Softbank news: The Sharp Aquos Crystal is stunning and U.S. bound

jonathanm1978

I wouldn't mind a Sony device coming to Sprint.  The Z2 impressed me.  The Z3 on Sprint would be amazing.

EDIT: This Sharp phone sounds interesting.  I wonder how much different it'll be than it's Japanese counterpart.

• Like 1

Oops! Sprint released the Fact sheet for the Sharp Aquos Crystal early as well as the App Pass.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sharp-aquos-crystal.htm

Same Specs as the SoftBank version.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/app-pass-face-sheet.htm

Edit: This is my 9300th post on this site.

• Like 3

Oops! Sprint released the Fact sheet for the Sharp Aquos Crystal early as well as the App Pass.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sharp-aquos-crystal.htm

Same Specs as the SoftBank version.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/app-pass-face-sheet.htm

Edit: This is my 9300th post on this site.

They took it down already...lol.

I think I remember reading that this Sharp phone is a low tier phone (low end processor at least)...is that still correct?

They took it down already...lol.

I think I remember reading that this Sharp phone is a low tier phone (low end processor at least)...is that still correct?

Mid level. It is a Snapdragon 400 quad core. It should be perfectly fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mid level. It is a Snapdragon 400 quad core. It should be perfectly fine.

Snapdragon 400 is dual core...definitely no better than "mid level" for mid-2014. Should be cheaper though, which is what the target for this should be. Cheaper (decent) phone with the new $100 plan might win some folks over.

Snapdragon 400 is dual core...definitely no better than "mid level" for mid-2014. Should be cheaper though, which is what the target for this should be. Cheaper (decent) phone with the new $100 plan might win some folks over.

The 400 comes in both dual core and quad core. I believe this is is the quad core.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/400

And we have our official announcement.  Press release below.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sharp-first-aquos-smartphone-comes-130000254.html

Highlights:

• Harman’s LiveStage™ provides a more lifelike headphone listening experience by adding dimension to the sound
  • Clari-Fi™ technology improves digital sound quality by restoring all types of compressed digital music
  • Clip Now, which takes screenshots with one swipe and saves them with an embedded URL for easy sharing
  • 8MP rear-facing and 1.2MP front-facing cameras
  • Crystal clear HD Voice
  • Embedded 2,040mAh battery
  • 1.2GHz quad-core processor, 1.5GB (RAM) and 8GB (ROM)

Also, brings that App Pass that was in WSJ story.  $4.99 per month. Give you access to "hundreds" of curated apps. Plus a $5 month credit for in-app purchases.

And the price is not too bad.  $0 down and 24 payments of $10 on Sprint.  If Virgin Mobile or Boost is your flavor it will $149 on either one.  No availability date announced for Virgin or Boost yet.

• Like 3

Wonder how the reception is...

If ERP is an indicator, it should be pretty good, especially on B25/41.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

MSRP of $240? That's actually an awesome deal if you think about it. Great mid-tier phone with unique styling.

It is.  I hope this is a sign of the future that Softbank is bringing.  Would love to see a slew of high/mid tier sub $400/$300 devices brought over from Asia.  Maybe we'll see stuff from Sony and Lenovo and others eventually too. 

• Like 5

It is.  I hope this is a sign of the future that Softbank is bringing.  Would love to see a slew of high/mid tier sub $400/$300 devices brought over from Asia.  Maybe we'll see stuff from Sony and Lenovo and others eventually too. 

Proves a point that you can have a cool phone without charging people a million dollars.

• Like 6

I guess a $239.00 msrp for a phone with a midrange quad core and a 5 inch display shouldn't break the bank for anyone.

I was expecting the phone to be $100 more. Great pricing.

• Like 2

Is that contract or out right price?

Cold, hard, cash price.

• Like 3

If it's really only $240, I'll consider buying one for no reason prior to the iPhone 6 coming out. This Sharp really wouldn't be much of a downgrade from a Nexus 5 from a stats perspective, right? (I don't game, just heavy e-mail for work and SMS)