iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

iPhone for Life Plan

$70/mo, unlimited data, and no money down for a new iPhone (trade-in) every 2 years.

That is a good deal, right?

yes if you don't mind 'leasing' the phone, which they are being up-front about; you get no ownership, and its the base 6/16gig

I thought the new individual plan was $60/month.... Why does it say $50/month here?

apple specific plan, or unannounced price break!

I thought the new individual plan was $60/month.... Why does it say $50/month here?

Looks like a special "iPhone for life" plan. 50 and 20 for the phone. That's a spectacular deal if you can go with every other iPhone. Personally, I need the newest every year. But it's great now, especially if Apple continues the "iPhone/iPhone-s" trend. You'll only be getting the "next" iPhone. Most don't consider the "s" models upgrade-worthy.
  • Like 1

Based on that, it looks like the Sprint model would be usable on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, if unlocked. Verizon may decide to block iPhones from other networks. The new laws only prohibit the originating network from blocking it's use on another. It does not require other networks to accept it, though.

However, Tmo and AT&T will likely happily accept them and give you a SIM card for it after you pay off your Sprint contract. But I wouldn't be shocked if Apple requires them not to accept iPhones from other providers. It would be a way to get them to buy yet another iPhone at the next provider.

So it may turn out an unlocked iPhone from any carrier is not usable on ANY other network, even after unlocked. We will have to see what happens when people try.

Robert

Sprint's unlock policy allows foreign SIM cards, but it's always been locked out of domestic non Sprint SIMs. So popping in Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile SIM into Sprint's iPhone 5s/c for instance will give you "Incompatible SIM" error, and bring you back to the activation screen, even after you've successfully went through the process of unlocking the iOS device.

On the other hand, Verizon's variant when bought outright at the Apple store is unlocked out of the box, and will accept AT&T/T-Mobile SIM just fine. I'm using one right now on T-Mobile and iOS 8, and WiFi Calling and other T-Mobile features have been working all along.

Point is, even though Sprint's variant in theory should be able to work on every single operator known to men, it doesn't due to Sprint's firmware lockdown/database whitelist.

Sprint's unlock policy allows foreign SIM cards, but it's always been locked out of domestic non Sprint SIMs. So popping in Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile SIM into Sprint's iPhone 5s/c for instance will give you "Incompatible SIM" error, and bring you back to the activation screen, even after you've successfully went through the process of unlocking the iOS device.

On the other hand, Verizon's variant when bought outright at the Apple store is unlocked out of the box, and will accept AT&T/T-Mobile SIM just fine. I'm using one right now on T-Mobile and iOS 8, and WiFi Calling and other T-Mobile features have been working all along.

Point is, even though Sprint's variant in theory should be able to work on every single operator known to men, it doesn't due to Sprint's firmware lockdown/database whitelist.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't new Federal unlock policies prohibit Sprint from domestic locking any longer?  They don't have to sell compliant hardware, but I do believe they can no longer keep a phone domestically locked if there is no subsidy in place and the Owner requests it.

Robert

• Like 1

now if the iPhone was a thing for me. This would be nice!
  • Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't new Federal unlock policies prohibit Sprint from domestic locking any longer? They don't have to sell compliant hardware, but I do believe they can no longer keep a phone domestically locked if there is no subsidy in place and the Owner requests it.

Robert

But I assume that's why it is a lease. Sprint or whomever is funding this actually is the owner, no?

But I assume that's why it is a lease. Sprint or whomever is funding this actually is the owner, no?

We are only talking about people who purchase the phone.  A leased phone cannot be unlocked.  I don't think anyone would think that it could.

Robert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't new Federal unlock policies prohibit Sprint from domestic locking any longer?  They don't have to sell compliant hardware, but I do believe they can no longer keep a phone domestically locked if there is no subsidy in place and the Owner requests it.

Robert

Their existing unlocking policy still prohibits the device use on domestic operators. Verified it on iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

Also, all third party unlock services point that unlocking Sprint's iPhone won't get it to work on US operators.

Their existing unlocking policy still prohibits the device use on domestic operators. Verified it on iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

Also, all third party unlock services point that unlocking Sprint's iPhone won't get it to work on US operators.

Yes, you are correct.  I just read where Sprint is not promising domestic unlocking on all new phones until February 2015.  Until then, they say they will only unlock domestically in instances where a simple unlock code will allow the device to be used on another domestic network.  They say that the iPhone currently is not capable of being used on another domestic network just by simply unlocking it.

Robert

For eligible devices, Sprint will unlock the SIM slot, to the extent that a device SIM slot is capable of being unlocked. It is important to note that not all devices are capable of being unlocked, often because of the manufacturers' device designs, and that even for those devices capable of being unlocked, not all device functionality may be capable of being unlocked. Specifically, devices manufactured with a SIM slot within the past three years (including, but not limited to, all Apple iPhone devices), cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. In accordance with Sprint's voluntary commitment contained within CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service ("Unlocking Commitment"), Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015, are capable of being unlocked domestically.

I wonder, has anyone ever taken a sprint iphone, before power on and activating, remove the sprint sim and try another domestic carrier sim?

I vaguely remember doing a full factory/network reset with either an iphone 4, or 4s, that my att sim worked fine without even 'unlocking', but I don't know if I am mis-remembering or not.

I wonder, has anyone ever taken a sprint iphone, before power on and activating, remove the sprint sim and try another domestic carrier sim?

I vaguely remember doing a full factory/network reset with either an iphone 4, or 4s, that my att sim worked fine without even 'unlocking', but I don't know if I am mis-remembering or not.

"Unsupported SIM" error.

Haven't seen them since the original att launch.

Sprint wants this. This is absolutely 100% what marcelo and Tim were talking about the 2nd day marcelo was CEO. He wanted good plans to attract customers, and he already knew there was b41 support (which someone said has pretty good rf). I can't want to have all these customers switch to a Triband device.

Can somebody say, a whole new world...1398722378_aladdin-whole-new-world-nigel

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BTW if you're not sure what size to get, Ars has a PDF you can print out to compare the dimensions of the iPhone 5 vs the 6 vs the 6+.  Definitely getting the normal 6.

If you go to versus.com you can compare visually the size of the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus against themselves or any other brand model 

Just enter the models on the top of the page.

TS