AllNet Labs/Fierce Wireless: "How much LTE spectrum do Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile have - and where?"

jamisonshaw125

Hmm, I'll accept that I might be wrong about that.  But, why?  From an engineering perspective that makes zero sense.  What's the purpose of rural B41 deployment?  The only reason I can think of is license protection.

With new 8x8 Mimo antennas its supposed to have similar propagation characteristics of PCS, so it should help those who currently have the ability to receive a B25 signal achieve those crazy speeds if anything. But I could see how licensing reasons could also come into play.

Hmm, I'll accept that I might be wrong about that. But, why? From an engineering perspective that makes zero sense. What's the purpose of rural B41 deployment? The only reason I can think of is license protection.

This is the same exact type reasoning that got senior network executives fired from sprint.

Son wants a ubiquitous band 41 network across the sprint network and more for global roaming and economy of scale. He wants it done and the Jon saw wants it done and so it will be done.

The old sprint of ''why do that it'll do no good for us'' is dead and gone. The new regime installed by son in the past half a year guaranteed that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 16

You're right AJ. I thought I saw a Band 5 10x10 sighting, but was mistaken. It was a Band 4 sighting. They are pairing their low band (Band 5 or 17) with 10x10 of mid-band (Band 2 or 4) for carrier aggregation. But, point as stated earlier is that these maps don't account for that.

This is the same exact type reasoning that got senior network executives fired from sprint.

Son wants a ubiquitous band 41 network across the sprint network and more for global roaming and economy of scale. He wants it done and the Jon saw wants it done and so it will be done.

The old sprint of ''why do that it'll do no good for us'' is dead and gone. The new regime installed by son in the past half a year guaranteed that.

It would be one thing if the Azzi regime could have unloaded a network that would work better than anyone else's in the cities.

That didn't happen either. They got outhit thoroughly on the "ground game" by more disciplined network executives like Neville Ray. While I may call out the Magenta for not having rural coverage on anything better than EDGE, they went to where their customers were. T-Mobile never had rural to lose. They deserve credit for better execution. Now they can make a nice expansion play.

Meanwhile, Sprint has to show the urban customers who got burned that they can actually execute. Not the easiest thing to do, but Sprint has actually done a decent job molding the Clear network into something useable the last few months. It comes down to execution. Sprint needs better execution on urban (restore and speed up!) and rural (expand!).

Fortunately I have faith the new networking people like Steve Bye and John Saw will get it right.

• Like 9

You mean the old regime that was too cheap to reserve their own crews for the build up? That had to scrounge around for crews? The same one that did not want backhaul present at the site before it was rebuilt because it might cost them an additional $300 or so for the month that was there unused? That regime that nickeled and dimed everything and everybody? I hope they are gone forever.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 10

You mean the old regime that was too cheap to reserve their own crews for the build up? That had to scrounge around for crews? The same one that did not want backhaul present at the site before it was rebuilt because it might cost them an additional $300 or so for the month that was there unused? That regime that nickeled and dimed everything and everybody? I hope they are gone forever.

And people say we're shills for Sprint. LOL

Sprint could have had fiber run to EV-DO sites years ago and not been in this predicament. Also, they could be better about getting results out of fiber providers.

Fortunately, this is changing fast.

• Like 1

You mean the old regime that was too cheap to reserve their own crews for the build up. That had to scrounge around for crews. The same one that did not want backhaul present at the site before it was rebuilt because it might cost them an additional $300 or so for the month that was there unused? That regime that nickeled and dimed everything and everybody? I hope they are gone forever.

They didn't start out that way. They were never given proper control of the budget. Sprint was financially tied for years. You make it seem like the network guys had the money, but decided to just sit on it. You know that's not accurate more than anyone. They had to make all kinds of decisions they didn't want to make for the tightest financial reasons. They did the best they could with what they had for years.

The problem with the old guys though is by the time they did get the financial handcuffs removed under SoftBank, they didn't know what to do with the new found financial freedom. But they were so battle hardened and hunkered down in the limiting status quo that it was becoming a problem. They needed someone fresh who could think outside the Old Sprint box to get things moving forward.

Azzi and Elfman also now are likely able to hit the reset button and get on with their careers now getting out of that old guard bunker they have been holed up in all those years. I bet their eyes are open to so much more. It's good for everyone at this point. And with the recent progress, Sprint has really turned a corner. Looks like an excellent move. Onward and upward!

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 13

I found this article to be an interesting read.

http://www.hightechforum.org/low-versus-high-radio-spectrum/

Writer Peter Rysavy and commenter Larry Downes work for think tanks that support and are supported by the duopoly. Their positions have been well documented.  Take anything they write with a grain of salt.

AJ

• Like 1

Writer Peter Rysavy and commenter Larry Downes work for think tanks that support and are supported by the duopoly. Their positions have been well documented. Take anything they write with a grain of salt.

AJ

You know what's really ironic?

Sprint has all the Clearwire spectrum counted now, and proposed that spectrum would be weighted differently, with low band counting more than medium or high.

It sounds like what Larry Downes would want back then. Would he want it now?

You know what's really ironic?

Sprint has all the Clearwire spectrum counted now, and proposed that spectrum would be weighted differently, with low band counting more than medium or high.

It sounds like what Larry Downes would want back then. Would he want it now?

These guys, Downes among them, are inveterate free marketeers.  They want little government regulation and a level playing field for all entrants.  They think that unfettered competition will cause the best to rise to the top, the weak to fall by the wayside, and that is natural economic efficiency.

Of course, they conveniently disregard that the domestic wireless industry has never been a level playing field.  The Twin Bells have always possessed inherent advantages.  Through government intervention, they were given a huge leg up on Cellular 850 MHz spectrum and buildout over 20 years ago.  But to these think tankers, the Twin Bells are on top simply because they are the best.

In short, Downes likely would want all spectrum counted equally.  No high/low weighting scheme.  That so called level playing field would help maintain the inherent advantages that the Twin Bells have inherited or acquired over the past several decades.

AJ

• Like 3