Sprint to expand to Montana using shut down CellularOne sites

:sunny::frantic::lol:

Montana G-block licenses granted by FCC effective 5/19/2017 for expiration 3/3/2026.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

• Like 1

It means Sprint did not lose their licenses in the area

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

One can only hope they would finally roll out LTE service in Montana then. Knowing sprint, I doubt they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One can only hope they would finally roll out LTE service in Montana then. Knowing sprint, I doubt they will.

They're sitting on over 200 active site leases/owned towers with equipment already deployed...

Does anyone remember what type of network CellularOne operated in Montana before their shutdown?

They're sitting on over 200 active site leases/owned towers with equipment already deployed...

Does anyone remember what type of network CellularOne operated in Montana before their shutdown?

Right and we all understand that but they've said nothing about launching service up there and have yet to update their coverage maps to show the coverage. It's spotty in a few towns at best. I plan on visiting Montana next summer. I just hope I get service up there or else I'll have to switch to T-Mobile beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what type of network (GSM/WCDMA/1x/EVDO/HSPA) CellularOne operated in Montana and over which frequencies?

I think it was GSM but I'm trying to double check VoLTE would allow them to just use the antennas cell one left and upgrade the ground equipment aka GMO sites. But this will be what sprint coverage looks like with the old cell one footprint http://www.cellularmaps.com/mtpcs.shtml

• Like 1

I think it was GSM but I'm trying to double check VoLTE would allow them to just use the antennas cell one left and upgrade the ground equipment aka GMO sites. But this will be what sprint coverage looks like with the old cell one footprint http://www.cellularmaps.com/mtpcs.shtml

That’s what I’ve been thinking. If CellularOne operated a PCS network, all Sprint would have to do is swap CellularOne’s old RRUs out with Samsung NV RRUs and ground equipment. They could run 1x/LTE over CellOne’s antennae ala Sprint’s current (and ongoing) GMO deployment.

With the ~200 to 250 sites I estimate they have, the whole footprint could probably be up and running in under three months (~3 sites a day).

Sadly, though, as far as I know, there aren’t plans for an extensive buildout in Montana in the immediate future. I’d keep my eyes on South Dakota and Wyoming if I were you ;).

GSM antennas are not necessarily interoperable with CDMA2000 or LTE.  GSM cannot reuse the same frequencies in adjacent sectors.  CDMA2000 and LTE almost inherently do, thus utilize narrower beam widths.

AJ

• Like 1

That’s what I’ve been thinking. If CellularOne operated a PCS network, all Sprint would have to do is swap CellularOne’s old RRUs out with Samsung NV RRUs and ground equipment. They could run 1x/LTE over CellOne’s antennae ala Sprint’s current (and ongoing) GMO deployment.

With the ~200 to 250 sites I estimate they have, the whole footprint could probably be up and running in under three months (~3 sites a day).

Sadly, though, as far as I know, there aren’t plans for an extensive buildout in Montana in the immediate future. I’d keep my eyes on South Dakota and Wyoming if I were you ;).

I’ve pretty much given up hope for Montana Sprint coverage but do you care to shed some light on Wyoming and South Dakota ? Any information deployments etc that we haven’t heard of

I’ve pretty much given up hope for Montana Sprint coverage but do you care to shed some light on Wyoming and South Dakota ? Any information deployments etc that we haven’t heard of

Quite a few sites planned in both states - I don’t have all of the details yet but will share more soon :).

EDIT: I’m not sure if I’m allowed to talk about individual sites in the non-sponsor sections...if you’re a sponsor then stay tuned in those forums.

• Like 2