Sprints 'Happy Connecting' Event

JThorson

Tmobile has been exicuting on their plans quite well and are currently being rewarded in the market place for it. It maybe because they have an exit strategy (being bought out) but the subscriber numbers are impressive given it is a maturing industry. Att has just announced that it expects zero growth in profits in its mobile unit and this is largely do to the impact of tmobile. On the other hand Sprint has missed every network milestone they set for themselves (what ever the cause) and they haven't been as aggressive on price as many had hoped after the Softbank merger. Here again the subscriber numbers tell the story. There is now a real question as to weather Sprint can turn this around without a T-Mobile merger is a real open question. I don't think they can with in the next 4 years at least and even then what well their competition look like, what real advantage does an independent Sprint have in 2019? I don't see one.

• Like 1

Tmobile has been exicuting on their plans quite well and are currently being rewarded in the market place for it. It maybe because they have an exit strategy (being bought out) but the subscriber numbers are impressive given it is a maturing industry. Att has just announced that it expects zero growth in profits in its mobile unit and this is largely do to the impact of tmobile. On the other hand Sprint has missed every network milestone they set for themselves (what ever the cause) and they haven't been as aggressive on price as many had hoped after the Softbank merger. Here again the subscriber numbers tell the story. There is now a real question as to weather Sprint can turn this around without a T-Mobile merger is a real open question. I don't think they can with in the next 4 years at least and even then what well their competition look like, what real advantage does an independent Sprint have in 2019? I don't see one.

Your points about Tmo are accurate.  I don't take any exception to them.  But Tmo has turned around in very short order.  Tmo is a great example of why Sprint isn't doomed.  People nowadays are not very loyal to a brand.  Otherwise, they never would have flocked to Tmo in the first place.

If Sprint can differentiate itself and provide an attractive network at a better price, it has every chance.  Tmo still has a very negative image to many people.  But they are chipping away at that fast.  The past Sprint couldn't do it.  But tomorrow is a very different day.

Robert

• Like 8

According to tmonews speed test.net app doesn't count against the cap either.

With all of the free streaming audio and speed test data, plus all of the sheeple piling on to T-Mobile's now trendy network, let us hope its average data "sound" like this...

AJ

With all of the free streaming audio and speed test data, plus all of the sheeple piling on to T-Mobile's now trendy network, let us hope its average data "sound" like this...

AJ

Don't forget about that iPhone Test Drive program. If I was seriously looking to test out a network, I'd abuse the hell out of it with a no-strings attached iPhone 5S (that's capable of pulling down an insane amount of data in a short amount of time due to how easy it is to use OOTB).

Don't forget about that iPhone Test Drive program. If I was seriously looking to test out a network, I'd abuse the hell out of it with a no-strings attached iPhone 5S (that's capable of pulling down an insane amount of data in a short amount of time due to how easy it is to use OOTB).

I was thinking about doing that actually. I know it isn't nice but  :devil:

On a side note, one thing I found interesting is since I live my T-Mobile you think the network would be decent around here, but when my sister came up who has them, she said she had bad service. I just laughed.

I guess it makes sense that there are TMO sites out there that cheerlead for TMO like we do for Sprint... But seeing that site buried with ads makes me happy to contribute money to S4GRU for a cleaner experience.

So, THANK YOU, Robert!

• Like 11

The additional rural New Mexico HSPA+ sites are on old backhaul though.  They run between 100kbps to 1.4Mbps.  Not brag worthy.  More like Circa 2008 3G.   :lol:

Robert

Don't worry - as soon as Sprint gets upgraded backhaul into the same areas, T-Mobile will also get the new fiber backhaul.

Sprint deals with 2 years of nightmares waiting for backhaul - T-Mobile gets it a few weeks after.

I was thinking about it the other day - the only way T-Mobile is going to be able to upgrade backhaul so fast is because they are likely using the same backhaul vendors that have already spent months and months establishing new fiber links to rural towers for Sprint.

Don't worry - as soon as Sprint gets upgraded backhaul into the same areas, T-Mobile will also get the new fiber backhaul.

Sprint deals with 2 years of nightmares waiting for backhaul - T-Mobile gets it a few weeks after.

I was thinking about it the other day - the only way T-Mobile is going to be able to upgrade backhaul so fast is because they are likely using the same backhaul vendors that have already spent months and months establishing new fiber links to rural towers for Sprint.

Most of these new rural HSPA+ sites in New Mexico are not colocated with Sprint. However, your main point is valid. Tmo will certainly benefit from many of the rural fiber site connections Sprint has already established.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

While I certainly think TMO will have faster access to backhaul because of Sprint's rural efforts, it doesn't necessarily mean that extra unused fiber was installed everywhere for TMO or anyone else to have easy access to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Most of these new rural HSPA+ sites in New Mexico are not colocated with Sprint. However, your main point is valid. Tmo will certainly benefit from many of the rural fiber site connections Sprint has already established.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

if this were actually the case, Wouldn't the connections vzw and att established have helped sprint because it doesn't seem like it did. Separate fiber runs were made at many of the sites where every other carrier had 4g broadcasting. But we'll just have to wait and see

if this were actually the case, Wouldn't the connections vzw and att established have helped sprint because it doesn't seem like it did. Separate fiber runs were made at many of the sites where every other carrier had 4g broadcasting. But we'll just have to wait and see

I can't speak of everywhere, but at least within the subject of New Mexico like we were talking, Verizon and AT&T are often not colocated with Sprint/Tmo.  And all the instances where VZW and Sprint were colocated in rural areas, VZW used microwave.  VZW used A LOT of microwave in New Mexico.

Robert

Yes, if Sprint was using the same backhaul provider in that market, and I'm sure they've benefited from this on some occasions. However, in some cases AT&T and Verizon are running their own fiber to their own sites.

• Like 1

qedamapy.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Most of this thread has been about off topic crap.  Especially John Legere and Tmo, which has nothing to do with the event on Monday.   :wall:

Robert

• Like 3

Most of this thread has been about off topic crap.  Especially John Legere and Tmo, which has nothing to do with the event on Monday.   :wall:

I can understand the "un/happy connection," though.  The T-Mobile event and Sprint event are taking place within a short time of one another, so people are bound to compare and contrast.

AJ

I can understand the "un/happy connection," though.  The T-Mobile event and Sprint event are taking place within a short time of one another, so people are bound to compare and contrast.

AJ

SNL_0808_Coffee_Talk_EST.png

• Like 1

SNL_0808_Coffee_Talk_EST.png

Robert is a little verklempt.  Talk amongst yourselves.  Here, I'll give you a topic.  The Sprint "Happy Connecting" Event will be neither "happy" nor "connecting."  Discuss...

AJ

• Like 3

To try and help get this a little back on topic... does anyone think with the event on Monday that Sprint will try to counteract the news T-Mobile just announced or do you think they will focus solely on themselves? I am really hoping they just talk about what they are doing and where they are headed, I would rather not hear anything about comparing themselves to other carriers.

To try and help get this a little back on topic... does anyone think with the event on Monday that Sprint will try to counteract the news T-Mobile just announced or do you think they will focus solely on themselves? I am really hoping they just talk about what they are doing and where they are headed, I would rather not hear anything about comparing themselves to other carriers.

I'd like to see them introduce some new perk to having Framily, like including the $15/mo international talk and text plan into our Framily service.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to see them introduce some new perk to having Framily, like including the $15/mo international talk and text plan into our Framily service.

Although I am always a bargain hunter, I think the price of a maxed out Framily plan is as cheap as they should go. It's practically as steal as it is. 

Although I am always a bargain hunter, I think the price of a maxed out Framily plan is as cheap as they should go. It's practically as steal as it is.

Agreed. The price is awesome! But that international plan is pricey. They could at least include the texting for free and charge $10/mo for the calling. I'd also like to see cheaper roaming rates in certain countries, like Canada.

Agreed. The price is awesome! But that international plan is pricey. They could at least include the texting for free and charge $10/mo for the calling. I'd also like to see cheaper roaming rates in certain countries, like Canada.

I think having cheaper roaming rates would be awesome, I wonder if they could work out a deal to have free roaming in all of North America. I know that would never happen but that would be cool and I believe that would attract a lot of new customers.

• Like 1

I think having cheaper roaming rates would be awesome, I wonder if they could work out a deal to have free roaming in all of North America. I know that would never happen but that would be cool and I believe that would attract a lot of new customers.

Well maybe theyll announce the end of roaming and drastically revise our prls to remove costly partners like verizon

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4