Sprint: 800 MHz rebanding project nearing completion

Rawvega

Rebanding is a separate issue than the IBEZ.  Rebanding can complete along the Mexico and Canada borders and the IBEZ will still persist.  This rebanding is affecting American providers in the SMR band, not international providers in the same spectrum.

Until Mexican and Canadian providers stop using narrowband transmissions within Sprint's 800 SMR spectrum holdings on the other side of the border, there will be no resolution to the IBEZ problem.  Until Mexico and Canada rebands themselves, the problem will will not go away.  AFAIK, there is no rebanding occurring north or south of the border.

Robert

All rebanding along the border regions even if it is an American system has to be coordinated with Mexican or Canadian authorities and licensees, so that a system that is getting rebanded new location is not one that's already occupied by a Canadian or Mexican licensee. At the border regions, even when fully rebanded, there has to be spectrum sharing to minimize interference. There are other ways to minimize interference such as coordinating downtilt and coverage patterns that require extensive coordination. The best solution is to have a border operating company which then sells capacity in the border region to carriers on both sides of the border.

So since Seattle won't be getting 800Mhz for the next 5+ years, does that mean that Sprint will be applying 1x Adv. tech upgrades to 1900Mhz?

Our only in-building salvation being the 600Mhz auction forcing us to wait 3-5 years for its separate implementation?

Why does Sprint have to be so aggravating for us Seattilites?

So since Seattle won't be getting 800Mhz for the next 5+ years, does that mean that Sprint will be applying 1x Adv. tech upgrades to 1900Mhz?

Our only in-building salvation being the 600Mhz auction forcing us to wait 3-5 years for its separate implementation?

Why does Sprint have to be so aggravating for us Seattilites?

Blame TELUS and Canadian Public Safety for being pains in the collective ass of Sprint, compare to places like St. Louis where B26 deployment is flying along. The whole build there lumbered slow until March, then the accelerator got hit.

• Like 2

Can someone provide me some background information? How does the rebranding affect me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebranding

AJ

One of these days a tell all book will be written about this rebanding boondoggle.

Shortly after 800 MHz rebanding is finally complete, I could see many agencies wanting to move to the brand new Upper 700 MHz D block + Public Safety network.  It has spectrum for both broadband and narrowband operations.  That could be the boondoggle.

AJ

Shortly after 800 MHz rebanding is finally complete, I could see many agencies wanting to move to the brand new Upper 700 MHz D block + Public Safety network. It has spectrum for both broadband and narrowband operations. That could be the boondoggle.

AJ

It isn't a boondoggle already, AJ? I'd say it's already a boondoggle.

It isn't a boondoggle already, AJ? I'd say it's already a boondoggle.

It was a solution that made sense at the time.  But it has taken so long to implement that it is already nearing the end of its usefulness.

AJ

• Like 1

It was a solution that made sense at the time. But it has taken so long to implement that it is already nearing the end of its usefulness.

AJ

That's precisely why I think it's already a boondoggle.

Shortly after 800 MHz rebanding is finally complete, I could see many agencies wanting to move to the brand new Upper 700 MHz D block + Public Safety network.  It has spectrum for both broadband and narrowband operations.  That could be the boondoggle.

AJ

I think Sprint would love to finance that move...

That's precisely why I think it's already a boondoggle.

Many of these public/private projects work out that way.  By the protracted time that they can be funded and implemented, their opportune moments have passed.

Look at the Charlotte Coliseum.  It had a useful life of only 15 years, lost the NBA team that it was built to secure, then was demolished.  That is a boondoggle.

Had Sprint been able to retire iDEN 800 and switch to CDMA1X 800 years earlier, many of the Public Safety interference concerns likely would have gone away.

AJ

Once rebanding is complete is there any reason why the ibez should remain so large? Wouldn't a 10 or 15 mile ibez suffice?

The ibex will always be large -- especially its horns.

Capra_ibex_ibex_%E2%80%93_04.jpg

AJ

So does this news confirm that North Carolina is free and clear now, or is this only in reference to squatters and not the public service usage?

Last I heard they are still testing to make sure everything is ok. I'm still trying to get completion that they have handed the keys to the kingdom over to Sprint.

• Like 1

This .doc should shed some light onto the NorCal and Nevada issues. Since it has to do with a municipality and not a privately owned spectrum squatter hopefully it will be ok.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-14-866A1.doc

Damn San Bernardino County throwing a monkey wrench in Clark County Band 26 progress.  :censored: 

• Like 2

Wait so in East Texas with one license remaining, with active b26 and bc10, there may be more spectrum available for use after rebanding?

Damn San Bernardino County throwing a monkey wrench in Clark County Band 26 progress.  :censored: 

San Bernardino County, why you so frickin' huge?

:P

AJ

San Bernardino County, why you so frickin' huge?

:P

AJ

I'm guessing that this a play on a pop culture reference, but I'm drawing a total blank.  :blush:

At any rate, I'd amend it to read: San Bernardino County, why you so frickin' SLOOOOOOW?  :mad:

10 freaking years and they still have not gotten it done. Un-freaking-believable. I will put most of the blame on the FCC which refused to sanction PS when they delayed time after time.

• Like 2

I'm guessing that this a play on a pop culture reference, but I'm drawing a total blank.  :blush:

I do not think it is a pop culture reference.  It is a geography reference because San Bernardino County is literally frickin' huge.  If you look at where San Bernardino is located and where Las Vegas is located, San Bernardino County should not be a problem for Clark County, since there should be at least one other county in between them.  But there is not.

AJ

• Like 1

This .doc should shed some light onto the NorCal and Nevada issues. Since it has to do with a municipality and not a privately owned spectrum squatter hopefully it will be ok.

Looks like the rest of Nor Cal and Nevada can proceed.  Hopefully we be seeing 800LTE within a few months.

Is there still any issues with a shortage of B26 cards that they have to install?

Thanks for sharing that. Blows my mind that a single county can block an entire state, and it's neighbor, from deploying LTE on SMR. 

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing that. Blows my mind that a single county can block an entire state, and it's neighbor, from deploying LTE on SMR. 

Yeah, it's crazy. Inyo, Tulare and Clark Counties (cumulative population: ~2.5 million) currently being excluded from Band 26 deployment due to a whopping three sites owned by San Bernardino County.  :wall: 

Yeah, it's crazy. Inyo, Tulare and Clark Counties (cumulative population: ~2.5 million) currently being excluded from Band 26 deployment due to a whopping three sites owned by San Bernardino County.  :wall: 

Yeah bu they are boomer sites! Fry your behind if you're too close. Downtilt...what downtilt? I hope their broadband network is not built the same way.

Yeah, it's crazy. Inyo, Tulare and Clark Counties (cumulative population: ~2.5 million) currently being excluded from Band 26 deployment due to a whopping three sites owned by San Bernardino County. :wall:

How can Pahrump not be included in that 80 mile range if Clark County is included? I really have to wonder that. And it's surprising that Visalia isn't able to be exempted. Where does San Bernardino County have these towers located?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

How can Pahrump not be included in that 80 mile range if Clark County is included? I really have to wonder that. And it's surprising that Visalia isn't able to be exempted. Where does San Bernardino County have these towers located?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure Sprint cannot deploy B26 in Pahrump either.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro