized.

Optimization is key for B26

Still a hell of a lot faster than edge of cell 3G in Seattle. That speed is fine for web browsing and the ping is great. At -100 3G in Seattle, pings generally exceed a second or two and speeds struggle to exceed 10kbps.

Over GSM, yes. But not over UMTS. UMTS uses WCDMA, so

Sure, it does.  W-CDMA uses 3-4 times the spectrum bandwidth that CDMA2000 does.  That basically means that each W-CDMA carrier requires its own 5 MHz FDD block, much like LTE in a 5 MHz FDD carrier configuration.  Thus, W-CDMA can be difficult to deploy -- absent existing massive spectrum resources or new "greenfield" spectrum.  Note how T-Mobile was 3-4 years late to the 3G party precisely because of that disadvantage.  T-Mobile had to wait on AWS-1 in order to deploy W-CDMA.  On the other hand, CDMA2000, at 1.25 MHz FDD, is less difficult to deploy in existing spectrum.

AJ

• Like 4

CDMA in NYC is great, not that I see it much. This is a speed test from inside my home. I forced my phone into EVDO only mode to get this.

885b6335639f45f8fb038f24055d2674.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/quo

Holy s&&it! I NEVER see 3 g speeds like that when I am in my home area those speeds would do 80% of what most people do

Still a hell of a lot faster than edge of cell 3G in Seattle. That speed is fine for web browsing and the ping is great. At -100 3G in Seattle, pings generally exceed a second or two and speeds struggle to exceed 10kbps.

Look at the RSRP. Can't get any better than that. Imagine how bad it gets at the edge of cell. In some areas, B26 can't even successfully attempt a speed test. 3G on the other hand gets me 2 Mbps of DL on the same spot and at least 400-500 kbps on edge of cell.

Seattle's problem is the lack of LTE 800, but it won't make a difference if the network is not optimized to shuffle you into the correct band.

Look at the RSRP. Can't get any better than that. Imagine how bad it gets at the edge of cell. In some areas, B26 can't even successfully attempt a speed test. 3G on the other hand gets me 2 Mbps of DL on the same spot and at least 400-500 kbps on edge of cell.

Seattle's problem is the lack of LTE 800, but it won't make a difference if the network is not optimized to shuffle you into the correct band.

From what I've read, all of the cities I have travelled to are ones where LTE 800 has been optimized which may explain my ignorance regarding the issue. I hope they get it right when they turn B26 on in Seattle! Right now devices are spread across B25 and B41 seamlessly and efficiently in Seattle. I hope when Sprint rolls out B26, band selection will proceed to stay smooth and seamless as it is now.