Picture of Sprint's LTE footprint once NV rolled out

@saschasegan posted a picture of what sprint's LTE network footprint will look like once NV is fully rolled out in 2014. Doesn't say where he got it from. Looks like some kind of presentation. Anyway thought it was interesting.

https://twitter.com/...0/photo/1/large

Here's the link to the pic.

https://p.twimg.com/...E4USN.jpg:large

• Like 2

LTE roaming? Didn't know there was such a thing? Maybe it is just voice. Either way, that is an interesting pic and judging from what I see for maps in here, it looks like it might be accurate.

Two things...

1. AJ and I will be talking about Sprint LTE roaming in future articles. Stay tuned for that. ;)

2. This map looks legit to me. But it looks like it includes 800 LTE.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1

interesting map there....looks kinda crapy to me to be honest. imho

Looks more like a Nextel Map basically with a tad more filler...

The misconception I tend to run into is that Sprint on their own site, do not show Roaming coverage really on the big US map. They include the roaming areas in their coverage area like normal. This is the case at least when you are zoomed out to show the whole US. When you zoom in it shows roaming...nice trick sprint. lol :)

A better map is here http://www.cellularmaps.com/net_compare.shtml#Sprint

With that map above i linked, the LTE coverage area kinda makes sense then...

• Like 1

Two things... 1. AJ and I will be talking about Sprint LTE roaming in future articles. Stay tuned for that. ;) 2. This map looks legit to me. But it looks like it includes 800 LTE. Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

in regards to 800LTE...the more I look at the maps on http://www.cellularmaps.com/net_compare.shtml#Sprint versus the LTE map linked https://p.twimg.com/ApJ-y1XCMAE4USN.jpg:large the more it looks like a mesh of the two. Really when you look at the Nextel and Sprint maps there are few areas that they dont overlap so kinda tough to say if it does or doesn't include 800LTE, no?

I say that b/c based on the Nextel map the LTE map is missing a small section of coverage in North Dakota that stretches vertical on the map. At the same time there is a giant hole in the LTE map on the West part of Kansas that is clearly blanketed on the Sprint network map I linked...

In regards to roaming the guy doesn't say LTE roaming on twitter really, just that sprint phones will work in those areas...I look forward to the LTE roaming article btw Robert and AJ.

In regards to roaming the guy doesn't say LTE roaming on twitter really, just that sprint phones will work in those areas.

The gray areas on the map are denoted as "Roaming Coverage" in the key in the upper right.

1. 800 LTE is not, I repeat, is not going on any iDEN towers. It is only going on CDMA sites. The iDEN network is fully being decommissioned. And the 800 spectrum is moving over to NV sites.

2. While the map references roaming, it is probably not LTE roaming in all the blue areas. However, S4GRU does have a story on Sprint LTE roaming planned.

1. 800 LTE is not, I repeat, is not going on any iDEN towers. It is only going on CDMA sites. The iDEN network is fully being decommissioned. And the 800 spectrum is moving over to NV sites.

you mean any current "IDEN ONLY" towers right?

The gray areas on the map are denoted as "Roaming Coverage" in the key in the upper right.

your right. missed that...odd none the less...seems it matches up with voice/data roaming so maybe thats a confusion not noted on the map?......maybe

your right. missed that...odd none the less...seems it matches up with voice/data roaming so maybe thats a confusion not noted on the map?......maybe

It has to be, I doubt those areas will be covered by LTE by anyone for quite some time...

Are you referring to co-located sites? Obviously they are not removing CDMA off a co-located site. Just the Nextel iDEN would be removed then.

But Sprint and Nextel are not co-located very often. Its one of the biggest reasons for NV is that completely separate network was killing them in costs.

It has to be, I doubt those areas will be covered by LTE by anyone for quite some time...

yeah agreed, even checking VZ's LTE network map they dont even show a actual coverage map just a lil dot noting the city. lol

Has to be for voice/data roaming and they forgot to notate that on the map.

Are you referring to co-located sites? Obviously they are not removing CDMA off a co-located site. Just the Nextel iDEN would be removed then.

But Sprint and Nextel are not co-located very often. Its one of the biggest reasons for NV is that completely separate network was killing them in costs.

yeah. like when you say no iDEN towers are getting LTE, id imagine that not be the case for towers that have iDEN and Sprint on them currently, right?....otherwise the # of sites decommissioned would be larger no?

yeah agreed, even checking VZ's LTE network map they dont even show a actual coverage map just a lil dot noting the city. lol

Has to be for voice/data roaming and they forgot to notate that on the map.

I think 5G will be used before we hear the announcement "LTE now covering the entire state of Montana"

• Like 1

yeah. like when you say no iDEN towers are getting LTE' date=' id imagine that not be the case for towers that have iDEN and Sprint on them currently, right?....otherwise the # of sites decommissioned would be larger no?[/quote']

Yes. But what's your point? My point is 800 LTE is not going on iDEN sites. And if you want to add a caveat that it is going on a small handful of sites that iDEN and CDMA are co-located then I can accept that.

However, when it comes to iDEN only sites in non Sprint coverage areas, and there are thousands of them, they will not be getting LTE 800 from Sprint. And that is the point of what started this sidetrack, no?

Yes. But what's your point? My point is 800 LTE is not going on iDEN sites. And if you want to add a caveat that it is going on a small handful of sites that iDEN and CDMA are co-located then I can accept that.

However, when it comes to iDEN only sites in non Sprint coverage areas, and there are thousands of them, they will not be getting LTE 800 from Sprint. And that is the point of what started this sidetrack, no?

Gotcha. I assumed they overlaped more often then I guess they do. I guess it came up to me currently b/c i was looking at the Nextel map and seeing the coverage overlap with Sprint I assumed they would be co-located in most tower locations. giant assumption by me. lol duh

and your right it really doesn't matter. when I first read it I took it as if they were co-located then the tower wouldn't get it...been a long morning here already for me. lets just forget i even brought it up in the first place as it was nonsense looking back on it. lol

iDEN only sites won't be getting CDMA voice either though, correct? The entire site will be decommissioned is how I understand it.

It is amazing to consider how many Nextel sites are near Sprint sites and not co-located. For instance, there is one here in Cuyamungue, NM where there are three boomer towers in a row, each over 300' tall. One has Tmo only. Another has Sprint, Cricket and the remnants of Alltel. The third has ATT, VZW and Nextel.

That happens quite a lot where Nextel is near Sprint CDMA, but on a separate site. Very expensive.

• Like 1

iDEN only sites won't be getting CDMA voice either though' date=' correct? The entire site will be decommissioned is how I understand it.[/quote']

That's correct. iDEN only sites are being decommissioned in their entirety.

yeah I question that map just b/c the whole West(left) side of Kansas is blank there...while Sprint's coverage map clearly shows that spot blanketed with Sprint(not iDEN) coverage...are they really decommissioning towers there making it roaming area, or not putting Network Vision upgrades on that section?

That's correct. iDEN only sites are being decommissioned in their entirety.

So the nextel merger was a huge financial drain to Sprint as we all know. So let's at least use the infrastructure that we overpaid for in the beginning to thicken coverage and provide a better service to our existing and potential future customers, right? No, we'll just shut it all down. Makes sense.

Sorry for the negative post, but this decision really does bother me, especially when I read that Mr. Hesse got a 31% pay increase.

Ok, back to being positive.

• Like 3

yeah...but when your the only one on the tower who needs 4G? jkjk

Or, when you live in Montana, are you really interested in 4G? Or just the next rodeo?

Apoligise in advance for any mad Montanians. I would be too busy hunting all the time to care about 4G if I lived in Montana.

• Like 1