Sprint to expand to Montana using shut down CellularOne sites

This Cellular One site is right by Interstate 90 in Hardin. It was raining so didn't spend a lot of time outside lol. Going to Billings later might try to get some more pics of sites in town if the weather and family permits :)

sydaduzy.jpg

ete2adap.jpg

ypa9ary3.jpg

peny2ame.jpg

ytuzuja3.jpg

• Like 8

I guess there are huge chunk of MT covered by IBEZ so that they cannot use SMR

You apparently do not know where the vast majority of the Montana population lives.  Not in the IBEZ.

AJ

• Like 1

Really? Interesting, so Sprint could/already does offer service there?

By lending its spectrum to Alltel, Sprint did satisfy FCC construction requirements and offer pseudo native service in Montana years ago.  But that arrangement went the way of the dodo not long after Alltel did.

AJ

• Like 1

I guess there are huge chunk of MT covered by IBEZ so that they cannot use SMR

You apparently do not know where the vast majority of the Montana population lives.  Not in the IBEZ.

AJ

To be pedantic, both statements are correct, assuming he is speaking geographically and you are speaking in terms of population covered.

• Like 1

I remember an earlier thread that was talking about this exact region and if sprint should have purchased it before they just shut it down... I'm guessing this was cheaper for sprint, and in an area that will not be an immediate revenue generator, being frugal is key.  I think having coverage along all major highways and in all populated areas of all states is the first step in creating a competitive network, which will be necessary for them to gain back market share and continue improving service.  

As it looks now, unless I purposely plan a roadtrip through montana, I'll probably never experience these new towers.  But because I am always curious about how other areas are doing, it would be awesome if robert could add montana to the upgrade market list. (once they start planning, of course) 

• Like 5

By lending its spectrum to Alltel, Sprint did satisfy FCC construction requirements and offer pseudo native service in Montana years ago.  But that arrangement went the way of the dodo not long after Alltel did.

AJ

I found that out the hard way when I was in billings for two weeks for work and dropped my OG Evo. I went into best buy to get it replaced and the guy laughed at me. He explained that Sprint "roamed" on Alltel. At that time I was not as wise (or in the know) as I am now and argued that my phone didn't say roaming.  Little did I know.

• Like 2

I found that out the hard way when I was in billings for two weeks for work and dropped my OG Evo. I went into best buy to get it replaced and the guy laughed at me. He explained that Sprint "roamed" on Alltel. At that time I was not as wise (or in the know) as I am now and argued that my phone didn't say roaming.  Little did I know.

I used to work at Best Buy, and found myself explaining things like that all the time.  MetroPCS plans were in our comparison charts before T-mobile bought them, and people wanted to buy them but we had to explain that they didn't have service in pittsburgh... Also, people would see a t-mobile commercial & wanted to switch, but drove 1+hrs to our store from BFE and we would try to tell them that they would maybe have voice calls at home.  You were not alone, lol.  But I blame the companies marketing that over exaggerates what people will get, even the almighty verizon has dead spots near us (at least unusable indoors with constant dropped calls) and customers would get mad at us for suggesting they might be better with another service!  

From what I have read today, sprint (softbank) still thinks that eventually more consolidation will happen, which i'm not sure of given the response of the government from the past few tries. I guess I'm just wondering if they will really commit to building out the network if they just plan to try to merge again. 

I used to work at Best Buy, and found myself explaining things like that all the time. MetroPCS plans were in our comparison charts before T-mobile bought them, and people wanted to buy them but we had to explain that they didn't have service in pittsburgh... Also, people would see a t-mobile commercial & wanted to switch, but drove 1+hrs to our store from BFE and we would try to tell them that they would maybe have voice calls at home. You were not alone, lol. But I blame the companies marketing that over exaggerates what people will get, even the almighty verizon has dead spots near us (at least unusable indoors with constant dropped calls) and customers would get mad at us for suggesting they might be better with another service!

From what I have read today, sprint (softbank) still thinks that eventually more consolidation will happen, which i'm not sure of given the response of the government from the past few tries. I guess I'm just wondering if they will really commit to building out the network if they just plan to try to merge again.

I think it is possible but you need politics that support big business. I don't want to make this political but democrats typically go against it and are more about monitoring the market whether it is beneficial or not. However we see what happen under the bush administration allowing att and verizon To get so big. The administration did not perform enough/any monitoring of the marketplace. It is a pendulum.

Who knows 2016 could be a different story in a short sighted view. Perhaps tmo runs out of money and investors flee and sprints picks them apart.

In looking at other carriers coverage maps, I figured another strategic purchase for Sprint would be a carrier such as Choice Wireless. Choice Wireless would give Sprint a bit of infrastructure in (I guess what would be considered rural) parts of Arizona, Nevada, a bit of Colorado, and New Mexico. 

The green on this map specifically as the orange is native Sprint coverage as far as I can tell.

• Like 3

In looking at other carriers coverage maps, I figured another strategic purchase for Sprint would be a carrier such as Choice Wireless. Choice Wireless would give Sprint a bit of infrastructure in (I guess what would be considered rural) parts of Arizona, Nevada, a bit of Colorado, and New Mexico.

The green on this map specifically as the orange is native Sprint coverage as far as I can tell.

Looks like Commnet coverage to me. Choice must be their retail brand. Commnet is a Sprint RRPP member.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like Commnet coverage to me. Choice must be their retail brand. Commnet is a Sprint RRPP member.

http://www.commnetwireless.com/services/wireless-wholesale.html

Didn't know that they supported both CDMA and GSM.

http://www.commnetwireless.com/services/wireless-wholesale.html

Didn't know that they supported both CDMA and GSM.

Commnet's main business is to provide roaming to everybody. They provide roaming to all four national providers. In New Mexico, AT&T and VZW roam on Commnet as native. That's why they do GSM and CDMA.

Their retail business is just to make some additional money off their network. Might as well monetize everything to maximize return.

• Like 2

Commnet's main business is to provide roaming to everybody. They provide roaming to all four national providers. In New Mexico, AT&T and VZW roam on Commnet as native. That's why they do GSM and CDMA.

Their retail business is just to make some additional money off their network. Might as well monetize everything to maximize return.

So I guess they question on everyone's mind is if purchasing a company like this would make sense for sprint, or if using them for roaming is be best bet for the long term.  I know many people here (myself included) would like to see sprint up their rural game and add some coverage, but is there enough benefit to justify the cost(whatever that might be)?

Also, since they offer roaming to all the other carriers, would sprint be able to also retain these agreements and make money off this area even with relatively few subs?

And the last question I have is about the RRPP members, and if buying members could change sprint's relationship with the other members?

• Like 3

So I guess they question on everyone's mind is if purchasing a company like this would make sense for sprint, or if using them for roaming is be best bet for the long term.  I know many people here (myself included) would like to see sprint up their rural game and add some coverage, but is there enough benefit to justify the cost(whatever that might be)?

Also, since they offer roaming to all the other carriers, would sprint be able to also retain these agreements and make money off this area even with relatively few subs?

And the last question I have is about the RRPP members, and if buying members could change sprint's relationship with the other members?

I personally would like for them to buy all the RRPP and CCA members but then operate them as an independent company focusing on rural areas. That rural company can get USF money, all kinds of grants from the federal government, discounts for spectrum, etc. They might even let them provide roaming services to other companies. 

• Like 6

An interesting tidbit about Commnet. They are doing a huge expansion in Nebraska. They are operating under the name of "Tisdale Nebraska LLC". They just renewed their Nebraska area lease with AT&T 1900 the end of 2013. I've been trying to figure out if the new towers are CDMA or GSM. Also can't figure out why they building out Nebraska because it's covered well with CDMA from VZW and USCC and GSM/HSPA from Viaero Wireless. There's some speculation on Howard Forums that they may be doing this to sell to AT&T.... It makes sense because they building out only in areas with no AT&T network and their doing it under this new LLC.

But maybe it could be for Sprint? Sprint wouldn't really need anybody in Nebraska if they would team up with USCC...

I personally would like for them to buy all the RRPP and CCA members but then operate them as an independent company focusing on rural areas. That rural company can get USF money, all kinds of grants from the federal government, discounts for spectrum, etc. They might even let them provide roaming services to other companies.

Great idea!
  • Like 1

But maybe it could be for Sprint? Sprint wouldn't really need anybody in Nebraska if they would team up with USCC...

No "Tisdale" is doing it for AT&T for sure in Nebraska. A roaming deal with USCC is the likely path at this point for Sprint and rural Nebraska.

Ill admit that most retail reps suck. Out of all the ones ive worked with in the last few years i could count on one hand the number that truely understood sprints policy's and understood how everything worked.

I meant *ALL* retail. McDonald's, Lowes, Dodge, Shell, Sargentos, etc. You get the point.