Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

IIRC I think Sprint is/was also wanting to make B41 dl/up ratio dynamically change based on load. So if more upload was needed, it could change the dl/ul ratio on the fly to help improve experience.

Time ratio cannot be change dynamically. It must be uniform network wide otherwise the network breaks down. That's just the nature of TDD.

I don't understand why sprint is even changing the ratio. Why not max out b41 on both up and down? We don't need 9/200 what's wrong with using the other option of a higher upload and slower Dl?

3xca is still gonna fly isn't it?

I don't understand why sprint is even changing the ratio. Why not max out b41 on both up and down? We don't need 9/200 what's wrong with using the other option of a higher upload and slower Dl?

3xca is still gonna fly isn't it?

The network engineers are smart people. They are looking at data usage patterns, the goals of the company, the resources available and deciding what is the best use of the spectrum for their ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's important to remember that the ratio isn't fixed and (AFAIK) can be changed more or less on a whim by the network team once they've tested all configurations. This flexibility gives Sprint a huge advantage. If for whatever reason a switch to config 2 looks like it's going downhill fast they can presumably switch back to config 1 in a matter of hours. Nobody else has that kind of flexibility and thus futureproofness.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the timeframe, but even if it's a few days my point still stands.

Is there any white papers showing how fast TDD configurations can be in 4x4 MIMO setup?  Well of course when devices are available in the coming years.

Is there any white papers showing how fast TDD configurations can be in 4x4 MIMO setup?  Well of course when devices are available in the coming years.

Double existing speeds.

That's jumping to 4 Tx from the UE from the current 2 Tx since 4 Tx from the eNB currently exists. 

This doubling applies for both TDD LTE and FDD LTE. 4x4 UEs are expected on Sprint around 2H 2016. 

• Like 3

Double existing speeds.

That's jumping to 4 Tx from the UE from the current 2 Tx since 4 Tx from the eNB currently exists. 

This doubling applies for both TDD LTE and FDD LTE. 4x4 UEs are expected on Sprint around 2H 2016. 

With configuration 2 TDD 20+20+20, are we talking peak speeds of 600 Mbps on 4x4 MIMO?

The way I see it Sprint has 5 options.

1. Find a way to do band 25 uplink CA

2. 4x4 MIMO

3. NGN is done so well that the problem never gets out of control.

4. Sprint configures the network to sense a overloaded uplink and switches you to a band with the best uplink.

5. Sprint fails and upload speeds becomes unusable on band 41

Either way there is no easy way out of this but option 4 to me seems to be the best course for the immediate future.

I must have missed something. Why the big concern over increasing the T&D ratio when you get speeds over 200 and then discuss the ways to increase upload. Any download and upload over 10 and I am a happy clam. Heck, my home Internet is 3 and I game on Xbox and stream Netflix with ease on my 55 inch.
  • Like 1

I must have missed something. Why the big concern over increasing the T&D ratio when you get speeds over 200 and then discuss the ways to increase upload. Any download and upload over 10 and I am a happy clam. Heck, my home Internet is 3 and I game on Xbox and stream Netflix with ease on my 55 inch.

I really don't understand the need to race for such massive speeds. The important thing I think, is density and capacity so that speeds will rarely ever get below 3mbps. That speed is what I consider as the minimum tolerable limit based on what sensibly ought to be expected with current technology. This is why I so greatly dislike 5x5 spectrum, as it seems to increase the chance of getting below 3mbps with traffic. 10x10 is an improvement, but I'd really like to see a minimum of 15x15 in mid to major markets. 10x10 is fine for rural areas.

I also think the management of spectrum by the FCC really needs to be overhauled. Yes, I'll concede in regards to my view regarding carriers such as T-Mobile needing to be more fair in their timelines working with broadcasters on spectrum transitions, etc. However, my view has not changed a bit regarding the importance of wireless providers over those of old fashioned broadcasting using the airwaves. I want to see as much of broadcasts be carried over the internet, which the added video content streams using wireless carriers networks means carriers are going to need more spectrum, which the FCC should overview and change how the spectrum is allocated, to make more room for wireless providers.

That is what I believe carriers should be more focused on, rather than peak speeds.

• Like 1

Remember that those speeds have to be shared, so average speeds will be lower unless of course it is combined with Artemis Networks gear :). And I would rather they spend money on both densification and coverage expansion!

• Like 4

Or unusable in general. I have seen this happen at the edge of band 41 indoors. Download will still be in the 20's but upload will either timeout or only be around 1mbps.

If good downlink speeds but poor uplink speeds on band 41, that is not a network problem.  The fault almost certainly lies with the device.  It is power limited.

So, maybe that Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is not such a great RF performer like you have been claiming.  Maybe it is weak on band 41 like we have been saying for months.  The tested figures do not lie.  But you just do not want to listen or believe them.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-393-even-more-guardians-of-the-samsung-galaxy/

AJ

• Like 1

If good downlink speeds but poor uplink speeds on band 41, that is not a network problem. The fault almost certainly lies with the device. It is power limited.

So, maybe that Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is not such a great RF performer like you have been claiming. Maybe it is weak on band 41 like we have been saying for months. The tested figures do not lie. But you just do not want to listen or believe them.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-393-even-more-guardians-of-the-samsung-galaxy/

AJ

That would be a fair judgement if my nexus 6 didn't do the same thing. Now what could be the problem because we all know it was a rf monster.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Would like to point out that my Nexus 6p has never failed on the upload, sometimes slow but not failed. Another thing I notice is that even though it reports slow upload on speedtest things that require duplex data like voice and video chat perform well, so there's that.

Can't only just rely on speed test to judge performance.

• Like 1

Would like to point out that my Nexus 6p has never failed on the upload, sometimes slow but not failed. Another thing I notice is that even though it reports slow upload on speedtest things that require duplex data like voice and video chat perform well, so there's that.

Can't only just rely on speed test to judge performance.

I've had the upload issue on B41 with my 6P. Signal of around -110. It's not just a speed test issue because text messages actually fail to send until it hands off to B25/26. I'll have to walk away from a window to force the handoff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I've had the upload issue on B41 with my 6P. Signal of around -110. It's not just a speed test issue because text messages actually fail to send until it hands off to B25/26. I'll have to walk away from a window to force the handoff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I think it's more of a congestion issue.

If good downlink speeds but poor uplink speeds on band 41, that is not a network problem.  The fault almost certainly lies with the device.  It is power limited.

So, maybe that Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is not such a great RF performer like you have been claiming.  Maybe it is weak on band 41 like we have been saying for months.  The tested figures do not lie.  But you just do not want to listen or believe them.

AJ

Doesn't Carrier Aggregation + Advanced Beamforming improve performance at the cell edge to some degree?

I assume the effects apply to both download and upload performance?

Would 3xCA result in greater performance at the cell edge over 2xCA?

Doesn't Carrier Aggregation + Advanced Beamforming improve performance at the cell edge to some degree?

Would 3xCA result in greater performance at the cell edge over 2xCA?

Again. You're talking about eNB side technological improvements which is fine and dandy for the UE's receiving a signal. 

I must repeat that the limitation has been and will always be the transmit power of the UE. 

It doesn't matter if you get an amazing signal from the tower if your device cannot talk back to the tower and devices are extremely limited in power output compared to panel or omni antennas. Thus the uplink will always always fail before the downlink. 

• Like 5

The iPhone 6s is supposed to be a beast rf performer however my note 5 seems to always perform better.

That said can't wait until this 4x4 get rolled out with 3xca.

I am sure we won't really feel the power until the densification is done

No.  This is not that hard to conceptualize.  A beamforming base station antenna transmits like a spotlight.  A handset antenna transmits like a lightbulb.  The spotlight can shine specifically on the handset antenna.  But the lightbulb cannot shine specifically on the base station antenna.

AJ

• Like 3

Basically what AJ trying to tell you is there is a big difference between the base station throwing out 50 watts and you receiving it and your phone maybe throwing out 50 milliwatts and the base station receiving you.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2