Sprint to expand to Montana using shut down CellularOne sites

I'm surprised there hasn't been an offer for us cellular. To me that shows the Carlson family is adamant about not selling the company.

Uscc would be a great for Sprint. It would be a great investment and will expand coverage in areas that Sprint needs it.

Also if they can partner with Dish that would be a huge win

• Like 1

There are rumors that other EU carriers are interested in making a play with T-Mobile (not just IIliad). I have heard Vodafone specifically is interested and apparently their CEO has said in the past they would love to buy out DT's stake if they ever decide to leave the US market. Vodafone certainly has the $ to make things happen. I really hope that Sprint & T-Mobile don't spend all their time beating each other up and each respectively pick one of the big two to beat up on, $T and $VZW are the ones we need to bring back down to size. 

Vodafone buying T-Mo would be significant especially considering the amount of money Big Red just paid them to exit their partnership.

Neither the Democrats nor the Republicans will nationalize the wireless infrastructure; the only times the feds have stepped in to nationalize an industry in American history was when the industry was failing and the industry's leaders were begging for a bailout (see Amtrak, which bailed out the railroads' money-losing passenger operations, or the GM and Chrysler bailout). Even if the market gets down to 3-4 national players and few others, nationalization just isn't going to happen.

Thats not exactly true. Outside of wartime there was one industry that had a national monopoly, telephone service. To me that was a defacto nationalized service as public funds were used with federally mandated service requirements. 

Vodafone buying T-Mo would be significant especially considering the amount of money Big Red just paid them to exit their partnership.

I would think that buyout probably has a noncompete clause for so many years, if not permanent, so Vodafone can't just take all that cash and plow it into a competitor. That would rule out Vodafone coming back into the us market.
  • Like 1

I didn't think they'd move on MetroPCS, either. I was expecting it to be the duopoly. Although, USCC is not as good of a fit for Tmo. But I wouldn't completely rule it out. Especially if it can help Tmo be more palatable for sale. USCC is probably not going to be an expensive acquisition. I'm thinking $5 Billion. Give or take a few billion.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm sure Dan Hesse knew what T-Mobile would do if they were allowed to get MetroPCS, lets not forget Mr Legere worked under Mr Hesse, when he was in charge over at AT&T back in the day.

I do not like the direction this industry is headed. If oligopoly is the inevitable end result, there is less and less reason not to nationalize the entire infrastructure, then let providers sell service over the top.

AJ

My main problem with that is the fact our government is inept at running most of the government. I would much rather (and would be much cheaper) to beef up regulations when they step out of line (i.e. charging fees for unlimited access to certain apps) and lower the bar of entry to allow new competitors.

• Like 1

Thats not exactly true. Outside of wartime there was one industry that had a national monopoly, telephone service. To me that was a defacto nationalized service as public funds were used with federally mandated service requirements. 

You are over simplifying that private and government cooperation. AT&T in the beginning agreed to things like universal service and made sure rates were set to be fair for rural customers. Then the government changed the game and allowed new entrants that disrupted how AT&T made its money. Considering how much AT&T was a major R&D house for the US as well as how many technologies it essentially gave away, it is interesting how quickly the very same government that once benefited from them turned on them first disrupting their model and then breaking up their business, and hamstring the parts that were left. This is why I prefer less meddling than not. No doubt the mess the current AT&T wireless is in is partly the fault of the government. It would seem the best run parts of the Bell System ended up in Verizon's hands.

I would think that buyout probably has a noncompete clause for so many years, if not permanent, so Vodafone can't just take all that cash and plow it into a competitor. That would rule out Vodafone coming back into the us market.

I doubt very much that Vodafone would have agreed to a permanent ban/multi year ban from the US market. Besides could they not have a subsidiary buy it and run it independently if such a agreement was reached. Hell they could even hold non-voting stock. 

Besides that point, I think it would be a interesting investment as they would have similar technology paths, something the Verizon deal didn't have, as well as the fact that returns on profit are better in our market than most markets around the world. Not to mention it didn't see Vodafone and Verizon were all that happy with each other. Didn't Vodafone make a play for AT&T in 2004 with Verizon's blessing? As well as the fact isn't T-Mobile's last CEO at Vodafone now?

You are over simplifying that private and government cooperation. AT&T in the beginning agreed to things like universal service and made sure rates were set to be fair for rural customers. Then the government changed the game and allowed new entrants that disrupted how AT&T made its money. Considering how much AT&T was a major R&D house for the US as well as how many technologies it essentially gave away, it is interesting how quickly the very same government that once benefited from them turned on them first disrupting their model and then breaking up their business, and hamstring the parts that were left. This is why I prefer less meddling than not. No doubt the mess the current AT&T wireless is in is partly the fault of the government. It would seem the best run parts of the Bell System ended up in Verizon's hands.

I disagree. It was mutually beneficial for one company to manage the nationwide bailout. ATT extended that monopoly to telephone equipment(western electric). As a result the government filed an anti trust suit because AT&T had total control over telecommunications. The actual breakup was proposed by AT&T. In any case my original point stands that when we talk about nationalized companies the original AT&T should be included in that discussion.

I disagree. It was mutually beneficial for one company to manage the nationwide bailout. ATT extended that monopoly to telephone equipment(western electric). As a result the government filed an anti trust suit because AT&T had total control over telecommunications. The actual breakup was proposed by AT&T. In any case my original point stands that when we talk about nationalized companies the original AT&T should be included in that discussion.

It was mutually beneficial until the government changed the rules an hamstrung AT&T with the old rules and allowed new players a easier set of rules. Because of the "promises" made by AT&T when it hooked up the US with phone, the government held them to it while also allowing MCI to use its Microwave tech which was substantially cheaper. Being the juggernaut that it was AT&T could absorb the impact initially (not really much different from Detroit getting caught flat footed with Japanese imports), lets not forget when AT&T got split up it was a feeding frenzy over the parts, hell I remember when there wasn't even a AT&T wireless on the market before SBC bought up Cingular and BellSouth and then renamed itself AT&T.

How would you make the case for nationalization when we have 4 national plays. In the old days their was just AT&T, and Sprint apparently since they were founded in the late 1800s in some form or another.

It was mutually beneficial until the government changed the rules an hamstrung AT&T with the old rules and allowed new players a easier set of rules. Because of the "promises" made by AT&T when it hooked up the US with phone, the government held them to it while also allowing MCI to use its Microwave tech which was substantially cheaper. Being the juggernaut that it was AT&T could absorb the impact initially (not really much different from Detroit getting caught flat footed with Japanese imports), lets not forget when AT&T got split up it was a feeding frenzy over the parts, hell I remember when there wasn't even a AT&T wireless on the market before SBC bought up Cingular and BellSouth and then renamed itself AT&T.

How would you make the case for nationalization when we have 4 national plays. In the old days their was just AT&T, and Sprint apparently since they were founded in the late 1800s in some form or another.

I hate to burst your bubble, but...

MCI was founded in 1963, while AT&T had built its transcontinental microwave route in 1947.

AT&T had its own mobile wireless network before the SBC/BellSouth Cingular was merged in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

This is nice and all, but we're getting off topic and flirting with politics. While an intriguing side bar, we need to get refocused in this thread.

• Like 1

This is nice and all, but we're getting off topic and flirting with politics. While an intriguing side bar, we need to get refocused in this thread.

And to do that...

Did you ever find that reference to what market Montana is in? Although I still assume it will become its own since it is more than just a handful of sites...

And to do that...

Did you ever find that reference to what market Montana is in? Although I still assume it will become its own since it is more than just a handful of sites...

Haven't looked yet.

Haven't looked yet.

Oh well.

Other than the old CellularOne coverage map, is there any references that might give a clue to the number of sites involved in this deal?

Oh well.

Other than the old CellularOne coverage map, is there any references that might give a clue to the number of sites involved in this deal?

I haven't looked at that either. I'm guessing around 50-60.

Well that sounds reasonable.

I would think it wouldn't take long for Samsung to run through that on NV upgrades, particularly if they start with GMOs.

• Like 3

Well that sounds reasonable.

I would think it wouldn't take long for Samsung to run through that on NV upgrades, particularly if they start with GMOs.

A good thing about a brand new market like this is that not only are the original 800/1900 antennas and equipment being deployed but also the 2500 8T8R antennas and equipment will be as well. That way Sprint can announce a brand new market expansion and have "Sprint Spark" immediately available to everyone. Bam! Instant attraction to the locals who may want something different. 

• Like 5

A good thing about a brand new market like this is that not only are the original 800/1900 antennas and equipment being deployed but also the 2500 8T8R antennas and equipment will be as well. That way Sprint can announce a brand new market expansion and have "Sprint Spark" immediately available to everyone. Bam! Instant attraction to the locals who may want something different. 

That certainly would be a great way to do it, but I wonder if its reasonable. I know the antennas and equipment could be done fairly quickly, but what about the backhaul?

Edited by cdk
  • Like 1

That certainly would be a great way to do it, but I wonder if its reasonable. I know the antennas and equipment could be done fairly quickly, but what about the backhaul?

When in doubt microwave everything and replace with fiber in the long term.

Sprint probably already placed the backhaul orders for the sites. They know what happens if they dont begin immediately and i doubt Saw or Son wants a repeat of the backhaul fiasco we all know very well. 

• Like 1

Hopefully Sprint won't repeat the mistakes they made in regard to contracting for backhaul like they did in NV 1.0. 

Sprint probably already placed the backhaul orders for the sites. They know what happens if they dont begin immediately and i doubt Saw or Son wants a repeat of the backhaul fiasco we all know very well. 

I hope they already have placed those orders. Of course the question is always when will it get to those sites (and microwave still needs at least one site on the chain to have fiber)?

Maybe the correct answer is to deploy everything as quickly as possible, get it up and running to reduce roaming cost, and only announce it when you have a nearly complete spark market.

Hopefully Sprint won't repeat the mistakes they made in regard to contracting for backhaul like they did in NV 1.0. 

I would certainly hope they don't. But there are still many variables involved... Hopefully there are choices other than CenturyLink in Montana...

:goodpost:

This is what Sprint should be doing with every site that is still waiting on backhaul right now.  They should prioritize every heavily populated site that does have adequate backhaul to it and deploy microwave ASAP.  Then move to the rural areas that do not have enough backhaul prioritizing by usage on each site.

• Like 2