Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Who is Tony Chen?

He repeatedly trolls the comments following Sprint articles. His level of knowledge and discourse is roughly "Ha, Sprint sux. T-Mobile is da bomb."

AJ

• Like 4

All the American providers do shitty, even holy St. Verizon (sarcasm guys!)

You know one thing that Opensignal and Sensorly (Sensorly used to have it on there maps, no longer an option) shows is Vrigin mobile and Boost and its the same darn coverage as being a customer directly on Sprint!!  Its pretty goofy if you ask me to have that, the only difference in coverage is roaming.  Virgin and Boost have the same access to LTE, Wimax (lol), and Spark.  

As a side note....Do you ever see for example GoSmart Mobile? Nope! and they are owned by T-mobile and thats not on there. Metro PCS I don't know if its showing just there own old CDMA coverage or not.  Cricket, thats just showing there old CDMA, since the re branding is brand new basically.  

He repeatedly trolls the comments following Sprint articles. His level of knowledge and discourse is roughly "Ha, Sprint sux. T-Mobile is da bomb."

AJ

I usually ignore the comments

You know one thing that Opensignal and Sensorly (Sensorly used to have it on there maps, no longer an option) shows is Vrigin mobile and Boost and its the same darn coverage as being a customer directly on Sprint!! Its pretty goofy if you ask me to have that, the only difference in coverage is roaming. Virgin and Boost have the same access to LTE, Wimax (lol), and Spark.

As a side note....Do you ever see for example GoSmart Mobile? Nope! and they are owned by T-mobile and thats not on there. Metro PCS I don't know if its showing just there own old CDMA coverage or not. Cricket, thats just showing there old CDMA, since the re branding is brand new basically.

MetroPCS is showing their old LTE 5x5 network that was spectrum crunched, that is now being integrated into T-Mobile's core through MOCN. So those Metro customers were in areas where T-Mobile and Metro were still running separate LTE networks.

Cricket is being completely decommissioned. AT&T setups already fully support AWS LTE and will quickly be able to integrate Cricket AWS and PCS once their networks get shut down.

For all practical purposes what's left of Cricket is being merged into AIO which is rebranding as the New Cricket.

MetroPCS is showing their old LTE 5x5 network that was spectrum crunched, that is now being integrated into T-Mobile's core through MOCN. So those Metro customers were in areas where T-Mobile and Metro were still running separate LTE networks.

Cricket is being completely decommissioned. AT&T setups already fully support AWS LTE and will quickly be able to integrate Cricket AWS and PCS once their networks get shut down.

For all practical purposes what's left of Cricket is being merged into AIO which is rebranding as the New Cricket.

I knew that already! By the way the people I knew that had the old Cricket (I am in an old Cricket CDMA market), they told me the coverage was crappy, the 3G speeds were horrible too.  A guy I was friends with, he had been in the cities where they had the Cricket native coverage Rochester (NY), Buffalo, Syracuse and Pittsburgh, PA (he traveled a lot), he said it didnt matter what Cricket market he was in he tole me....it was in his words "garbage".  I convinced him to switch to Sprint and he always thought Sprint was bad with coverage and I proved him wrong.  I told him that now Sprint has improved the towers and signal should be better now (he didnt care about the technical terms (for example GMO).  I actually spoke with him a couple of weeks ago to see how his experience was and he said "I didnt think Sprint was good but I haven't had any signal problems yet and I can keep my calls connected!  The 4G LTE could be better but the 3G is better then Cricket" 

Hey at least I am trying to get my friends to see that Sprint HAS improved and its better then it was!  :2tu:

You know one thing that Opensignal and Sensorly (Sensorly used to have it on there maps, no longer an option) shows is Vrigin mobile and Boost and its the same darn coverage as being a customer directly on Sprint!! Its pretty goofy if you ask me to have that, the only difference in coverage is roaming. Virgin and Boost have the same access to LTE, Wimax (lol), and Spark.

I've been told Sensorly treats all coverage, including roaming, as coverage. So the maps would be different.

• Like 3

I've been told Sensorly treats all coverage, including roaming, as coverage. So the maps would be different.

Yeah sensorlh does. I thought sensorly uses Plmn's to assign coverage to the right maps. So I don't know how/why it reports roaming. It might have changed from how it wason the older design.

Yeah sensorlh does. I thought sensorly uses Plmn's to assign coverage to the right maps. So I don't know how/why it reports roaming. It might have changed from how it wason the older design.

I've mapped through an area that was roaming only and it showed up on the map as 1x service.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, I was just wondering what everyone's thought is on how the network will work if they merge.

Well, Sprint will get access to T-Mobile's LTE network and vice versa almost immediately as long as devices support it. In the end they will have to have devices that support 6 LTE bands (600MHz/700Mhz/800Mhz/1900MHz/2500MHz). Voice will be a bit trickier until VoLTE takes over. Sprint's network will gain some additional non-overlapping sites from T-Mobile. I think that they will probably keep NV as in have NV base stations host T-Mobile's frequencies and sell T_mobile's network after the two networks are integrated. I am sure that Dish might be interested.

Edited by bigsnake49

Well, Sprint will get access to T-Mobile's LTE network and vice versa almost immediately as long as devices support it.

I'm a bit confused on that first sentence. I could be wrong in my opinion, but lets say Softbank does announce this in July or worse further in August. I don't see how any device sold by Sprint being released this year alone would have the capability to access T-Mobile's network almost immediately. Are you saying that Sprint would unlock the GSM domestic radios in current world phones to make this possible?

TS

I'm a bit confused on that first sentence. I could be wrong in my opinion, but lets say Softbank does announce this in July or worse further in August. I don't see how any device sold by Sprint being released this year alone would have the capability to access T-Mobile's network almost immediately. Are you saying that Sprint would unlock the GSM domestic radios in current world phones to make this possible?

TS

Yes, if the hardware is capable but is locked in firmware then they will unlock it in firmware. Something tells me that the firmware will also have to be modified to scan for that band. I don't know what modifications need to be made to csfb or ecsfb software at the base station or switch to enable smooth transition between bands.

Don't a bunch of Sprint handsets support DC-HSPA with firmware upgrades?

Are you talking about DC-HSPA+ or W-CDMA?  The former is just an enhancement and is not necessary for general compatibility.  Many AT&T devices, for example, support W-CDMA but not dual carrier.

AJ

Don't a bunch of Sprint handsets support DC-HSPA with firmware upgrades?

DC-HSPA+ only gives you higher peak speeds. It does not really give you better capacity than 2 single channels of HSPA+

DC-HSPA+ only gives you higher peak speeds. It does not really give you better capacity than 2 single channels of HSPA+

I only ask for current handsets working on a merged network of some sort. If it's too much work to change the firmware, I understand, but if it's a simple setting change, that would just provide another layer of network for Sprint handsets to fall back on in a merged environment.

I am aware lots of Sprint handsets support UMTS and HSPA 14.4.

I only ask for current handsets working on a merged network of some sort. If it's too much work to change the firmware, I understand, but if it's a simple setting change, that would just provide another layer of network for Sprint handsets to fall back on in a merged environment.

I have not delved into which current Sprint handsets are capable of supporting DC-HSPA+ in hardware but prevented by firmware.

Edited by bigsnake49

Well getting the S4 to work on the US carriers was pretty easy once it was figured out. I don't think it should involve too much to be able to change. The biggest thing people will complain about is if sprint doesn't have phones supporting more than 10mhz bandwidth. I won't mind anything more than 10mhz, but so many people will want to show off their speeds to everyone. But it would be good marketing to gain sub's.

I doubt the will be as eager to make your old phone work on all the merged bands and modes as sell you a new phone that does and has a part number that's changed by one digit or letter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I doubt the will be as eager to make your old phone work on all the merged bands and modes as sell you a new phone that does and has a part number that's changed by one digit or letter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It depends. If Sprint is the one that has imposed the firmware locks, then they can unlock them. However if it is the manufacturer, they want to sell you a new phone.

It depends. If Sprint is the one that has imposed the firmware locks, then they can unlock them. However if it is the manufacturer, they want to sell you a new phone.

Everyone in the game wants you to buy a new phone. Money in everyone's pocket but yours!