Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Yeah Legere, the guy who drove Global Crossing into bankruptcy after being their CEO for 10 years and is doing the pump and dump with T-Mobile.  I don't think it's worth his sit and spin.

If the rumors are true, Masa certainly wouldn't agree with you. 

And let's be real here... As much as Hesse seems to be a lovable guy here, for his 7 years in charge of Sprint we've seen mostly struggle to innovate, struggle to deploy, struggle to meet the goals, and he's shown us how things are suppose to NOT get done. Lots of promises for the bright future, but that future never really came and we've been waiting patiently. And especially as of late, lot's of consumer unfriendly pricing schemes that squeeze even more of that hard earned cash out of Sprint's subscribers' wallets. It's starting to be very uncomfortable to watch him still talking about the future and how he needs even more time.

I get the concern if most of people in here are stock holders or Sprint investors, but c'mon now... as a subscriber, consumer, tech lover, how can you truly believe that he's capable of creating a dramatic shift in his strategy, shake things around, and start delivering on all cylinders.

Just doesn't sit that well anymore...

• Like 2

If all this happens I hope Sprint can merge all these frequencys into one device and make it work. I have a EVO which isn't the best device, I can't switch from 1900 to 800 without roaming first and having to reset my connections to pick up 800 or dropping a call for all this to happen. Hopefully the new devices are better at handling this.

I have to defend Hesse somewhat. He was dealt a hand by his predecessor that I would not wish on my worst enemy. He had no money to do anything, he did not have a sugar daddy until recently, he had to basically survive until a sugar daddy came along. He might have been a little too collegial with his underlings instead of pressing them to meet goals or else. He came from AT&T with the old telecom culture, not the start up culture that was needed for Sprint.

We need Legere as the CEO of the combined entity to sell the merger to the feds. Along with spectrum divestments and making Dish a viable competitor.

• Like 1

If all this happens I hope Sprint can merge all these frequencys into one device and make it work. I have a EVO which isn't the best device, I can't switch from 1900 to 800 without roaming first and having to reset my connections to pick up 800 or dropping a call for all this to happen. Hopefully the new devices are better at handling this.

Every device available now is better than the Evo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

He might have been a little too collegial with his underlings instead of pressing them to meet goals or else.

We have to also remember that Hesse answered to Sprint's board and largest investors who were in fact part of the legacy of decision making of the past decade. Most recent and publicized disagreement was the MetroPCS acquisition. Hesse was all for it, the board killed it. In hindsight it would have prevented some of Tmo's new leverage and also increased revenue. A CEO who does not own a large part of a company he runs is far from autonomous.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 8

It might be worth it if Legere, who has repeatedly slandered Sprint, has to make an about face and spin Sprint into something positive.  Yep, Legere just might have to sit and spin.

AJ

For some reason I thought of this when you wrote that.

kk7204Tips.gif

TS

• Like 2

For some reason I thought of this when you wrote that.

kk7204Tips.gif

We should buy that and send it to Legere as his new desk chair.  I would gladly chip in.

AJ

• Like 6

Yeah Legere, the guy who drove Global Crossing into bankruptcy after being their CEO for 10 years and is doing the pump and dump with T-Mobile.  I don't think it's worth his sit and spin.

Pump and dump.  Sit and spin.  I think that we are coming up with a lot of great ideas that Legere can go do with himself.

AJ

• Like 6

While I don't like Legere as much as Hesse, I think Legere would be a great person to have if Sprint and T-Mobile merge. People still dis Sprint and at least if Legere was CEO people would have a higher chance of following him. He is more boisterous than Hesse and he can change things up. While I would rather have Hesse with Sprint, if Legere becomes the CEO, Son will control him and slap him on the wrists if he does something naughty.  

I have to defend Hesse somewhat. He was dealt a hand by his predecessor that I would not wish on my worst enemy. He had no money to do anything, he did not have a sugar daddy until recently, he had to basically survive until a sugar daddy came along. He might have been a little too collegial with his underlings instead of pressing them to meet goals or else. He came from AT&T with the old telecom culture, not the start up culture that was needed for Sprint.

We need Legere as the CEO of the combined entity to sell the merger to the feds. Along with spectrum divestments and making Dish a viable competitor.

Hesse is the CEO I would prefer. He did about as good a job as it was possible to do with given where it was at when he took over.

• Like 3

Hesse is the CEO I would prefer. He did about as good a job as it was possible to do with given where it was at when he took over.

While I agree with that, we are a select few who actually see the truth behind it. The general public hates Sprint and people like Legere because of his attitude and how he gets things done; and because he isn't with Sprint.

Guess who just popped up again?

Mr. Ergen...

I heard someone talking about this but I could not locate a single article until I came across this....

http://www.theflyonthewall.com/permalinks/entry.php/DISH;TMUS;Sid2008187/DISH;TMUS;S-DISHs-Ergen-says-company-would-be-interested-in-TMobile-if-Sprint-doesnt-buy

If the rumors are true, Masa certainly wouldn't agree with you. 

And let's be real here... As much as Hesse seems to be a lovable guy here, for his 7 years in charge of Sprint we've seen mostly struggle to innovate, struggle to deploy, struggle to meet the goals, and he's shown us how things are suppose to NOT get done. Lots of promises for the bright future, but that future never really came and we've been waiting patiently. And especially as of late, lot's of consumer unfriendly pricing schemes that squeeze even more of that hard earned cash out of Sprint's subscribers' wallets. It's starting to be very uncomfortable to watch him still talking about the future and how he needs even more time.

I get the concern if most of people in here are stock holders or Sprint investors, but c'mon now... as a subscriber, consumer, tech lover, how can you truly believe that he's capable of creating a dramatic shift in his strategy, shake things around, and start delivering on all cylinders.

Just doesn't sit that well anymore...

I think thats a myopic view. Is Dan the visionary we seek? Probably not. But keep in mind that Dan inherited a deeply flawed company. He pulled out quite a few trick ponies to keep the boat a float. What we may be seeing now is him running out of ponies. Dan is not Gary and thank god, otherwise Sprint might have gone under before Softbank stepped in.

• Like 2

I think thats a myopic view. Is Dan the visionary we seek? Probably not. But keep in mind that Dan inherited a deeply flawed company. He pulled out quite a few trick ponies to keep the boat a float. What we may be seeing now is him running out of ponies. Dan is not Gary and thank god, otherwise Sprint might have gone under before Softbank stepped in.

I think that there a lot more brewing behind the scenes than we know of. Part of it is some kind of collaboration with Dish. It's not that Dan is not a visionary. It is that Legere is perceived as a more aggressive competitor and a more aggressive doer. In order to sell this merger to the feds Son will have to show that he will compete with the other two. 

Let me repeat myself. In order to sell this merger, Sprint/Softbank should be willing to divest spectrum to Dish (a spectrum swap of EBS for 2000-2020MHz+PCS-H will also be palatable), hosting of Dish's spectrum, promise of aggressive deployment of rural deployment of SMR/700MHz, promise of deployment of fixed broadband on EBS by Dish/Sprint and a perceived competitive CEO will go a long way to sell this merger.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

Also, I remember reading on this forum that a lot of the issues that Dan ran into were because the Board would not let him. There were several times when he presented changes that would've benefited Sprint but was shot down. Now with Masa practically owning the company, there is nobody to tell him no...

• Like 2

Also, I remember reading on this forum that a lot of the issues that Dan ran into were because the Board would not let him. There were several times when he presented changes that would've benefited Sprint but was shot down. Now with Masa practically owning the company, there is nobody to tell him no...

Well, the board can still tell him no, since Masa can't be involved all the time, and while he is the majority owner, he still delegates his power to his representative on the Board of Directors.

Well, the board can still tell him no, since Masa can't be involved all the time, and while he is the majority owner, he still delegates his power to his representative on the Board of Directors.

I was referring to before masa.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304655304579552301170337002?mg=reno64-wsj

Apparently Tmobile wants a break up fee of 1 billion plus

Good.  That is a bargain.  The lifetime supply of pomade that I proposed for Mr. Greasy Hair would have cost at least $1.5 billion.

AJ

If they're smart to wait with the announcement until after TV Incentive Auction, that SprinT-Mobile could end up doubling the amount of low band spectrum in 2015. That would be a real win. 

Otherwise, rushing to announce the merger could be a very costly move. 

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304655304579552301170337002?mg=reno64-wsj

Apparently Tmobile wants a break up fee of 1 billion plus

I don't know about that fee. I have a bad feeling about it. I guess it depends if they get money and spectrum, or just one of those. Only time will tell.

If they're smart to wait with the announcement until after TV Incentive Auction, that SprinT-Mobile could end up doubling the amount of low band spectrum in 2015. That would be a real win. 

Otherwise, rushing to announce the merger could be a very costly move. 

That will depend, in part, upon the finalized rules for the 600 MHz auction and the amount of spectrum that is made available.  If Sprint and T-Mobile bid against one another as separate entities, they will end up paying more aggregate than they would as a single Sprint-T-Mobile.  Think of it as two fiancés bidding against each other at an auction.  That additional cost must be factored into the equation.

AJ

• Like 1