Questions on forcing 1X data instead of 3G or 4G

briank101

I just started listening to a streaming station 32 kpbs (AAC+ quality) and in the 1 or 2 hours that I have done this, I find I have less drops if I set my phone to "CDMA only" aka 1X in the Chicago suburbs. Does this strategy have merit?

Are there pros and cons with this from a Sprint perspective?

I would think that because nearly all phones nowadays are getting their data from 3G and 4G in non-rural areas, that 1X data has relatively few users. Advantage: Possibly more consistent coverage, with access to both the 1X 800 MHz (band 26) and the 1X 1900 bands albeit slower without needing to upgrade my phone. Possibly lower battery use. Less likely to use up my data allowance by a rouge application as the max data speed is capped.

Does the available 1X data bandwidth on a channel depend on how many voice circuits are in use on the CDMA 1X Adv 1.25 MHz channel?  Also will 1X data automatically hand off to the least congested available 1X channel?

I welcome your input.

Thanks,

Brian

I just started listening to a streaming station 32 kpbs (AAC+ quality) and in the 1 or 2 hours that I have done this, I find I have less drops if I set my phone to "CDMA only" aka 1X in the Chicago suburbs. Does this strategy have merit?

Are there pros and cons with this from a Sprint perspective?

I would think that because nearly all phones nowadays are getting their data from 3G and 4G in non-rural areas, that 1X data has relatively few users. Advantage: Possibly more consistent coverage, with access to both the 1X 800 MHz (band 26) and the 1X 1900 bands albeit slower without needing to upgrade my phone. Possibly lower battery use. Less likely to use up my data allowance by a rouge application as the max data speed is capped.

Does the available 1X data bandwidth on a channel depend on how many voice circuits are in use on the CDMA 1X Adv 1.25 MHz channel? Also will 1X data automatically hand off to the least congested available 1X channel?

I welcome your input.

Thanks,

Brian

I have used 1x only for audio streaming in the past with good successes. The coverage and handoffs are perfect for most audio only streaming situations.

In a few instances, I would come across a channel that was saturated. Voice takes priority over data on 1x. So if you get to a spot where voice is overloaded, you will have no data throughput at all. But since Sprint has added so much 800MHz CDMA, it likely will not be much of a problem now except at maybe during events, etc.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. 

Does 1X use less battery?  I would think less decode processing and hence battery use is involved with an older technology. Also 800 MHz may use less transmit power required compared to EVDO/LTE on 1900 MHz ....    yes/no?

I really have not noticed any improved battery performance in using 1x only in devices from the past two years or so. If so, it would only be because you may have a stronger 1x signal in areas that could have weak LTE.

For me though it wouldn't matter. It is very rare for me to stream music when I'm not plugged in and charging. I'm almost always in my car or at my desk when I stream music. My wife does while running, but she only runs for 45-60 minutes at a time this time of year.

I have used 1x only for audio streaming in the past with good successes. The coverage and handoffs are perfect for most audio only streaming situations.

In a few instances, I would come across a channel that was saturated. Voice takes priority over data on 1x. So if you get to a spot where voice is overloaded, you will have no data throughput at all. But since Sprint has added so much 800MHz CDMA, it likely will not be much of a problem now except at maybe during events, etc.

I have had good success with doing that while streaming and taking the train, it goes through heavily wooded areas where coverage can get spotty and the train all metal chassis does not help.

• Like 1

I have horrible experience with using 1x only mode on my galaxy s5...  but maybe thats because there are no 1x800 sites up here yet, well less than i have fingers at least in washington.  lol. could be like robert said and voice is taking priority for my case here in washington.  But who knows.  If it works for you all the power to you!