Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

they aren't using LTE for Voice AND data..so you still ahve two networks you have to manage because voice and data are on two incompatible technologies...sprint+tmob=nextel disaster again.

One thing you are forgetting. Convergence based on LTE is what this merger is after. VoLTE is coming as soon as it is battery efficient and voice quality is good. Next, most flagship phones on Sprint now are capable of WCDMA voice based on being global roaming capable phones. It's easy to do a firmware upgrade to enable it for T-Mobile's PCS based voice network. Second, new devices can be designed for being able to utilize both networks at the same time. Cingular and AT&T Wireless used multi-network GAIT phones to use TDMA and GSM on the same device. Why can't Sprint do something similar?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I'm really interested in what would be divested spectrum wise.

I think a combined Sprint & T-Mobile would be stupid to give up AWS spectrum since it is pretty much the "go-to" band in the Americas for LTE (both for regionals and the big players as well as N. American roamers). However, I see them giving up portions of their PCS (and T-Mobile's) to the smaller regional carriers (as the FCC doesn't state WHO they have to divest spectrum to) that they signed roaming agreements with for the roaming hub. Just enough to get them below the spectrum "cap". I also see them giving up the 700A to regionals without it as well in order to get both roaming as well as support regionals against the "duopoly" with what is difficult to obtain (low band spectrum). It's a win-win for everyone because giving up PCS and 700A will net them cash for the 600 auction in which they can obtain low band spectrum (along with the regionals through both 600 and 700A) if the rules get approved.

I know it sounds like conspiracy theory, but there's nothing else that they could give away to net both wins for regionals, wins for themselves, and wins for the government to give them approval to go ahead. I'm starting to think this whole merger was pre-meditated before SoftBank even bought Sprint. 

Is that before or after Fcc came out against it?  $6B was a good hunk of change that really propelled T Mobile's reenergized network investments. DT at the time gave up on spending money on the network. They won't do that again.

From the moment they announced merger until it officially fell apart. For year and a half T-Mobile's network deployment was completely stalled. 

If T-Mobile and Sprint merge, at least one network will have to start transitioning onto the new technology. 

From the moment they announced merger until it officially fell apart. For year and a half T-Mobile's network deployment was completely stalled. 

If T-Mobile and Sprint merge, at least one network will have to start transitioning onto the new technology. 

I think Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent, Panasonic, Samsung, and KMW is only one Class II permissive change away from WCDMA operations if they ever decide to do it.

Edited by lilotimz
edited for calrity

Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent, Panasonic, Samsung, and KMW is only one Class II permissive change away from WCDMA operations if they ever decide to do it.

Just flipping a switch, right? 

Heh, if it was only that simple...

Just flipping a switch, right,? 

Heh, if it was only that simple lol. 

True... Ericsson still has to push the software updates and they're doing a mighty fine job of pushing eCSFB updates to sites that were NV 3G accepted months ago...

True... Ericsson still has to push the software updates and they're doing a mighty fine job of pushing eCSFB updates to sites that were NV 3G accepted months ago...

Please tell me that you're kidding with that earlier post.

I'm actually talking about your Class II post. 

I wish.. but it could happen at least for Ericsson as I recall their radios already had WCDMA functionality but it was never utilize. Not sure about Alcatel-Lucent, Panasonic, and Samsung though. I doubt Sprint would even do it.  

I wish.. but it could happen at least for Ericsson as I recall their radios already had WCDMA functionality but it was never utilize. Not sure about Alcatel-Lucent, Panasonic, and Samsung though. Sigh.. doubt Sprint would even do it.

Think about the existing Sprint subs without WCDMA compatible handsets. Not sure what the percentage is but it's a scary thought. The transition would involve a bit more than just the infrastructure vendor upgrades.

Think about the existing Sprint subs without WCDMA compatible handsets. Not sure what the percentage is but it's a scary thought. The transition would involve a bit more than just the infrastructure vendor upgrades.

That is very true but I think they have enough free spectrum for one WCDMA carrier in most if not all markets and can start seeding  WCDMA + LTE devices  slowly if they ever do decide to go that route. 

Shouldn't Sprint have been quiet about it to prevent T-Mobile stock from going up more, similar to how they treated the Clearwire buyout?

The theory is that they're trying to sneak it through while the Comcast / TWC merger is happening.

It's the "bigger crime" approach. Comcast / TWC is trying to monopolize the entire residential ISP market in the entire nation. SoftBank just wants to monopolize just one section of one market -- it looks "less hostile" in comparison.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-comcasttime-warner-cable-deal-could-open-door-sprintt-mobile/2014-02-13

It's probably a smart approach. I suspect there'd be a lot more vocal opposition to Sprint / T-Mobile, if folks weren't tied up fighting the Comcast takeover.

• Like 1

Newer Sprint phones utilize PCS+SMR voice and AWS+PCS G+2.5GHz+SMR LTE+700MHz. Completely new T-Mobile phones will utilize PCS WCDMA+SMR CDMA for voice and AWS+SMR LTE+700Mhz+2.5GHz LTE. 

The divestment will happen from EBS to Dish. Not from PCS and not from AWS.

There will be other conditions on buildout of 700MHz and SMR throughout the country even in places that make little economic sense. Plus hosting of Dish's spectrum at commercially reasonable rates.

Dish will be the big winner out of this.

• Like 2

they aren't using LTE for Voice AND data..so you still ahve two networks you have to manage because voice and data are on two incompatible technologies...sprint+tmob=nextel disaster again.

Network Vision architecture was designed with spectrum hosting in mind; have you forgotten their original intentions with hosting LightSquared? If this goes through, expect to see NV sites hosting LTE and HSPA+ on AWS spectrum, and maybe even existing T-Mobile sites brought up to NV standard to host Sprint band 41. There are already plenty of devices on the market that will work with either carrier's LTE if allowed to. Expect to also see more efficient usage of both carriers' existing PCS holdings.

Sprint just needs to throw up a new antenna, RRH, and carrier card at NV complete sites to host AWS HSPA/LTE, just like they're doing with EBS/BRS. They might even be able to squeeze enough PCS out of T-Mobile to launch a second or third PCS LTE carrier in some markets.

EDIT: Sprint is already eyeing 600 MHz spectrum which is already going to require all of those additions. They could easily do what AT&T did with their combination 700/AWS antennas and throw up 600/AWS antennas on all their sites which would allow them to launch 600 MHz LTE and host T-Mobile's AWS LTE on the same antennas. It all fits together very well in ways that would benefit both carriers.

EDIT 2: Maybe they'll even do 600/700/AWS antennas since T-Mobile already has 700 MHz spectrum to use in some markets. They would be very similar to the 3-section antennas being used in NV 1.0.

• Like 3

Anyone see this link yet? Is it a valid source? http://androidcommunity.com/sources-t-mobilesprint-merger-is-dead-20140502/

One thing you are forgetting. Convergence based on LTE is what this merger is after. VoLTE is coming as soon as it is battery efficient and voice quality is good. Next, most flagship phones on Sprint now are capable of WCDMA voice based on being global roaming capable phones. It's easy to do a firmware upgrade to enable it for T-Mobile's PCS based voice network. Second, new devices can be designed for being able to utilize both networks at the same time. Cingular and AT&T Wireless used multi-network GAIT phones to use TDMA and GSM on the same device. Why can't Sprint do something similar?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'm not willing to bank on the future..as it stands when these two merge there's two incompatible networks in existence..and it will be yet another integration for Sprint they will have to manage.  This is a bad idea in the here and now..forget the future...the same was said about nextel..it's cost sprint nothing but reputation, money, and most importantly..subs...this one will do the same thing.

I'm a little concerned, maybe some of you more educated posters can help me out.

It seems like Sprint put themselves in a bad place by not getting any AWS spectrum. It looks to me like this is the place to expand, but it's too late for Sprint to join the party.

They're not getting the PCS H Block and from what I've heard the 600MHz spectrum isn't the best. 

Sprint has very little ESMR band spectrum. Are they banking too much on the Clearwire spectrum?

Edit: Corrected myself. I mistakenly used Cellular instead of ESMR.

Edited by thepowerofdonuts

For all we know, Softbank and 1 or 2 other firms have been bidding on Tmo USA over the past several months.  I personally don't believe any of these "anonymous sources" are sharing anything that Softbank or others don't want shared.  

We all thought Sprint needed financial help, but their solicitation of bidders was not public knowledge prior to the announcement of softbank's acquisition.  If Softbank intends on announcing a plan to merge/buy tmo in June and they leaked the info, there is likely already a tentative purchase agreement between Softbank and DT. 

Also tired of the nextel references and all this garbage about the past.  "Sprint wants to do this" or "Sprint did that before" are all flawed statements.  "Sprint" is a US wireless operation owned by Softbank. No major decision is made without Softbank approval because "Sprint" is the word on the sign, not the show. 

• Like 15

I'm not willing to bank on the future..as it stands when these two merge there's two incompatible networks in existence..and it will be yet another integration for Sprint they will have to manage.  This is a bad idea in the here and now..forget the future...the same was said about nextel..it's cost sprint nothing but reputation, money, and most importantly..subs...this one will do the same thing.

I don't think you get it. Both carriers have UE deployed today, right now, that could connect to at least part of either carrier's LTE networks if told to do so, since both are using PCS LTE. Some devices (HTC One M8, Nexus 5, etc) can even connect to all bands on both carriers.

Both carriers have also implemented IMS in their core networks to allow for Wi-Fi calling, which will pave the way for both to offer VoLTE. Both carriers are working, right now, to implement VoLTE. And thanks to Voice Call Continuity, this means there's practically zero reason that your calls couldn't hand off between the two networks!

There is absolutely zero negative impact (and plenty of positive impact) to allowing reciprocal "native" roaming across the two networks today. IMS makes it work on the backend, and Network Vision makes it work on the towers. This is absolutely nothing like Sprint-Nextel.

• Like 5

I'm a little concerned, maybe some of you more educated posters can help me out.

It seems like Sprint put themselves in a bad place by not getting any AWS spectrum. It looks to me like this is the place to expand, but it's too late for Sprint to join the party.

They're not getting the PCS H Block and from what I've heard the 600MHz spectrum isn't the best. 

Sprint has very little ESMR band spectrum. Are they banking too much on the Clearwire spectrum?

Edit: Corrected myself. I mistakenly used Cellular instead of ESMR.

The Clearwire spectrum gives them everything they could want in AWS and more. Buying AWS would add nothing to the table. What they need is more sub-GHz spectrum, and 600 MHz is going to be the only place to get that.

• Like 4

Also tired of the nextel references and all this garbage about the past.  "Sprint wants to do this" or "Sprint did that before" are all flawed statements.  "Sprint" is a US wireless operation owned by Softbank. No major decision is made without Softbank approval because "Sprint" is the word on the sign, not the show. 

I couldn't agree with you more. People don't seem to realize yet that the Sprint we know now is nothing like the Sprint from the Nextel merger. We need to get that painful memory out of our heads and get the heck over it, because it is not going to happen again. Especially with Softbank in the passenger seat making sure Sprint drives well.

-Anthony

• Like 5

I couldn't agree with you more. People don't seem to realize yet that the Sprint we know now is nothing like the Sprint from the Nextel merger. We need to get that painful memory out of our heads and get the heck over it, because it is not going to happen again. Especially with Softbank in the passenger seat making sure Sprint drives well.

-Anthony

Sorry but what many of you seems to forget that Sprint has burned customers twice, not once but twice and technically 3 times.

1. The Nextel merger..nuff said on that

2. the Xohm/Clearwire 4g non roll-out. The premium data charge and the promise of Wimax coming to cities that never happened. Plus Wimax service that didn't even work indoors and murdered your battery.

3. The slow pace of the LTE roll-out because Sprint network had to be rebuilt because it was neglected for over decade in some parts. Now towers are being updated and it's knocking subscribers offline for days to week with no data access. In addition even if you own a LTE smartphone unless it one that came out recently your LTE  experience will still be bad. Telling a subscriber to buy another Smartphone for another upgrade to your LTE network, because the LTE Smartphone you bought won't get the better LTE signal, even though you never had LTE service in you city to begin with is another slap in someone face.

You guy need to learn the word empathy. I see it on all other web sites(androidcentral,The verge, DSL reports) when people vent about their Sprint experience. Normally it's not good. Some Sprint apologist goes ape @#@ and tries to discredit them or brag that they get Spark in their area. People have a right to vent. the paid for good or service and it didn't meet their expectation.

Sprint situation is like BlackBerry's, the name is toxic right now to many people, regular people. Once the network is complete than maybe it will be the time to shout to the heavens, but right now past subs and present subs are not to cool with the idea regardless who is in charge because the only name they know on the bills is "pay to Sprint".

• Like 3