Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I wouldn't mind if overages were kept if I could have the option to data shut off when I exceed my limit. To use the credit card example, if I try to spend above my limit my card gets declined. They don't just let me keep racking up more and more charges/fees.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind if overages were kept if I could have the option to data shut off when I exceed my limit. To use the credit card example, if I try to spend above my limit my card gets declined. They don't just let me keep racking up more and more charges/fees.

I could see that being a good option for some people actually. Have a plan or option that if you use your data allotment, your data will get shut off.

That is a post paid account, no?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

What would be the impact of being found to have acted inbad faith?

In the first link, it basically states that since APS didn't act in good faith they will be responsible for the costs to move. Prior Sprint was paying for the retune/equipment.

And they can have their license commuted to secondary class. Which means Sprint would be primary and could start using their spectrum. APC could still use their spectrum. But any place where APC interferes with Sprint within those license boundaries, they would have to shut down to defer to the primary.

It would allow APC to keep broadcasting about 50 miles outside Sprint coverage. So not all hope would be lost. But it would shut them down anywhere close to the cities and interstates. It sure would drive APC to move to their new channel assignments in record time.

APC hasn't acted in Good Faith, IMHO. And it's time for the FCC to make them pay and transfer their license to Secondary.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 9

Leasing in general just looks like a bad deal to me, regardless of who's offering it or who happens to be cheaper. The math on the plans doesn't seem very good, especially if there's any chance a person will damage their phone.

Other people seem to like it, and that's great for them. I don't see much harm in offering it. But I don't think I'd ever recommend leasing to someone -- it looks like you need a very specific use case to get a good deal out of it.

I'm leasing my M9...$20/month lease with a $19 loyalty credit means it's $1/month. HTC gives you "Uh-Oh" protection for a year. I have a case and putting a glass screen protector on it to prevent major issues. My M7 was the first phone I've broken and that's mostly because I kept it nekkid.

In two years I'll have paid $24 for the phone and then I'll look at something new.

I'm also seriously considering taking the last 2 GS3's on my account and leasing GS5s for free with loyalty credits. That'd put me close to having all 4 devices within a few months of each other.

• Like 1

That is a post paid account, no?

My account is post paid. Sprint has no way to disable data automatically when I reach my limit though, just start tacking on overages. It shouldn't be any different than with banking. I can opt in to overdraft protection for an additional fee per occurrence but otherwise my purchases are declined if I over spend. Likewise, if I use up my data early I should have the same options.

APC has acted in Good Faith, IMHO. And it's time for the FCC to make them pay and transfer their license to Secondary.

Are you missing a "not"?  Do you mean that APSC has not acted in good faith?  Or that Sprint has acted in good faith?

AJ

• Like 1

Are you missing a "not"? Do you mean that APSC has not acted in good faith? Or that Sprint has acted in good faith?

AJ

I fixed it as you were typing this out. Oops.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 1

My account is post paid. Sprint has no way to disable data automatically when I reach my limit though, just start tacking on overages. It shouldn't be any different than with banking. I can opt in to overdraft protection for an additional fee per occurrence but otherwise my purchases are declined if I over spend. Likewise, if I use up my data early I should have the same options.

I meant pre paid. [emoji30]

Er, would you rather have slow speeds, or overage charges on your shared data? Any type of shared data plan is subject to one (or more) persons screwing the others and using up all the allotment.

Honestly, I'd rather get the overage than get throttled. I'm not against throttling as a whole, but in this case I don't think throttling is a good practice for shared data plans.

• Like 1

We'll see if Music Freedom survives the glaring heat or Title II. It is something the Commission should take time to examine. If Verizon enacted the same policy on the Open Access waves they own, I would anticipate FCC action toward them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of us have been discussing this in the Unlimited Family Plan thread, but I'll make a quick mention of my opinion to it here too.

I don't believe favoring music, or any particular form of data is fair for carriers to do. I look at the issue though strictly as it is the carriers responsibility to change their unfair actions, along with the FCC's duty to enforce their policies.

With that said, all of the dos as donts should be laid out clearly to all customers, and as long as customers abide by those, then any problems resulting are the responsibility of the carriers to resolve. This is why I'm for Sprint and other carriers using responsible network management tools, as long as they treat data and customers fairly.

• Like 1

Is giving one type of data a free pass -- while holding other types of data to a different standard -- not playing favorites?  That is practically the definition of playing favorites.

Net Neutrality should take into account both positive and negative anti neutral actions.

AJ

Should VoLTE also count against your data usage? I guess it's only a matter of time before we have data only plans, we're practically already there with everyone giving out unlimited talk/text.

• Like 1

Should VoLTE also count against your data usage? I guess it's only a matter of time before we have data only plans, we're practically already there with everyone giving out unlimited talk/text.

VoIP will count against data usage.  VoLTE will not.

I cannot recall off the top of my head the specific classification, but the FCC considers VoLTE to be a voice service -- no different from AMPS, GSM, CDMA1X, etc.  Some of that is due to hearing aid and T-coil compatibility, which probably are required for ADA compliance.  And this is why VoLTE handsets need to have lab tests in their FCC OET authorization filings or Class II Permissive Change filings.

AJ

• Like 5

Some of us have been discussing this in the Unlimited Family Plan thread, but I'll make a quick mention of my opinion to it here too.

I don't believe favoring music, or any particular form of data is fair for carriers to do. I look at the issue though strictly as it is the carriers responsibility to change their unfair actions, along with the FCC's duty to enforce their policies.

With that said, all of the dos as donts should be laid out clearly to all customers, and as long as customers abide by those, then any problems resulting are the responsibility of the carriers to resolve. This is why I'm for Sprint and other carriers using responsible network management tools, as long as they treat data and customers fairly.

I'm too lazy to go and look up the latest FCC Net Neutrality ruling, but from what I remember, it had to do more with throttling or giving a specific service better bandwidth over another. T-Mobile is not doing any of that. They're just simply choosing to not charge data usage from certain sites. Apple Music is treated no differently than Spotify on their network and Spotify is not paying extra for the benefit of not being charged into consumers' data allowance.

So it seems to be compliant to the net neutrality laws...or am I missing something?

• Like 1

VoIP will count against data usage.  VoLTE will not.

I cannot recall off the top of my head the specific classification, but the FCC considers VoLTE to be a voice service -- no different from AMPS, GSM, CDMA1X, etc.  Some of that is due to hearing aid and T-coil compatibility, which probably are required for ADA compliance.  And this is why VoLTE handsets need to have lab tests in their FCC OET authorization filings or Class II Permissive Change filings.

AJ

This will have to change at some point, as VOIP vs VOLTE will be indistinguishable and any technical differences will be irrelevant.

Either VOIP will have to be brought under the same rules as VOLTE, or VOLTE rules will be relaxed.

Like they say, packets is packets. Content is irrelevant (or should be to anyone other than sender and receiver).

I'm too lazy to go and look up the latest FCC Net Neutrality ruling, but from what I remember, it had to do more with throttling or giving a specific service better bandwidth over another. T-Mobile is not doing any of that. They're just simply choosing to not charge data usage from certain sites. Apple Music is treated no differently than Spotify on their network and Spotify is not paying extra for the benefit of not being charged into consumers' data allowance.

So it seems to be compliant to the net neutrality laws...or am I missing something?

You could be right, but for now, I'm going by what I'm reading here and on some of the other sites. I'll try to read the FCC site soon and see what I can interpret from there.

I'm so glad that someone is finally calling out T-Mobile on their bs. Hopefully there's a ripple effect and more people realize this soon. I'm tired of seeing the T-Mobile apologists say "but Sprint is leasing devices too". My response is usually something like "where have you been the past 6 months?".

• Like 3

I'm so glad that someone is finally calling out T-Mobile on their bs. Hopefully there's a ripple effect and more people realize this soon. I'm tired of seeing the T-Mobile apologists say "but Sprint is leasing devices too". My response is usually something like "where have you been the past 6 months?".

It's literally all the same crap from everyone, the difference is that T-Mobile fans have thought theirs is different and more exalted lately. In the end, it isn't. 

• Like 2

Just watched johns periscope (couldn't catch it live, but recorded was fine)

I enjoyed it and some nice beach scenes.

What did he talk about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk