Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Tmobiles rolling out LTE on band 2. Doesn't sprint phone support band 2?

Band 25 is a superset of band 2, so yes, current Sprint phones support that.

• Like 2

Band 25 is a superset of band 2, so yes, current Sprint phones support that.

Thank you Fraydog...that's what I thought.

Wow so if the merger does go through..The new Co will have

600/700/800/1700/2100/1900/2500

Jesus.

• Like 1

And I've seen some commenters who get that a potential deal could be a good thing too, although there will likely be sacrifices on both ends. I know the duopoly can't be too happy with this prospect.

I think what is silly here is that people think T-Mobile alone can compete with the Duopoly. The reality is that neither Sprint nor T-Mobile can.

I think that the duopoly - especially AT&T - has poop running down both legs at the though of Sprint's spectrum holdings, and TMO's marketing.

voltron_bs.jpg

Thank you Fraydog...that's what I thought.

Wow so if the merger does go through..The new Co will have

600/700/800/1700/2100/1900/2500

Jesus.

I think they will have to divest a good amount of spectrum. 

Edited by JeremiahMcCurry

I wonder if the acquirer of divested spectrum will be Dish. Dish gets some EBS along with PCS, and a network sharing accord, then they suddenly become a real player in this market.

• Like 1

I wonder if the acquirer of divested spectrum will be Dish. Dish gets some EBS along with PCS, and a network sharing accord, then they suddenly become a real player in this market.

I think AT&T will pick up as much spectrum as they can, especially PCS/AWS

If they are going to divest EBS/BRS then they might as well stop deploying NV 2.0 now.

No. It still makes sense to deploy. They are not going to divest all of that spectrum. 60 MHz and up will remain, depending on markets, still enough to 20+20+20 aggregate.

Not if there's a chance the merger fails. 

No. It still makes sense to deploy. They are not going to divest all of that spectrum. 60 MHz and up will remain, depending on markets, still enough to 20+20+20 aggregate.

My post was a bit tongue and cheek. However, it seems that the first suggestion that everyone throws out is to divest EBS/BRS.

So if successful there will be seven brands of cellular service under one roof. Sprint, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, GoMobile, Virgin, Sprint Prepaid, and Boost. I wonder what will be kept and what will get killed. 

So if successful there will be seven brands of cellular service under one roof. Sprint, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, GoMobile, Virgin, Sprint Prepaid, and Boost. I wonder what will be kept and what will get killed. 

It could be possible that the spin off one or two names as independent MVNO(s).

If sprint can keep at least 60mhz of 2.5 they will be more than fine.

Doesn't tmobile have 20x20 and 40x40 of aws in some markets?

Will the new company still participate in the roaming hub?

Can sprint use Dish's spectrum too?

So many questions

It's crazy to think how long it could take to integrate and consolidate this new entity. If you thought NV 1.0 was taking a long time... NV 2.0 could be wrapped before regulatory approvals and the ink is dry (especially if spectrum needs to be divested).

The M&A game is tough. The new corporate entity is going to have a lot to suss out well beyond which CEO should lead the company.

By the time a merger gets approved, Sprint is going to have to, under the new executive team, integrate Network Vision and Network Modernization (T-Mobile's program.) 

The good news is that I think there's more continuity under the surface than we might think. Sprint now has a very developed 3GPP infrastructure though LTE. And multi-operator core networks, or MOCN, could be used to fuse the LTE parts of the network together more quickly than thought. 

I still don't know what the final merged network would look like, but if I had to hazard a guess, it would be lots of NSN and Samsung in the Midwest, and lots of AlLu and Ericsson on the coasts. 

That 1 Billion dollar breakup fee could sure get a lot of B41 sites running.

The entire idea of a break up fee is garbage.

Hey I want to buy this truck. OK, but if financing doesn't go through, you owe us 2 grand anyway.

Especially if the merger is blocked by the feds, rather by SoftBank/Sprint backing out. Both sides know going into it that there is some risk that the merger may get blocked, so both sides should equally assume that risk.

If this deal does indeed get announced at this point I think it show's Masa Son's impatience. Not necessarily a good trait.

Really.. The dude can't at least wait until after the incentive auctions?

The other CCA members won't be too happy with this. With the spectrum reserve gone, their odds of being able to afford any 600 MHz spectrum are going to plummet, and adds a lot of doubt to the future of the Roaming Hub. If Sprint is mandated to build out to more rural areas (which I would hope would be a condition of the merger), they may no longer feel as much of a need to partner with the CCA networks.

DT and SoftBank also seem to think that the Comcast-TWC and ATT-DirecTV mergers strengthen their case (even though they're largely unrelated), but that may actually backfire, if the feds get merger fatigue by the time they get around to reviewing this deal.

• Like 1

I hate to repeat myself but here what I see happening:

If sprint can keep at least 60mhz of 2.5 they will be more than fine.

Doesn't tmobile have 20x20 and 40x40 of aws in some markets?

Will the new company still participate in the roaming hub?

Can sprint use Dish's spectrum too?

So many questions

You mean 10x10 and 20x20?

Really.. The dude can't at least until after the incentive auctions?

Exactly. Both companies successfully petitioned the FCC to set some friendly rules with regards to the 600MHz auction. Instead of flushing that down the toilet, why not get that out of the way and then see about making a move.

"If significant changes in the marketplace structure occur or a proposed transaction is filed with the Commission in the future affecting the top four nationwide providers and their spectrum holdings, we will revisit our decisions here regarding the reserved spectrum provisions for the 600 MHz Band that we adopt today," the FCC noted. The FCC is reserving up to 30 MHz of spectrum in the auction for smaller carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile.

Read more: Report: Sprint close to $32B deal for T-Mobile - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-sprint-close-32b-deal-t-mobile/2014-06-04#ixzz33jK7vfUS 

Subscribe at FierceWireless

• Like 1

Maybe there has been genuine behind the scenes talks between Comcast/unknown parties and DT making Softbank want to get the jump on it. Only thing I can think of

In my opinion divesting PCS would be the worst possible move as in many markets two operators are contiguous in this spectrum band and could deploy 10MHz FDD LTE or more at some point. 

Not sure which technology their merged company will pick, but they could also leverage HSPA+42 in the PCS since many existing Sprint UE could attach right away. 

• Like 3

In my opinion divesting PCS would be the worst possible move as in many markets two operators are contiguous in this spectrum band and could deploy 10MHz FDD LTE or more at some point. 

Not sure which technology their merged company will pick, but they could also leverage HSPA+42 in the PCS since many existing Sprint UE could attach right away. 

It's not just divesting, but aligning contigous spectrum. Similar to what T-Mobile has done with AT&T and Verizon.  The goal is to shore up markets that need help and divest in markets that have excess.  Obviously we would need to go back to WiWavelenth's spreadsheets to really dig into market by market analysis.

• Like 1

Maybe there has been genuine behind the scenes talks between Comcast/unknown parties and DT making Softbank want to get the jump on it. Only thing I can think of

Or SoftBank felt they had to jump on T-Mobile now, before T-Mobile's accelerated growth pushed the price too high for Son to pay? The momentum is certainly there with TMO... At least if you listen to the Magentafia.

• Like 1