WiFi Calling Experiences?

spotmeterf64

Has anyone had issues connecting to WiFi calling to 5 ghz frequency? I can't get mine to authenticate on this frequency.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk 4

Has anyone had issues connecting to WiFi calling to 5 ghz frequency? I can't get mine to authenticate on this frequency.

Works for me on my -AC router at 5 GHz, no problems.

And, in reference to earlier discussion of international WiFi calling, keep in mind that the cellular radio is deactivated when WiFi calling is turned on, so the phone cannot look for cellular signals, thus cannot try to roam.

• Like 1

It works fine for me on 5 GHz with my AC router. 

Settings are the same on both sides of the router. But I had been having issues connecting over the last few weeks on either frequency. It's a new router so I will recheck my settings to make sure I haven't messed something up by mistake.

Bump.

Anybody have any inside info on whether or not Sprint will Iphone WIFI calling? :)

Tmobile does with ios 8 beta. There has been no evidence supporting wifi calling on ios 8 with sprint, but I don't see why it won't it couldn't be available with ios 8.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Tmobile does with ios 8 beta. There has been no evidence supporting wifi calling on ios 8 with sprint, but I don't see why it won't it couldn't be available with ios 8.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I knew Tmobile wifi calling was 'turned on' in one of the IOS 8 Beta's.  I was just specifically wondering if anyone had any new news regarding Sprint and wifi-calling with IOS8.

Thanks.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I knew Tmobile wifi calling was 'turned on' in one of the IOS 8 Beta's. I was just specifically wondering if anyone had any new news regarding Sprint and wifi-calling with IOS8.

Thanks.

No. Not until tomorrow

Apple mentioned that with VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling combined, they will be able to do handoffs from Wi-Fi to the cellular network seamlessly.

Is VoLTE really required for a smooth handoff, or is it possible Apple has figured out a way to handoff from Wi-Fi to 1x?

• 2 weeks later...

<p>How likely is it that Sprint is going to release Android updates to add Wifi calling capability to such phones as the HTC One, LG G2, Moto X, etc?  It seems like all the 2014 LTE phones all have wifi calling capability built in but i would like to see at least 2013 LTE phones to include wifi calling.</p>

<p>How likely is it that Sprint is going to release Android updates to add Wifi calling capability to such phones as the HTC One, LG G2, Moto X, etc?  It seems like all the 2014 LTE phones all have wifi calling capability built in but i would like to see at least 2013 LTE phones to include wifi calling.</p>

Depends on if the manufacturer will work with them to add WiFi calling capability.  If Android L supports it and these devices get an update for L then it's even more likely they will get WiFi calling.

I've been curious about the bandwidth requirements on wifi calling (as I've not had good luck with it at home, so I thought it maybe was my ***insert adjective**** connection ..which is lowly AT&T DSL, 6mbps down, half a meg upload.

Thanks to a test I'm currently in, the device has a built-in throughput monitor..so I connected my phone to the wifi of the *test* device, connected and allowed Wifi calling on that connection, then made a phone call while watching the throughput monitor.

The graph below shows what the kbps does when going from idle to negotating and connecting to a phone call (voicemail for this call) The first spike is me sending a photo MMS message. It jumped WAY up..and used lots more bandwidth than a phone call. The second "spike" that continues is a phone call. I stopped the monitor before I hung up -- not thinking. I'll break the charts down in another post, texts versus MMS versus phone calls.

wifi1.PNG

The following are separated graphs. Text msgs first, then call, then MMS.

Text messages(3 or so I think in the graph)

texts-only.PNG

Then we have a phone call (I called my home phone/landline vonage from my cell and talked to see if voice made it spike..no real change in throughput)

call-only.PNG

I sent 3 photos to my wife's cell ..each one is definitely visible as the spike goes nearly to 1/2 meg throughput.

mms-only.PNG

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can use this to recieve text messages right?

When travelling internationally, how does one make sure you can recieve and send texts and calls and not be charged international rates?

Yes it works for text.

An even better solution is to enable full Google voice integration and use hangouts for SMS which will be delivered over data or cellular.

Yes it works for text.

An even better solution is to enable full Google voice integration and use hangouts for SMS which will be delivered over data or cellular.

Which you can't do on business lines.