Band Priority Dilemma

dnwk

Is there a technical limit of going 3G to LTE that isn't there LTE to 3G? Or it is simply good network management or even device limitation? Hopefully once Sprint finishes up a couple more towers on I-95 through Baltimore, it won't matter anymore :-)

Think of it like this.  LTE knows about W-CDMA and EV-DO -- because LTE was developed later.  W-CDMA and EV-DO do not know about LTE -- because they could not predict the future.

AJ

• Like 5

If SVLTE is there, will it help? Since they can stay on EVDO while scanning for LTE

I don't think you fully understand how SvLTE works...

Additionally, it doesn't really matter since all devices since November, and any new devices (heck even refreshed GS3s and GS4s) will not have SvLTE.

If at my condo B25 drops in and out, will the network keep me on B26 or switch back and forth when I get a tri band device?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We  can't answer that question with any certainty. Every situation is different. You'll probably see some of both.

Think of it like this.  LTE knows about W-CDMA and EV-DO -- because LTE was developed later.  W-CDMA and EV-DO do not know about LTE -- because they could not predict the future.

AJ

But wasn't that eHRDP for? So they can have smooth transition between LTE and EVDO?

But wasn't that eHRDP for? So they can have smooth transition between LTE and EVDO?

eHRPD can handle the IP address transfer. However, DEVICES won't scan other technologies to hand up during an active data transfer. It doesn't matter what technology...EVDO, eHRPD, 1xRTT, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, WCDMA (HSPA/HSPA+), it's not going to hand off to LTE during active data sessions. Especially an active stream. It's going to maintain its existing connection. It's just the way it is.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

If Sprint just have little bit more SMR, they can squeeze in a EVDO carrier there.

So, LTE is faster than EVDO was more attribute to 5 X 5  rather than 1.25 X 1.25  ?

If Sprint just have little bit more SMR, they can squeeze in a EVDO carrier there.

So, LTE is faster than EVDO was more attribute to 5 X 5  rather than 1.25 X 1.25  ?

An EVDO carrier is pointless in SMR.  The cells would be so large that it could not provide meaningful data experience with just one carrier.  You would need a minimum of two EVDO carriers to provide enough capacity to at least keep 700kbps+.  Sprint wants to get away from any capex for slow data liek EVDO.  They need to focus their capex on LTE.  Deployment of wider channels, carrier aggregation, and possibly VoLTE.

Robert

EVDO rev. A has a maximum down of 3.1 mbps. It is the limit to the technology. LTE is limited in speed to the amount of spectrum allocated to it. The 5x5 setup is what is limiting it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk 4

so when phones stay on LTE without having to drop down to EVDO? 

Alos i'm glad this thread was created because i have the  same issues.  Also is there a way to force  your phone to use  only LTE?