Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

AJ, I get all that. The problem is that we're too small a sample size to care about. Most Sprint users don't know, and don't care.

The thing I find amazing is that choices made over a decade - almost 20 years ago - still have such a large bearing in the US mobile industry.

I don't think a Sprint/T-Mobile merger is a hot idea. But that has almost nothing to do with 3GPP/3GPP2 integration. That has more to do with my thought that four competitors is better than three.

Not sure that 2 huge competitors and 2 tiny competitors are any better than 3 large competitors. Just some thoughts.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

And I would think the general consensus here at S4GRU would be "Hell no!"  After we finally got low frequency voice in SMR, it would be taken away, replaced with T-Mobile PCS/AWS.  Back to square one.

Also, your statement about using SMR for GSM voice does not make sense.  Please elaborate.

AJ

If they wanted to go all 3GPP, they could do partial WCDMA or GSM on the SMR spectrum now devoted to 1x. Or they could just forget the whole thing and go to VoLTE directly.

Not sure that 2 huge competitors and 2 tiny competitors are any better than 3 large competitors. Just some thoughts.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm with you. If there were 4 competitors all pretty much within 5% points of marketshare then I could see the DOJ blocking them from merging. But they have created a monster in allowing the big two to have a duopoly while the other two are fighting for scraps.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

AJ, I get all that. The problem is that we're too small a sample size to care about. Most Sprint users don't know, and don't care.

For an analog, most of the population is not knowledgeable about Net Neutrality.  However, that does not mean the likes of VZ, AT&T, and Comcast should just get their way.  The population needs experts informing them and/or making wise decisions for them.  See my point?

This is largely a tangential point, but I feel it to be related.  I cannot help but think what harm VZW and its decisions have done to Sprint over the past 10-12 years.  First, VZW effectively killed EV-DV by rushing to EV-DO.  Then, VZW did likewise with UMB by selecting LTE.  On the latter count, if VZW had just shed Vodafone a few years earlier, we probably could have had UMB, which would have been much better for 3GPP2 operators.  And we would not have this nonsense of Eurasians telling us to do things their way.

AJ

Yep, we basically have two pipsqueaks equipped with pea shooters going up against two giants carrying blunderbusses.  To make matters worse, the two pipsqueaks spend much of their time sniping at each other.  Meanwhile, the two giants are laughing all the way to the bank.

AJ

• Like 4

Yep, we basically have two pipsqueaks equipped with pea shooters going up against two giants carrying blunderbusses. To make matters worse, the two pipsqueaks spend much of their time sniping at each other. Meanwhile, the two giants are laughing all the way to the bank.

AJ

Where's good ole Teddy Roosevelt when you need him?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

If they wanted to go all 3GPP, they could do partial WCDMA or GSM on the SMR spectrum now devoted to 1x. Or they could just forget the whole thing and go to VoLTE directly.

There is no such thing as "partial W-CDMA."  It is 5 MHz FDD or nothing.  Additionally, GSM is ridiculously outdated at this point and not standardized for SMR 800 MHz -- that would be a fool's errand.

Now, if not for IBEZ and incumbent issues, such that Sprint had sufficient SMR spectrum nationwide for a single HSPA+ enhanced W-CDMA carrier, that might have been a viable option.  Band 26 W-CDMA is standardized; albeit, it has never been utilized anywhere.

AJ

Where's good ole Teddy Roosevelt when you need him?

Well, you do have me.  I carry a big stick.  But I do not always speak softly.

Regardless, I know of an industry that I would like for the "trust buster" to come back from the dead and charge into head first -- like a bull moose.

;)

AJ

There is no such thing as "partial W-CDMA."  It is 5 MHz FDD or nothing.  Additionally, GSM is ridiculously outdated at this point and not standardized for SMR 800 MHz -- that would be a fool's errand.

Now, if not for IBEZ and incumbent issues, such that Sprint had sufficient SMR spectrum nationwide for a single HSPA+ enhanced W-CDMA carrier, that might have been a viable option.  Band 26 W-CDMA is standardized; albeit, it has never been utilized anywhere.

AJ

Qualcomm begs otherwise :). I used the wrong term, it's called scalable UMTS:

http://www.qualcomm.com/research/projects/hspa/s-umts

Edited by bigsnake49

Qualcomm begs otherwise :). I used the wrong term, it's called scalable UMTS:

http://www.qualcomm.com/research/projects/hspa/s-umts

To put some Qualcomm initiatives into perspective, Qualcomm also proposed GSM1x so that GSM operators could both keep their preferred GSM MAP (i.e. backend network) and switch to a notably superior CDMA1X airlink.  It went nowhere.  In short, GSM1x could have existed but never did.

AJ

To put some Qualcomm initiatives into perspective, Qualcomm also proposed GSM1x so that GSM operators could both keep their preferred GSM MAP (i.e. backend network) and switch to a notably superior CDMA1X airlink.  It went nowhere.  In short, GSM1x could have existed but never did.

AJ

Only because no operator signed up for it. In this case, Sprint/T-Mobile will be big enough to do it. But like I said, VoLTE is close at hand, so I am not sure they will gain much by it.

Some interesting speculation/forward looking statements from the CEO of American Tower:

According to a Seeking Alpha transcript of American Tower's most recent earnings call, Taiclet said American Tower is "estimating that in addition to 38,000 Network Vision sites that are kind of on the docket with Sprint, they probably need another 30,000 or 40,000 transmission locations ultimately to have 2.5 coverage match the 1.9 network at the end of the day," he said. "So, it should be a long-term, as I said, multiyear project to get that signal out there," Taiclet added.

He said VoLTE, which both AT&T Mobility (NYSE: T) and Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ intend to launch this year, will require greater cell site density than that required to support classic circuit switch voice calls. "It's our belief that in order to roll out VoLTE effectively carriers will both eventually need to increase the density of their networks by up to 20 percent to 30 percent over time," Taiclet said.

Read more: Sprint may need up to 40,000 new cell sites for 2.5 GHz, tower exec says - FierceWirelessTech http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-may-need-40000-new-cell-sites-25-ghz-tower-exec-says/2014-05-04#ixzz313EhUFQx 
Subscribe at FierceWirelessTech

Could Artemis gear be the additional 30-40,000 locations? If Sprint were to merge with T-Mobile how many additional sites will be needed?

Edited by COZisBack
Post edited for copyright protection.
  • Like 3

Some interesting speculation/forward looking statements from the CEO of American Tower:

According to a [/size]Seeking Alpha transcript of American Tower's most recent earnings call, Taiclet said American Tower is "estimating that in addition to 38,000 Network Vision sites that are kind of on the docket with Sprint, they probably need another 30,000 or 40,000 transmission locations ultimately to have 2.5 coverage match the 1.9 network at the end of the day," he said. "So, it should be a long-term, as I said, multiyear project to get that signal out there," Taiclet added.[/size]

He said VoLTE, which both AT&T Mobility ([/size]NYSE: T) and Verizon Wireless ([/size]NYSE: VZ intend to launch this year, will require greater cell site density than that required to support classic circuit switch voice calls. "It's our belief that in order to roll out VoLTE effectively carriers will both eventually need to increase the density of their networks by up to 20 percent to 30 percent over time," Taiclet said.[/size]Read more: Sprint may need up to 40,000 new cell sites for 2.5 GHz, tower exec says - FierceWirelessTech http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-may-need-40000-new-cell-sites-25-ghz-tower-exec-says/2014-05-04#ixzz313EhUFQx 

Subscribe at FierceWirelessTech[/size]

Could Artemis gear be the additional 30-40,000 locations? If Sprint were to merge with T-Mobile how many additional sites will be needed?

I think this would be an area where the merging of both networks would prove useful. I know that in NYC particularly you find many places where Sprint is stronger than T-Mobile and fewer places where T-Mobile is stronger than Sprint. Should they merge, all non-collocated sites would be able to be used to densify the network. That would be more useful in building out VoLTE rather than leasing and building thousands of new towers.

Edited by COZisBack

According to a [/size]Seeking Alpha transcript of American Tower's most recent earnings call, Taiclet said American Tower is "estimating that in addition to 38,000 Network Vision sites that are kind of on the docket with Sprint, they probably need another 30,000 or 40,000 transmission locations ultimately to have 2.5 coverage match the 1.9 network at the end of the day," he said. "So, it should be a long-term, as I said, multiyear project to get that signal out there," Taiclet added.[/size]

He said VoLTE, which both AT&T Mobility ([/size]NYSE: T) and Verizon Wireless ([/size]NYSE: VZ intend to launch this year, will require greater cell site density than that required to support classic circuit switch voice calls. "It's our belief that in order to roll out VoLTE effectively carriers will both eventually need to increase the density of their networks by up to 20 percent to 30 percent over time," Taiclet said.[/size]Read more: Sprint may need up to 40,000 new cell sites for 2.5 GHz, tower exec says - FierceWirelessTech http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-may-need-40000-new-cell-sites-25-ghz-tower-exec-says/2014-05-04#ixzz313EhUFQx 

Subscribe at FierceWirelessTech[/size]

Nimby's will see this never happens.

Edited by COZisBack

I think this would be an area where the merging of both networks would prove useful. I know that in NYC particularly you find many places where Sprint is stronger than T-Mobile and fewer places where T-Mobile is stronger than Sprint. Should they merge, all non-collocated sites would be able to be used to densify the network. That would be more useful in building out VoLTE rather than leasing and building thousands of new towers.

Stronger as 2G signal strength, data throughput, cell spacing? NYC metro market is one of the densest T-Mobile markets in the nation.

Stronger as 2G signal strength, data throughput, cell spacing? NYC metro market is one of the densest T-Mobile markets in the nation.

I'm talking about 2G signal strength. In terms of site density, T-Mobile has done a great job of that, but it's way to often that I've seen friends on T-Mobile drop calls in areas where other carriers are performing fine.

I'm talking about 2G signal strength. In terms of site density, T-Mobile has done a great job of that, but it's way to often that I've seen friends on T-Mobile drop calls in areas where other carriers are performing fine.

That's generally because of the weak allocation for GSM. One of the weaknesses of 2G TDMA-based systems is that they are hard-limited by the amount of spectrum allocated. T-Mobile allocates roughly 2x4.5MHz of PCS to GSM, which isn't a lot. The reason for this is because T-Mobile lost 2x10MHz of PCS to Cingular when the network sharing venture was wound down as a result of Cingular Wireless acquiring AT&T Wireless Services.

• Like 1

Please remember to use the proper quote when copying/pasting articles to protect S4GRU from copyright issues. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/site-guidelines-rules/guidelines-about-posting-articles-from-outside-websites-r26

Thank you for your assistance.

• Like 1

blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2014/05/07/im-60-years-old-sprint-ceo-hints-at-moving-on/

‘I’m 60 Years Old’: Sprint CEO Hesse Hints He Could Leave

Looks like we may end up getting Legere

F---..... I would not want that to happen. Not at all.

Edited by lilotimz
  • Like 2

Dan is 60 years old and likely has tens of millions of dollars in the bank.  He can do almost whatever he wants with the rest of his life.

If I were even 40 years old and had even $1 million in the bank, I would mostly stop working and more seriously start pursuing my interests.  I could afford top notch gear for pro photography or test bench equipment for audio/video component measurements.

And the funny thing is that -- when you have money and are not concerned about making more money -- you often find yourself in the position to make more money.  I could probably earn a fair sum publishing my photos and/or my A/V component test bench results.

Looks like we may end up getting Legere

It might be worth it if Legere, who has repeatedly slandered Sprint, has to make an about face and spin Sprint into something positive.  Yep, Legere just might have to sit and spin.

AJ

• Like 6

Dan is 60 years old and likely has tens of millions of dollars in the bank.  He can do almost whatever he wants with the rest of his life.

If I were even 40 years old and had even $1 million in the bank, I would mostly stop working and more seriously start pursuing my interests.  I could afford top notch gear for pro photography or test bench equipment for audio/video component measurements.

And the funny thing is that -- when you have money and are not concerned about making more money -- you often find yourself in the position to make more money.  I could probably earn a fair sum publishing my photos and/or my A/V component test bench results.

It might be worth it if Legere, who has repeatedly slandered Sprint, has to make an about face and spin Sprint into something positive.  Yep, Legere just might have to sit and spin.

AJ

Yeah Legere, the guy who drove Global Crossing into bankruptcy after being their CEO for 10 years and is doing the pump and dump with T-Mobile.  I don't think it's worth his sit and spin.

• Like 1