iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

I earned my technical chops over the weekend when I predicted the possibility that the new Sprint iPhone 6 variants would go with international LTE bands in the 700/800 MHz range rather than band 12.

AJ

Well...I am glad your prediction about b41 was incorrect. Everything else you said, I didn't want to believe, but I had a feeling you were correct. And you were. 

Here's to hoping the phone 6s  isn't leaked onto the damn internet next year. People wonder why Apple wants to start using robots, and there is why. I knew that the phone was going to look something exactly like what the leaks show. I didn't want to believe it, but they were true.  lol. How that guy got a working iPhone 6 is beyond me. 

For the first time there will be an iPhone that actually costs more than one of Apple’s MacBooks. The basic version of the 11″ MacBook Air retails for just $899.

wow, that about sums it up

• Like 4

I was told that the movement away from contracts would put a downwards pressure on off contract pricing...

I think there has been a consistent caveat from No Subsidy Hawks that Apple would be the one fighting the trend.  Apple is double downing on the core demographic that earns them the most money.  And Apple will need to keep subsidies in place to keep its sales numbers up.  I think what Apple took away from the iPhone 5c flop is that people want Apple to make only high end devices.  Price conscious Apple consumers just buy last years models (or in some cases two years ago).

I personally think this is Apple's best strategy going forward.  And as long as Apple doesn't feel the pressure from the pricing in the rest of the market and their customers continue to pay the premium, I don't expect this to ever change.  But it will be hard to get back the budget minded consumer who has moved to Android.  Many of them want to come back, but they cannot really afford to.  These people may have to lease their phones if they want to be Apple customers with the latest devices.

It'll be interesting how the American wireless device sales model develops over the next few years.

• Like 2

According to the FCC, these are the RF maximum output for each of the Sprint bands.

LG G2                                                                   
23.09-27.08 dBm (LTE 1900),
24.48 dBm (LTE 800),
17.77-21.29 dBm (TD-LTE 2600)

Nexus 5 
RF ERP/EIRP Maximum:
23.28-23.96 dBm (LTE 1900),
19.80-20.80 dBm (LTE 800),
20.81-21.71 dBm (LTE 2600)

iPhone 6/6+

Band 25

5 MHz FDD channels: max EIRP 23.18dBm

Band 26

5 MHz FDD channels: max ERP 19.00dBm

Band 41 (Spark)

20 MHz TDD channels: max EIRP 31.86dBm

Are we looking at comparable/or better to Nexus 5 reception here???? Does anyone have the numbers on the 5S? I am interested in seeing the difference between the two. I also know that these numbers do not necessarily represent real life situations exactly. 

Are we looking at comparable/or better to Nexus 5 reception here???? Does anyone have the numbers on the 5S? I am interested in seeing the difference between the two. I also know that these numbers do not necessarily represent real life situations exactly. 

It appears to be similar to the Nexus 5, except in B41.  It seems that the new iPhones will have a distinct B41 advantage if it pans out in real world performance.

• Like 4

It appears to be similar to the Nexus 5, except in B41.  It seems that the new iPhones will have a distinct B41 advantage if it pans out in real world performance.

That is a 10+ dbm difference between the Nexus 5, which from everything I have read, is an absolute monster on b41. Granted those are peak numbers for the 6/6+, but damn.

edit: math

Well, with looking at more FCC docs, I'll be disappointed if I'm reading this right that CDMA Band Class 10 has a peak gain of -2.3 and Band Class 1 has a peak gain of 2.9, rendering the 1x800 voice as a last chance to maintain native Sprint service kind of thing. :angry:

EIRP for PCS is 27.92 dBm, and for SMR it's 20.63 dBm.

For those of us that really don't know what these numbers mean, do you think you can compare them to the 5s and maybe the nexus 5? Just to see how it stacks up?

To update you on this, the iPhone 5S had the following EIRP for PCS 1xRTT: 29.58 dBm, EVDO 30.38, SMR: 20.30 dBm, and an antenna gain of -2.4 dBi for CDMA Band Class 10 (aka SMR), and 1.6 dBi for Band Class 1 (aka PCS). In terms of RF performance on 1x800 voice, the iPhone 6/6+ are slightly better than the 5S, but not significant enough to notice it.

The Nexus 5 has SMR: 22.7 dBm, PCS 1xRTT: 29.3 dBm, EVDO 30.0 dBm, and antenna gains of -1.01 dBi for PCS, and -3.02 for Cellular (800 MHz band).

Edit: Hopefully Sprint will change the PRL to scan for 1x800 voice over 1x1900 voice, but that would only be a miracle at this point.

• Like 1

That is a 10+ dbm difference between the Nexus 5, which from everything I have read, is an absolute monster on b41. Granted those are peak numbers for the 6/6+, but damn.

edit: math

I used the term appears because EIRP numbers do not always equate in real world performance.  Nothing substitutes real world data to back up these guesses from EIRP reportings in the OET.

Robert

Are we looking at comparable/or better to Nexus 5 reception here???? Does anyone have the numbers on the 5S? I am interested in seeing the difference between the two. I also know that these numbers do not necessarily represent real life situations exactly. [/indent]

No one can say with any certainty.

For at least the past several iterations, iPhones have generally had above average RF power output levels.  However, as we have noted numerous times, that applies only to uplink transmission.  FCC OET authorization docs do not report downlink reception.  And if the downlink reception fails, uplink transmission is rendered moot, regardless of max output capability.

To illustrate, we have seen the Nexus 5 RF output capabilities look about average on paper -- yet its RF performance prove stellar in real world use.  High ERP/EIRP figures are good but not necessary nor any guarantee.  That said, low ERP/EIRP numbers are almost always an indicator of poor performance.

AJ

• Like 2

One thing I find interesting is that Apple kept all 3 colors for the 5S, expanded them to the 6/6+, and kept all 5 colors of the 5C. So now there are 14 different color/model combinations, for a total of 29 different iPhone choices this time around. So there is truly something for everyone.

This makes me seriously consider adding a new iphone to my wife's line on family share for $20 as a surprise gift. That is pretty hard to pass up really. . . Plus then she can enjoy the glorious B41 that is finally available in Austin.

• Like 1

I'll add that I would have predicted B41 support because of China Mobile's scale. Not Sprint's. 

Other than that, I'll give a very valid reason that Apple went with the MDM9625. Supply. I don't think the MDM9635 is in very great supply at all. So given they couldn't use the MDM9635 along with the Qualcomm RF solution, that eliminated the possibility that the iPhone 6 was going to support 40 LTE bands. Also, the Eurasian bands 20 and 28 get much greater scale than B12 which is only used by T-Mobile and a various rag tag of American rural carriers. It would be nice if we ever had a single set of global bands for LTE, but the world has a better chance of being destroyed by a meteorite than that. 

• Like 1

Apple/Sprint negotiated this new plan... Very interesting news....

http://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ceo-tries-to-get-back-in-the-game-with-apples-iphone-6/

CUPERTINO, Calif. -- On his first day as CEO of Sprint, Marcelo Claure didn't spend his time greeting employees in the company's Kansas headquarters. Instead, he traveled to Cupertino to meet with Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Sprint didn't start offering the iPhone until the fourth generation of the device -- the iPhone 4S in October 2011 -- and Claure was determined Sprint would be at the front of the pack this time around. So he asked Cook for a meeting.

The two CEOs struck a deal for Sprint to offer the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus at Sprint with new, specially priced, unlimited data plans. For $50, buyers of the iPhone 6 models will get unlimited data, voice, and text. By comparison, Sprint's cheapest plan for individuals currently costs $60.

Edited by ipplanman
  • Like 3

If the Iphone for life plan is really the individual plan just discounted does that mean that you can pay the $5 extra a month to be able to upgrade early? If so I'm about to be allover this plan,

I doubt it, it is what says it is; you are leasing an iphone for 2 years, you get a new iphone every 2 years.

not getting an iphone every 2 years + early upgrades

• Like 1

I doubt it, it is what says it is; you are leasing an iphone for 2 years, you get a new iphone every 2 years.

not getting an iphone every 2 years + early upgrades

Figured as much. I didn't know if anyone else's wheels were turning like mine so I figured I would ask.

Edit. I just asked care over chat and they said it is possible as long as you pay the $5 a month.

I would take that with a huge grain of salt.

I am sure it is no doubt possible with using EASYPAY, but not with iphone for life.

Besides, what is the point of early upgrades, if there is no new iphone to upgrade to?

I would take that with a huge grain of salt.

I am sure it is no doubt possible with using EASYPAY, but not with iphone for life.

Besides, what is the point of early upgrades, if there is no new iphone to upgrade to?

Oh I am. I'm not worried about upgrading a month from now. I would just like the option to be able to get the 6S when it comes out next year instead of being locked in.

Oh I am. I'm not worried about upgrading a month from now. I would just like the option to be able to get the 6S when it comes out next year instead of being locked in.

I was upgrading on the "S" cycle iPhones until I got the Galaxy S5...I'll probably switch back to the 6S+ next year when it comes out.