Jump to content

Pitfalls of Carrier Aggregation


bigsnake49
 Share

Recommended Posts

A pretty nice article by Sue Marek on the pitfalls and lessons of Carrier Aggregation:

 

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/lte-advanced-carrier-aggregations-pitfalls-are-few-and-far-between/2014-06-11

 

The main points are that carrier aggregation eats up battery life (I say no more or less than contiguous band of equal MHz), and that in the case of inter band aggregation, the subcarrier assignment to each band. We have talked about both points on this site.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A pretty nice article by Sue Marek on the pitfalls and lessons of Carrier Aggregation:

 

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/lte-advanced-carrier-aggregations-pitfalls-are-few-and-far-between/2014-06-11

 

The main points are that carrier aggregation eats up battery life (I say no more or less than contiguous band of equal MHz), and that in the case of inter band aggregation, the subcarrier assignment to each band. We have talked about both points on this site.

 

You're forgetting the most important part where they're saying these issues can be reduced by proper network optimizations and fine-tuning.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I at one point was very concerned about this, however I think that the race to sleep also has benefits on the network side. In other words, carrier aggregation can provide a better experience. It isn't merely about e-wang whipping. It's about delivering far more capacity. The newer 20 nm network chipsets should be able to deal with 3 carrier aggregation just fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I at one point was very concerned about this, however I think that the race to sleep also has benefits on the network side. In other words, carrier aggregation can provide a better experience. It isn't merely about e-wang whipping. It's about delivering far more capacity. The newer 20 nm network chipsets should be able to deal with 3 carrier aggregation just fine.

what chip set is currently being used? Why wouldn't the 3 or 4 different companies (samsung etc.) be installing them from the start of nv?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

what chip set is currently being used? Why wouldn't the 3 or 4 different companies (samsung etc.) be installing them from the start of nv?

Because Qualcomm has the best overall performance and RF package, not to mention they support legacy CDMA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because Qualcomm has the best overall performance and RF package, not to mention they support legacy CDMA.

They have 64% of the market by revenue with the rest of them splitting the 36%.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

what chip set is currently being used? Why wouldn't the 3 or 4 different companies (samsung etc.) be installing them from the start of nv?

I'm talking of handsets.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...