Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dnicekid

Every had to crop a picture? At 8MP, you have very little latitude in cropping until quality is severely compromised.

take a better picture and don't rely on the edit to save it?

But in all seriousness I remember reading something saying most screens don't display any higher than 2mp anyways. The megapixel game on a phone is kind of stupid to me. If it looks good on the phone I'm pleased since I never have them printed anyways.

I suppose that's the same theory HTC has but I'll tell you, going from an 8mp camera (S3) to a 13mp (S4T) was a substantial difference. I know the megapixel count isn't always the main difference but it can't hurt to help produce a higher quality picture.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Again, a higher megapixel count doesn't equal a higher quality picture.  To get these higher megapixels counts on these relatively tiny camera sensors  you have to decrease the size of each pixel(usually to about 1.1 microns) but what ends up happening is that noise increases substantially(especially when cropping) because each pixel isn't getting enough light. Now you won't notice the noise as much in well lit situations but once you get into a medium to low light situation then you can really see the noise.  Look at the gs5 for example, it takes outstanding photos in well lit areas but in medium to low light its laughable.  This is htc's logic with their ultrapixel camera setup(which is 2 microns), the m7/m8 photo will look good in good lighting and due to the larger pixels a lot of that quality will still be there in lower light scenarios while maintaining a lower noise level.  Of course the major downside is the zooming, cropping will look bad compared to the competition but it will usually still show less noise.  

• Like 1

Cat 6, supports B25/26/41.  No Carrier Aggregation.  No Sprint VoLTE.  No CCA/RRPP compatibility.  Basically, the timing of the Note series releases makes it bad for Sprint, year after year.  It always seems to be the last model of the year that doesn't support the new Sprint network initiatives.  There you go.

So, I'm still debating whether I should preorder at the end of the week (in order to take advantage of the $200 rebate) or hold off till mid October to see if anything "unexpected" shows up.

To me, the lack of carrier aggregation is the biggest downside - it seems from what I've read, Cat 6 and the next gen modem with the 805 is pretty pointless without it.  But upgrading to triband from my lowly Evo 4G LTE would be a big improvement.

As for Sprint VoLTE, isn't it still in the specifications / design stage?   Also, I wonder where it sits on the priority list now that Sprint's leadership has changed up.  I'm assuming I can live without it till mid 2016.

With CCA / RRPP program, I seem to recall that the benefits were largely regional, and that in California, there would be little to no benefit, so its one of those, would be nice bits.

The Nexus X or whatever its to be called probably won't be out till the end of October, and I don't see anything new beyond that until Spring.  Since we aren't getting the Moto X (2nd Gen) and the new nexus is motorola, I wonder if that will have an effect on its availability on Sprint....

What do you guys think?

So, I'm still debating whether I should preorder at the end of the week (in order to take advantage of the $200 rebate) or hold off till mid October to see if anything "unexpected" shows up.

To me, the lack of carrier aggregation is the biggest downside - it seems from what I've read, Cat 6 and the next gen modem with the 805 is pretty pointless without it.  But upgrading to triband from my lowly Evo 4G LTE would be a big improvement.

As for Sprint VoLTE, isn't it still in the specifications / design stage?   Also, I wonder where it sits on the priority list now that Sprint's leadership has changed up.  I'm assuming I can live without it till mid 2016.

With CCA / RRPP program, I seem to recall that the benefits were largely regional, and that in California, there would be little to no benefit, so its one of those, would be nice bits.

The Nexus X or whatever its to be called probably won't be out till the end of October, and I don't see anything new beyond that until Spring.  Since we aren't getting the Moto X (2nd Gen) and the new nexus is motorola, I wonder if that will have an effect on its availability on Sprint....

What do you guys think?

I don't make device recommendations, personally.  But maybe someone else will.  But no device is future proof, and getting rid of your EVO should be a high priority.  For most people, CA on B41 will not be a big deal.  Maximum speed of 75Mbps, versus maximum speed of 150Mbps doesn't seem all that big of a deal.  However, if you were on B41 at the edge of service, it could be the difference of 10Mbps instead of 5Mbps.  So I guess there's that about CA.

I doubt there will be any Sprint VoLTE devices until Q2 2015.  I only included the point that the GN4 does not support Sprint VoLTE only because if I didn't say, someone would ask.  I've already been asked several times.  But it may be possible that some of the flagship devices that are VoLTE capable now may be able to be software upgraded to support Sprint VoLTE in the future.

As far as CCA/RRPP, the benefits are largely regional.  But USCC has some good coverage north of Sacramento in rural areas.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Golden State Cellular and possibly some others end up in the RRPP.  But it definitely is not the end of the world, by any stretch to get a non CCA/RRPP compliant handset right now.  We don't even know the dates that any of these networks will be discoverable to Sprint customers.

• Like 2

I don't make device recommendations, personally.  But maybe someone else will.  But no device is future proof, and getting rid of your EVO should be a high priority.  For most people, CA on B41 will not be a big deal.  Maximum speed of 75Mbps, versus maximum speed of 150Mbps doesn't seem all that big of a deal.  However, if you were on B41 at the edge of service, it could be the difference of 10Mbps instead of 5Mbps.  So I guess there's that about CA.

And this is of course assuming the tower is free to provide two carriers to you at the given moment.

Also, did you mean cat 4 instead of cat 6?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Golden State Cellular and possibly some others end up in the RRPP.

I think that's a bit unlikely as Golden State Cellular was acquired by VZW earlier this year. [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Also, did you mean cat 4 instead of cat 6?

I think that's a bit unlikely as Golden State Cellular was acquired by VZW earlier this year. [emoji17]

Looks like my batting average is coming down dramatically in this thread. Whoa!

Cat 6, supports B25/26/41.  No Carrier Aggregation.  No Sprint VoLTE.  No CCA/RRPP compatibility.  Basically, the timing of the Note series releases makes it bad for Sprint, year after year.  It always seems to be the last model of the year that doesn't support the new Sprint network initiatives.  There you go.

Going back to this. You make a very good point to which would explain why the Note series seems to always get the short end of the stick. But I am left wondering, and let me play devils' advocate for a bit. But would this also apply to the Note Edge? Reason I ask is because it seems that the Note 4 P/G/U/V versions were manufactured in early July and sent to the FCC for testing. The testing was performed from July 29 thru Sept 4. (4-5 weeks).

I believe that with Samsung stating that the Note Edge will be coming later in the year (probably for Nov-Dec)  then most likely the Edge would be in the FCCs hand soon (if not there already) to meet a pre-holiday sales, since they normally take a month (4-5 weeks to test). So with that being the case, would it be safe to say that the Note Edge could possibly have upgraded internals for Cat 6, CA and CCA/RRPP compatibility since it was most likely manufactured later and submitted for testing way after the Note 4?

• Like 1

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-4-launch-ahead-schedule-samsung-ambitious-sales-targets

Granted, probably not on Sprint (or anyone in the US) considering Sprint's preorders are a week later than others.

Samsung didn't do this well.  Sure, you announce ahead of the iPhone, but then don't even give a release date until after the launch?  Don't assume that possible Note 4 buyers won't look at the iPhone.  I probably won't, but the RF performance of the iPhone 6 is sure temping.

If the 6+ wasn't even BIGGER than the N4 that would make it more convincing...

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-4-launch-ahead-schedule-samsung-ambitious-sales-targets

Granted, probably not on Sprint (or anyone in the US) considering Sprint's preorders are a week later than others.

Samsung didn't do this well. Sure, you announce ahead of the iPhone, but then don't even give a release date until after the launch? Don't assume that possible Note 4 buyers won't look at the iPhone. I probably won't, but the RF performance of the iPhone 6 is sure temping.

If the 6+ wasn't even BIGGER than the N4 that would make it more convincing...

and wasn't made by apple...lol

Yeah, and somehow it still has a smaller display.

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/09/samsung-galaxy-note-4-note-edge-australian-pricing-release-dates/

I hope this isn't right.  Edge to cost $300!! more!  Maybe the Aussie premium for it is a little high but I'm sure it'll be more than $100.

Same price as the iPhone 6+ 128GB off contract, so if that pricing follows in the US, would be $500-$550 on a 2 year contract.  Gulp.

Also release date is 11/5 over there

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/09/samsung-galaxy-note-4-note-edge-australian-pricing-release-dates/

I hope this isn't right. Edge to cost $300!! more! Maybe the Aussie premium for it is a little high but I'm sure it'll be more than $100.

If they charge $300 more in the U.S. for the Note Edge, it will be a horrible flop. Charging more than $100US difference will probably not be a good idea in the American market. The Note already is an expensive and premium device. The Note Edge will be worth $100 for the novelty to a lot of people. But $300 for the same specs just is not going to cut it.

• Like 2

If they charge $300 more in the U.S. for the Note Edge, it will be a horrible flop. Charging more than $100US difference will probably not be a good idea in the American market. The Note already is an expensive and premium device. The Note Edge will be worth $100 for the novelty to a lot of people. But $300 for the same specs just is not going to cut it.

Yeah $400 is more than I'm willing to part with. $350 would be my max I'm willing to spend on any device no matter the specs

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

What do you guys think?

The way I see it..... either you're going to deprive yourself now or later.

You have two options:

1) Purchase now and deprive yourself when VoLTE, CCA/RRPP, and carrier aggregation are fully implemented - until you decide to upgrade AGAIN.

2) Deprive yourself now of all the goodies that are in the Note 4 and not in an Evo 4G LTE (I have a Galaxy S3 so I'm in the same boat) and wait for a phone that's compatible  with the aforementioned wish list.

Comfort yourself with the fact that either choice will leave you deprived. It's your decision and yours alone what is worth the deprivation. Although, the sooner you update the less you'll have to be without the wish list features. (You'll be able to upgrade sooner)

I hope that helps.

Anyone ever upgraded with them before? I never have and don't want to have any issues with losing my ED1500 family plan or them botching it in some way. Their $200 gift card with a phone trade in and note 4 pre order is a pretty tempting deal