Masayoshi Son says America doesn't know how bad its internet speed is.

MrZorbatron

oh hey should we talk about the modem "rental" fee as well??

who else has this $8 a mth......go buy one and its paid for in 9 mths...

should be free for using their already overpriced service....

Google has a Video Quality Report that you can view how well your broadband/provider stacks up.

I'm with Charter Communications in St. Louis, and we're the only HD Verified entity in town: http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

Word on the street is that by the end of June, all 30/6 users will get upgraded for free to 100/10 because they've gone full fiber.

It's 30/4 going to 60/4. There is no 30/6 plan as far as I know. Also they're not converting to fiber, they're just shutting off the analog channel broadcasts to free up more room for digital signals.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier TWC in NYC is boosting their speeds as FiOS is making their move in areas like Astoria. 

Standard 10/1 50/5
Turbo 20/2 100/10
Extreme 30/5 200/20
Ultimate 50/5 300/20

I've made a move to FiOS because of their higher uploads, lower latency, and much, much better picture quality comparing to cable providers. They're also known to put some major "fluff" on their advertised upload speeds, so my 50/25 connection is really 50/39. That's as close to symmetrical as it gets here, at least in consumer marketplace. 

75/35 is really 85/39. 150/65 is more like 160/80Mbps, etc... They also offer 300Mbps and 500Mbps tiers, which aren't very affordable, but readily available for those that may need them.

So what Masa is really doing here is using car salesman or infomercial approach to create, blow up the problem, make fun of americans, then introduce himself as an external solution to all of our problems... of course if the government allows him to buy a direct competitor, even though he owns a massive amount of spectrum and cash already with Sprint. 

In the process, he also tries to divert this whole acquisition by blaming wireline industry, etc...

This all is very laughable to me, but it'll most likely work.

Optimum offers 101/35 for $55. And speeds are always greater than advertised for me. That's a great deal from a cable provider of you ask me.

And that's the issue I have with TWC. RCN and Optimum offer so much, but Time Warner doesn't.

And neither RCN or Optimum are available in Woodside.

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier TWC in NYC is boosting their speeds as FiOS is making their move in areas like Astoria.

Milan, the New York City metro is not representative of "America."  If anything, it is an anomaly.  So, your example is of limited relevance.

Get out of the city more often.  Travel the country, both urban and rural.  In most places, the wired broadband speeds you cite are not available.  In many cases, the best options available are not evenly remotely comparable.

AJ

• Like 2

oh hey should we talk about the modem "rental" fee as well??

who else has this $8 a mth......go buy one and its paid for in 9 mths...

should be free for using their already overpriced service....

That too!

I was debating on buying an approved modem off Amazon or something.

Twc cable is upgrading their service here in New York city to something called maxx.I live in Manhattan uptown and my service has been upgraded from the mediocre standard internet 15/1 to 100/10 $57.They are upgrading all the Hubs one at the time. Some of my friends in Astoria

Old plans new plans

Low tier 2/1 3/1

Basic 3/1 10/1

Standard 10/1 50/5

Turbo 20/2 100/10

Extreme 30/5 200/20

Ultimate 50/5 300/20

Anyone that wants the ultimate 200/20 or ultimate 300/20 needs a 16 channels bonded modem.

The prices will stay the same but you will be upgraded automatically to the new speeds.

Interesting, I wonder if I can call Time Warner and talk to them over the phone to see if they are offering this in Woodside.

Milan, the New York City metro is not representative of "America."  If anything, it is an anomaly.  So, your example is of limited relevance.

Get out of the city more often.  Travel the country, both urban and rural.  In most places, the wired broadband speeds you cite in are not available.  In many cases, the best options available are not evenly remotely comparable.

AJ

No doubt, but at the same token I doubt that Masa has been experiencing "terrible" Comcast speeds in his Silicon Valley home like he wants us to believe... 

Interesting, I wonder if I can call Time Warner and talk to them over the phone to see if they are offering this in Woodside.

No doubt, but at the same token I doubt that Masa has been experiencing "terrible" Comcast speeds in his Silicon Valley home like he wants us to believe... 

Woodside?  I guess Deval is moving cross country and taking up residence next to Son.

;)

AJ

Milan, the New York City metro is not representative of "America." If anything, it is an anomaly. So, your example is of limited relevance.

Get out of the city more often. Travel the country, both urban and rural. In most places, the wired broadband speeds you cite are not available. In many cases, the best options available are not evenly remotely comparable.

AJ

This.

I live in an area where I have ONE landline choice for broadband. There's no telco DSL here. Cable is it. I also have one LTE choice. That's Verizon. That could change when AT&T finishes Alltel conversion here, but their plans for rural broadband are both similar and horribly capped.

Furthermore that also ignores the Red States who are in even worse broadband straights than I am here in beautiful Chester, Illinois.

Verizon dumped their landlines onto Frontier here so they could sell capped broadband over LTE, which is not that different than what Masa Son is wanting to do. It's also noted that AT&T has set similar plans in place for where they plan to decommission the rural POTS networks they possess. Is SoftBank's plan that different? I would posit that it is not, but it is to be noted that AT&T and Verizon are heading down the same rabbit hole as Masa already.

Come visit and we'll show you. We'd love to have you here for southern Illinois hospitality and barbecue. Go Salukis!

Woodside?  I guess Deval is moving cross country and taking up residence next to Son.

;)

AJ

Pretty sure he's talking about Woodside, Queens  ;)

Have you not seen the photo of Dan and Deval?  He has Sprint connections all the way to the top.  Who knows, maybe Deval is moving into Son's guesthouse in Woodside?

;)

AJ

75 for 20/2 w TWC. The other option is the local Phone co-op. Which is just a sales front for AT&T. In fact, last I checked, T was not happy that the other 3 have LTE in my our market (Myrtle Beach) and they do not yet. So needless to say T started lighting em up last week.

So yeah some competition would be great.

It's 30/4 going to 60/4. There is no 30/6 plan as far as I know. Also they're not converting to fiber, they're just shutting off the analog channel broadcasts to free up more room for digital signals.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ah, that makes more sense. It must be the 50Mbps people getting doubled to the 100. I'm only paying for the 30/4 plan.

;)

AJ

Woodside, NY my friend ;)

I would love to live in CA though.

Have you not seen the photo of Dan and Deval?  He has Sprint connections all the way to the top.  Who knows, maybe Deval is moving into Son's guesthouse in Woodside?

;)

AJ

:D

That would be awesome!

Yes sir, I'm cashing in my Jersey card, for a year or two.

I really am hoping Verizon can get into my building. They provide service to the apartment building right across the street from mine, and to all the private houses on my block.

Yes sir, I'm cashing in my Jersey card, for a year or two.

I really am hoping Verizon can get into my building. They provide service to the apartment building right across the street from mine, and to all the private houses on my block.

"Holding it down"  Hope Sprint is flexible with your move, and Welcome to the Spark network in NYC.  If VZW is prude on installing fiber to your unit poke back up the chain.  IF you really can't get anywhere with them PM me and I can help you solve this.  

-William

"Holding it down"  Hope Sprint is flexible with your move, and Welcome to the Spark network in NYC.  If VZW is prude on installing fiber to your unit poke back up the chain.  IF you really can't get anywhere with them PM me and I can help you solve this.  

-William

Yep, well I work in NYC as it is, so this is just moving from Jersey to NYC. 

Spark is beautiful in Manhattan, I've seen peaks of 75mbps on my M8.

My biggest issue with rental buildings is getting someone to talk to Verizon and get it in the door. 

Yep, well I work in NYC as it is, so this is just moving from Jersey to NYC. 

Spark is beautiful in Manhattan, I've seen peaks of 75mbps on my M8.

My biggest issue with rental buildings is getting someone to talk to Verizon and get it in the door.

If they give you grief and ultimately deny you shoot me a PM. Im 99.9% sure I could get you hookeup up.