Sprints 'Happy Connecting' Event

JThorson

This just is a ridiculous thing to say. Sprint is achieving what it set out to do. It's just taking it longer than they planned. NV2.0 is going faster than planned even.

I get why you're not happy with Sprint, but you can't say Sprint doesn't do what they set out to do. Don't give up your credibility so easily with a false and extreme comment.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid you just said what I did.

Ok then, I'll change it to T-Mobile achieves what they set out to do in their realistic schedule and doesn't over promise. Which is why I feel that its best to have a 4th carrier that seems to be improving. Sprint seems to over promise and under deliver.

I can have an opinion, don't start the insults please. I didn't use any sexual innuendos either, which is becoming common on here.

I didn't use any sexual innuendos either, which is becoming common on here.

No, you did not. That is left to John Legere and his penchant for the word "fuck."

AJ

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459681,00.asp

Lots of tidbits about T-Mobile's strategy and weaknesses here. 

Some people say T-Mobile's rural coverage doesn't matter, but that's disingenuous to say when T-Mobile's own CTO and vice president of radio engineering acknowledge that it's an issue with their network.

The way that read is that they are thinking ahead and preparing to go at it on there own with a strategy that works for them. Which is good I like it. I also like where sprint will be at the end of next year once most work is done. Tmobile marketing has a lot more solid network to play with from a metropolitan perspective. Sprint has a potentially huge national play with proper execution.

The way that read is that they are thinking ahead and preparing to go at it on there own with a strategy that works for them. Which is good I like it. I also like where sprint will be at the end of next year once most work is done. Tmobile marketing has a lot more solid network to play with from a metropolitan perspective. Sprint has a potentially huge national play with proper execution.

That has yet to be determined but John Saws new regime looks to be in much better shape than ever.

• Like 2

Ok then, I'll change it to T-Mobile achieves what they set out to do in their realistic schedule and doesn't over promise. Which is why I feel that its best to have a 4th carrier that seems to be improving. Sprint seems to over promise and under deliver.

I can have an opinion, don't start the insults please. I didn't use any sexual innuendos either, which is becoming common on here.

Read what I wrote to Robert. T-Mobile didn't have to rebuild their entire network. It's two T-Mobile networks my friend.

One for the 230 million covered by LTE. One for the other 55 million covered by EDGE. Also, how is T-Mobile going to quickly modernize when most of their rural sites have to be fiber backhauled by the duopoly. They're going to take longer than you think.

Sprint already has most of their rural backhaul done. Fiber. Done.

Go to a rural T-Mobile market where you find a rotting Nokia Ultrasite giving EDGE to 5-6 rural customers at 50-60 Kbps. Then get back to me.

• Like 3

That has yet to be determined but John Saws new regime looks to be in much better shape than ever.

I'll be a slight optimist here. As just judging from my own markets teething issues to resolutions I can see progress. But anyone with triband devices WILL FEEL PAIN! It's the long game with sprint. Just hope the current executives have the patience to see it through. Money is not finite, nor is good will.
  • Like 1

I really -want- tmo to walk the walk they are talking and promising and deliver....profitably. So I can become a customer? No. But I get it. The marketing strategy is working. The last thing I want written into telecom history is that tmo ate the "turd" that was sprint and suffers indelibly for years because of it. Id like to see their current trajectory take them there alone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There's no doubt that both Sprint and T-Mobile can go it alone. With the upcoming 600Mhz and the other sub 1GHz holdings that bothe have and the roaming on rural partners they might even have true nationwide coverage. They can both survive but neither will thrive. The capex required to have a truly nationwide network is mind boggling and it is much better to spread it over a much larger customer base. Could they merge their networks and realize the economies of scale. Sure and they should have done it 3 years ago. But DT wants out of this market because it realizes that it can't truly compete in this market with the big two. Could they sell T-mobile USA to Dish? Absolutely!!! Can Dish afford it and will the banks finance it? I am doubtful.

You can have an opinion. Sure. But if your opinion is that Sprint doesn't do what it sets out to do (in regards to Network Vision), then you're wrong. It neither stopped doing that or failed doing that. It's just slower than you'd like.

You and everyone else can expect to be vigorously challenged when you say something untrue about Sprint at a Sprint themed site. It would be an opinion to say you like Tmo better. That's fine. But if you say Sprint is or is not doing something, that is beyond an opinion. You are trying to establish a fact.

I also never insulted you. I said you should not give up your credibility by making untrue statements.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

You can have an opinion. Sure. But if your opinion is that Sprint doesn't do what it sets out to do (in regards to Network Vision), then you're wrong. It neither stopped doing that or failed doing that. It's just slower than you'd like.

You and everyone else can expect to be vigorously challenged when you say something untrue about Sprint at a Sprint themed site. It would be an opinion to say you like Tmo better. That's fine. But if you say Sprint is or is not doing something, that is beyond an opinion. You are trying to establish a fact.

I also never insulted you. I said you should not give up your credibility by making untrue statements.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Sprint set out to cover 250 million POPs with LTE by the end of 2013. They only reached 80% of that number. We all know that there are numerous reasons for this, many of which are outside of their control, but they still did not do what they set out to do.

Hopefully the event on the 23rd has something to do with their more recent ambition to reach 250 million POPs by mid-year. We know they were well on track with 225 million in April. I just hope they don't pad the numbers with their alliance partners like T-Mobile padded their customer gain numbers with MetroPCS.

• Like 2

Sprint set out to cover 250 million POPs with LTE by the end of 2013. They only reached 80% of that number. We all know that there are numerous reasons for this, many of which are outside of their control, but they still did not do what they set out to do.

Hopefully the event on the 23rd has something to do with their more recent ambition to reach 250 million POPs by mid-year. We know they were well on track with 225 million in April. I just hope they don't pad the numbers with their alliance partners like T-Mobile padded their customer gain numbers with MetroPCS.

Your point is valid.  He said Tmo does what it sets out to do, but Sprint doesn't.  My argument back to him is that they do, but not as fast as he'd like.  You have backed up my point that they are doing what they set out do, but not as fast as they originally planned.  Thank you for the illustration.

I too hope they don't try smoke and mirrors.  They need to just stick to the facts, point out their roadmap to achieve and deliver.  Sprint is delivering more and more every month.  The ship is getting righted.  All those saying that Masa and John Saw will fail to deliver because Hesse/Azzi messed up the first half of NV is not really looking at the situation in the right context.  

Masa is going to fire the failing executives as needed and keep marching forward.  The 8T8R development has been solid.  And this is the first sign of the new Masa/Saw leadership.

Robert

• Like 1

Your point is valid.  He said Tmo does what it sets out to do, but Sprint doesn't.  My argument back to him is that they do, but not as fast as he'd like.  You have backed up my point that they are doing what they set out do, but not as fast as they originally planned.  Thank you for the illustration.

I too hope they don't try smoke and mirrors.  They need to just stick to the facts, point out their roadmap to achieve and deliver.  Sprint is delivering more and more every month.  The ship is getting righted.  All those saying that Masa and John Saw will fail to deliver because Hesse/Azzi messed up the first half of NV is not really looking at the situation in the right context.  

Masa is going to fire the failing executives as needed and keep marching forward.  The 8T8R development has been solid.  And this is the first sign of the new Masa/Saw leadership.

Robert

The bigger the ship, the longer it takes to turn it around.  Sprint's future is pretty bright, and the fruits of NV labor is showing more each day. B26 is lighting up every day. Before long it will be hard to outrun a Sprint signal (within the stated coverage area).

• Like 7

A key difference with T-Mobile seems to be that it puts forth a timeline only when what it "sets out to do" is relatively easy, such as overlaying LTE on its existing advanced backhaul footprint.  When what it "sets out to do" is more difficult, such as deploying advanced backhaul and W-CDMA to its entire footprint, T-Mobile is mum -- while the process drags on for nearly a decade.

AJ

• Like 2

A key difference with T-Mobile seems to be that it puts forth a timeline only when what it "sets out to do" is relatively easy, such as overlaying LTE on its existing advanced backhaul footprint. When what it "sets out to do" is more difficult, such as deploying advanced backhaul and W-CDMA to its entire footprint, T-Mobile is mum -- while the process drags on for nearly a decade.

AJ

Here's another statement: the T-Mobile rural conversions will be slow for the same reason Sprint had a slow deployment. T-Mobile is going to have to get fiber and microwave out to rural areas. Not an easy process by any stretch.

Then there's the matter of these babies, the old Nokia Ultrasites. Those have to be replaced.

egy2y4em.jpg

Finally T-Mobile is loaded to its eyeballs in debt. Not such an easy task to deliver on. They're going to get to feel a lot of the same deployment pain Sprint has felt over their entire system.

• Like 1

Then there's the matter of these babies, the old Nokia Ultrasites. Those have to be replaced.

What a decade ago was "ultra" is now "ugh" to downright "fugly."

AJ

• Like 2

A key difference with T-Mobile seems to be that it puts forth a timeline only when what it "sets out to do" is relatively easy, such as overlaying LTE on its existing advanced backhaul footprint.  When what it "sets out to do" is more difficult, such as deploying advanced backhaul and W-CDMA to its entire footprint, T-Mobile is mum -- while the process drags on for nearly a decade.

AJ

What I can see happening with this though is while T-Mobile will be mum about this process of deploying advanced backhaul and other more difficult tasks, people will still idolize them for a long time because they are T-Mobile. It is easier for people to bash on Sprint because of their difficult past and how things were previously handled. 

I can't wait for the day where people will eat their words and praise how great Sprint is.

I can't wait for the day where people will eat their words and praise how great Sprint is.

That day will come when they are rebranded as "Softbank USA", the "new" carrier that's taking the United States of America by storm with cheap, fast LTE coverage that rivals Verizon.

• Like 5

Another thing that'll make it easier for Sprint to rebrand is their lack of carrier branding on devices. The only way most would know I am on Sprint is because of the screen when I turn my phone on and the Spark logo in the notification bar when I am on LTE. Sprint could easily change the start up screen on devices to say "Softbank USA" through a software update.

• Like 2

AJ

The big test will be when T-Mobile upgrades all those pesky edge sites.  T-Mobile has been anything but mum on deploying advanced backhaul/LTE to its entire footprint.  T-Mobile will probably just buy backhaul from all the vendors that Sprint did, and now that it is already there, they'll be able to hook it up rather quickly.

Targets to watch:

• T-Mobile to expand LTE to entire EDGE network by mid-2015
  • T-Mobile's LTE network currently covers 210 million POPs, and the company has previously said it plans to increase that to 230 million by mid-year and 250 million by the end of 2014.

Source:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobile-takes-verizon-lte-advertising-and-network-battle/2014-03-14

T-Mobile has a goal to cover 250 million people by the end of the year, but Ray said he wants to push it to 280 million sometime next year.

Source:

http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobiles-tech-chief-i-want-to-decimate-verizons-map-ad-campaign/

VOLTE coverage - 100 million by years end

source tmonews

Apparently, Robert's old stomping ground is already being upgraded:

“Hi! I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and make the 250 mile drive down south to Las Cruces, New Mexico about once a month. For the last 6 years I would be stuck on 2G all the way down I-25, (the only road there, check it out) but now I am starting to see HSPA+ for at least 100 miles! Sensorly.com is showing it around Socorro right now, which is pretty awesome.

At the same time, I drive north on the 550 to Farmington, New Mexico once a month, and exactly the same thing is happening on that road!”

Source:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/06/t-mobile-2g-upgrade-to-4g-network-seemingly-well-underway/

I find it amusing how other carriers fanboys would laugh and point fingers at Sprints GMO setups and then applaud T-mobile for doing the same thing to expand coverage to rural areas. 

• Like 3

I find it amusing how other carriers fanboys would laugh and point fingers at Sprints GMO setups and then applaud T-mobile for doing the same thing to expand coverage to rural areas.

I wouldn't have any problems with Sprint's GMO setups if they also had ordered backhaul and LTE for them too. In eastern Iowa, GMOs mean crappy 3g for a long time still.
  • Like 2

Apparently, Robert's old stomping ground is already being upgraded:

Source:

http://www.tmonews.com/2014/06/t-mobile-2g-upgrade-to-4g-network-seemingly-well-underway/

The additional rural New Mexico HSPA+ sites are on old backhaul though.  They run between 100kbps to 1.4Mbps.  Not brag worthy.  More like Circa 2008 3G.   :lol:

Robert

• Like 2

Targets to watch:

• T-Mobile to expand LTE to entire EDGE network by mid-2015
  • T-Mobile's LTE network currently covers 210 million POPs, and the company has previously said it plans to increase that to 230 million by mid-year and 250 million by the end of 2014.

VOLTE coverage - 100 million by years end

Two out of three have already been met. 107 million pops covered with VoLTE ~ 6 months early, and 230+ million covered with LTE by the end of June: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/issues-insights-blog/the-un-carrier-network-designed-data-strong.htm

For the third one we'll have to wait till mid 2015.

• Like 1

The Uncarrier 6.0 Net Neutrality mess?

Reading the comments following The Verge article, I am getting nauseated.  Too many wishful or just ignorant people think that capped or throttled mobile data is a conspiracy against them.  Yeah, as if the mobile networks can sustain them using the shit out of "unlimited" data.  And that is what they want to do.

Additionally, the rationale that excluding audio streaming traffic from data quotas is okay because T-Mobile is not receiving compensation from third parties is irrelevant.  It is still an affront to Net Neutrality.  For example, what if I never stream audio over the mobile network?  Why should someone else's streaming audio get a free pass while my e-mail, Web, streaming video, and app traffic count against my quota?

Once again, so many are just mindlessly happy that T-Mobile is playing Santa Claus.  Bah humbug!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/5822996/t-mobile-music-freedom-net-neutrality

AJ

• Like 7