Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

Would they open up devices like the n5 to access both networks?

There's places where I don't get sprint service and tmo works well is why I'm asking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Would they open up devices like the n5 to access both networks?

There's places where I don't get sprint service and tmo works well is why I'm asking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, if the handset supports AWS LTE

I was really hoping that it would rename the combined company to something new or at least stay as Sprint since it is the second or first oldest telecom in the US , but eh, these suits are going to do what every tickles their fancy. 

So I guess S4GRu will have to change colors and name now.

On second thought, S4GRu is still good. Since Softbank is the parent company.

Hey Robert, nice colors...

Softbank-S4GRU.png

TS out

• Like 6

I was really hoping that it would rename the combined company to something new or at least stay as Sprint since it is the second or first oldest telecom in the US , but eh, these suits are going to do what every tickles their fancy.

So I guess S4GRu will have to change colors and name now.

On second thought, S4GRu is still good. Since Softbank is the parent company.

Hey Robert, nice colors...

Softbank-S4GRU.png

TS out

World domination? :rofl:

Sent from my Josh's iPad using Tapatalk 2

They wil not get rid of PCS if they can help it. They will get rid of EBS definitely. 700Mhz I am not so sure given Sprint's intention to roam on 700Mhz rural partners.

If the spectrum screen is on total spectrum, then divesting some/all of EBS should satisfy it. If the spectrum is by band, then they might have to get rid of some of PCS. I hope not.

True but with the 600mhz spectrum coming up and if they divest the 700mhz band that means the only lower band they have will be 800mhz band.

They might as well give it to Dish

True but with the 600mhz spectrum coming up and if they divest the 700mhz band that means the only lower band they have will be 800mhz band.

They might as well give it to Dish

I am not advocating that they get rid of 700MHz.

Sprint has no excuse to not haul arse on both bands of Spark, 26 and 41. Those can both be useful even if the merger goes through, they can be used even in markets where TMo is 20x20. That's lots of parallel spectrum to throw around.

• Like 2

I'd wager against that happening. Sprint is already lighting up LTE on Band 26. W-CDMA would be a step backwards. If the goal is to have all customers benefit from voice coverage on that spectrum then I believe a better option would be to accelerate VoLTE.

Considering T-Mo's engineers are rolling out VoLTE under the surface in lots of areas around the country, I don't think T-Mo is sitting still on UMTS. Maybe some T-Mo fanboys would advocate going backwards but I don't think T-Mobile management thinks that.

• Like 1

Yes, if the handset supports AWS LTE

I think if they did this I would instantly leave Ting and rejoin Sprint. T-Mobile speeds here in Austin are ridiculously high. It would be great to join a framily and have access to those speeds @$45/mo. Right now I just get a lot of time outs and slow connections with the Sprint network here so I figure I may as well pay less (overall) at Ting for metered bandwidth that I pretty much never use.

When the ATT merger failed, didn't DT use most of the break up fee for its Europe operations? I would assume that would be the case with this. Every one instantly thinks the break up fee goes to Tmobile. DT gets the cash since they are the parent company.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why everyone thinks Sprint should be so quick to divest all of their EBS. The ONLY scenario in which I could see EBS being divested is in markets with more than 120mhz of it. EBS is Sprint's ticket to future success. It isn't going anywhere, regardless of mergers.

• Like 1

I really don't understand why everyone thinks Sprint should be so quick to divest all of their EBS. The ONLY scenario in which I could see EBS being divested is in markets with more than 120mhz of it. EBS is Sprint's ticket to future success. It isn't going anywhere, regardless of mergers.

What else would you have them divest? They don't have any PCS or 800 SMR to divest without impacting service, and even if they did, it would pale in comparison to the EBS spectrum they would retain.

The NV 2.0 equipment being deployed supports up to three 20 MHz TDD-LTE carriers. That's less than half of the band 41 spectrum Sprint owns in many markets. They don't even have any public plans to use the rest of it right now. There is no other logical choice. And T-Mobile holds the least amount of spectrum of any carrier, so it's not like they're bringing anything that can be divested.

• Like 1

What else would you have them divest? They don't have any PCS or 800 SMR to divest without impacting service, and even if they did, it would pale in comparison to the EBS spectrum they would retain.

The NV 2.0 equipment being deployed supports up to three 20 MHz TDD-LTE carriers. That's less than half of the band 41 spectrum Sprint owns in many markets. They don't even have any public plans to use the rest of it right now. There is no other logical choice. And T-Mobile holds the least amount of spectrum of any carrier, so it's not like they're bringing anything that can be divested.

That's incorrect. 8t8r equipment support up to 120 mhz of spectrum in 6 20 mhz TDD carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

That's incorrect. 8t8r equipment support up to 120 mhz of spectrum in 6 20 mhz TDD carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I don't know why I keep having problems with 8t8r capabilities.

My point still stands though -- they can't divest 800 SMR or PCS without putting the brakes on Network Vision.

• Like 1

This would be my list (from first to last)....

1. Sprint's 900 MHz holdings - Unless there is some way to use this, why keep it?

2. T-Mobile's 700 MHz holdings - Not deployed yet, issues with channel 51 (?) in many places, not nationwide.

3. Excess EBS/BRS - In the few locations where there is over 120 MHz or where there are isolated unusable blocks ( < 20 MHz contigous)

4. Excess PCS - Still keeping plenty of it though. I would say any market with a combined total > 40 MHz

5. T-Mobile's AWS - If necessary, the real benefit is selling it should be easy.

• Like 3

This would be my list (from first to last)....

1. Sprint's 900 MHz holdings - Unless there is some way to use this, why keep it?

2. T-Mobile's 700 MHz holdings - Not deployed yet, issues with channel 51 (?) in many places, not nationwide.

3. Excess EBS/BRS - In the few locations where there is over 120 MHz or where there are isolated unusable blocks ( < 20 MHz contigous)

4. Excess PCS - Still keeping plenty of it though. I would say any market with a combined total > 40 MHz

5. T-Mobile's AWS - If necessary, the real benefit is selling it should be easy.

This is definitely how I would do it. In fact, if the AWS device ecosystem weren't so damn huge, I'd put that at the top.

• Like 1

This is definitely how I would do it. In fact, if the AWS device ecosystem weren't so damn huge, I'd put that at the top.

It might rise higher if (and I think there is a possibility of it) the FCC/DOJ require a wholesale sale of spectrum and facilities in areas where the merger is overlapping. Basically an attempt to not lose a fourth major carrier, with presumably Dish or USCC as the most likely to step in and buy.

• Like 1

I hope this merger gets approved because Sprint cannot afford to lose $2billion at this point. If this merger gets approved how long would it talk to have everything under one umbrella network wise? Also how quickly could this merger be shot down?

I kinda question Son now only because it seems like he's giving up on Sprint. He said that Sprint would be a powerhouse but it just feels like he's more invested in buying T-Mobile than repairing Sprint and regaining customer trust again. I fully believe that Sprint can pull a T-Mobile but I think he realizes now that alot of work needs to be put into Sprint. So I guess a merger and the elimination of the Sprint brand will be the easy way out...but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 2

They wil not get rid of PCS if they can help it. They will get rid of EBS definitely. 700Mhz I am not so sure given Sprint's intention to roam on 700Mhz rural partners.

If the spectrum screen is on total spectrum, then divesting some/all of EBS should satisfy it. If the spectrum is by band, then they might have to get rid of some of PCS. I hope not.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Sprint should agree to divest some BRS/EBS spectrum.  You have been saying this ad nauseam.  The obvious buyer would be Dish, which a year or two later then would get snapped up whole by VZ or even AT&T.  Yes, acquired by even AT&T previously combined with DirecTV.  It already happened in DSARS with SiriusXM.  It could just as easily happen with DBS.

Either way the DoJ and FCC would probably approve it on the grounds that the satellite competitors could not effectively compete with terrestrial incumbents, the latter of which would be one of the anti competitive parties that sought merger approval and has generally screwed over the public good.

So, how would that be so much better???  Hooray for the duopoly.

AJ

• Like 4

What was stopping the duopoly from getting EBS before? Just lack of caring? It's not like EBS spectrum was expensive or unavailable for a long time.

Yes I'm aware VZ made a bid for Clearwire as "Party J" but that wasn't until 2013.

Verizon could probably buy Dish without issue with the way the FCC adjusted the spectrum screen.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  Sprint should agree to divest some BRS/EBS spectrum.  You have been saying this ad nauseam.  The obvious buyer would be Dish, which a year or two later then would get snapped up whole by VZ or even AT&T.  Yes, acquired by even AT&T previously combined with DirecTV.  It already happened in DSARS with SiriusXM.  It could just as easily happen with DBS.

Either way the DoJ and FCC would probably approve it on the grounds that the satellite competitors could not effectively compete with terrestrial incumbents, the latter of which would be one of the anti competitive parties that sought merger approval and has generally screwed over the public good.

So, how would that be so much better???  Hooray for the duopoly.

AJ

First they have to get by the DOJ and have their merger with DirectTV approved. Which is not guaranteed by any means! The obvious buyer is Dish because they actually want a wireless play! They might even buy the T-Mobile network, therefore helping payoff some of the debt. It might even help sell the merger.

Edited by bigsnake49

First they have to get by the DOJ and have their merger with DirectTV approved. Which is not guaranteed by any means!

I would be more concerned about VZ buying Dish. Even the FCC wouldn't let AT&T get a monopoly in the satellite TV market.

Remember what I said about Verizon being way too quiet...yeah. :(

Even the FCC wouldn't let AT&T get a monopoly in the satellite TV market.

But the DoJ and FCC would let Comcast get a major market hegemony in cable???  I guess we shall see.  I expect it happens.

AJ

• Like 1

But the DoJ and FCC would let Comcast get a major market hegemony in cable??? I guess we shall see. I expect it happens.

AJ

Most cable companies are oligopolies. They don't have to compete with other cable companies for the most part. They really don't have to compete with DSL any more. Most wireless isn't real competition to wired broadband.

Comcast is already a monopoly, now they're going to be a bigger one.

• Like 1