Sprint Reportedly Bowing Out of T-Mobile Bid (was "Sprint offer" and "Iliad" threads)

thepowerofdonuts

sprint-logo.jpg

Here we go....Even though the name won't stay. Maybe they should call it Legere Mobile Communications. Every person who signs up for a framily gets a free magenta phone cover.

Like it but put the magenta T in front and shorten the Sprint part at the end and call it Tint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The coverage map is interesting. It's odd that for the spectrum map they include Sprint's WCS holdings which are soon to be in the hands of AT&T, but they neglect to include BRS/EBS. I guess that would turn the entire map purple.  :unsure:

Yeah, it's amazing that they did not include BRS/EBS. The combined company will have plenty of mid and high frequency spectrum but not too much sub 1Ghz spectrum.

Are being agitators a bad thing when it comes to the duopoly?

I could use a Sprint willing to agitate the incumbents. Maybe that Sprint would gain customers again. Maybe that Sprint wouldn't have to merge with T-Mobile to grow! What a wonderful concept.

Sprint once was that agitator. It would be nice to see that return.

• Like 2

Interesting, that map shows more increase in coverage than I think most people assumed. I know it's mostly edge coverage but T-Mobile is working on bringing that up to LTE.

And with the help of Masas deep pockets, that might happen faster than they anticipated.

• Like 1

sprint-logo.jpg

Here we go....Even though the name won't stay. Maybe they should call it Legere Mobile Communications. Every person who signs up for a framily gets a free magenta phone cover.

Good job on the graphic work, but NO!

• Like 1

And with the help of Masas deep pockets, that might happen faster than they anticipated.

Ironically, sprint customers stand to gain a lot more coverage than T-Mobile people do. Especially in the west.
  • Like 1

Ironically, sprint customers stand to gain a lot more coverage than T-Mobile people do. Especially in the west.

But I would assume most of that currently is EDGE, right?

But I would assume most of that currently is EDGE, right?

Yes, but T-Mobile is upgrading those sites to LTE quickly, which would make it so sprint customers could access it with a compatible phone. Now it would take more work to make it voice compatible.

I live in an area where T-Mobile has native coverage (EDGE) and Sprint has not. LTE from Sprint pretty much extends to the river border and doesn't make it over to the Illinois side.

Some boneheaded cell site deployment back in the Alamosa days, I take it. Southern Illinois was served by a bad affiliate.

For too long Sprint relied on First Cellular/Alltel/ATNI to get good coverage here with 3G roaming. Only they didn't deploy that within Randolph County for some reason. Just bizarre stuff. Now that safely blanket is going away, taken by AT&T...which, love them or hate them, is actually providing a second competitive carrier where most people here went with Verizon. ATNI never cared and it showed by their networks. They never tried to compete with Verizon. Their intention was to sell along, whether it be AT&T or Sprint.

The exception to this is Carbondale which always had a strong influx of college students from Chicago. Sprint is oddly strong there now, probably due to Network Vision.

I would guess lots of areas served by affiliates are in similar boats, maybe not as bad, but still not well set up. Not to mention Sprint and Ericsson never fixed the mess.

Like it but put the magenta T in front and shorten the Sprint part at the end and call it Tint.

Just thought of the first post merger commercial if the use my T-int idea. Show a meeting where they try to pick which color to use in the new post merger coverage maps, yellow or magenta. Tempers flare and a fight breaks out. The commercial ends with "Tint vote now" and a URL to vote your preference.

• Like 1

Are being agitators a bad thing when it comes to the duopoly?

When people fail to ask the question "why?", yes, being agitators is a bad thing. People just assume that Legere and company are making moves out of the goodness of their own hearts or because they are cool cats.

I could use a Sprint willing to agitate the incumbents. Maybe that Sprint would gain customers again. Maybe that Sprint wouldn't have to merge with T-Mobile to grow! What a wonderful concept.

A bunch of maybes will get you just a big, fat maybe. Not good enough.  Sprint seems to lose on every maybe.

AJ

• Like 1

When people fail to ask the question "why?", yes, being agitators is a bad thing. People just assume that Legere and company are making moves out of the goodness of their own hearts or because they are cool cats.

A bunch of maybes will get you just a big, fat maybe. Not good enough. Sprint seems to lose on every maybe.

AJ

Rocky And Bullwinkle - Maybe Dick Intro:

As someone acutely aware of Deutsche Telekom's distinctly non-disruptive positioning in other markets, I realize that. I am firmly aware, as I think most people are deep down, of this. DT's Challenger Strategy was laid out initially not by John Legere, but his predecessor, Phillipp Humm. Humm devised this strategy as a plan B after the government blocked the sale of the then T-Mobile USA, now TMUS, to AT&T Inc. Humm then left to go to Vodafone Germany to be closer to his family. (I'm sure you know all of this AJ, but it doesn't hurt to have a little history lesson for the others on the thread.)

A bunch of maybes will get you just a big, fat maybe. Not good enough. Sprint seems to lose on every maybe.

AJ

Sprint has had execution issues for a long time. Changing that culture is a Herculean task. T-Mobile already had the preparation to be disruptive done when Legere took the CEO position at T-Mobile US. Also let's not forget Neville Ray was doing the hard work of network upgrade preparation starting the day the AT&T sale failed. Without that base of work, this is nothing more than a noisy cymbal clanging in the distance.

Yes, but T-Mobile is upgrading those sites to LTE quickly, which would make it so sprint customers could access it with a compatible phone. Now it would take more work to make it voice compatible.

No they can't.  Sprint LTE phones don't have B4 (AWS) LTE support which is needed to connect to the Tmobile LTE network.  Sprint LTE phones only have B25 (1900), B26 (800) and B41 (2.5 GHz) LTE support.  Your so called compatible phones are the Verizon, Tmobile and AT&T variants of that phone that can connect to Tmobile LTE.  Therefore the expansion of Tmobile LTE will not benefit Sprint customers at all at the very moment.

No they can't.  Sprint LTE phones don't have B4 (AWS) LTE support which is needed to connect to the Tmobile LTE network.  Sprint LTE phones only have B25 (1900), B26 (800) and B41 (2.5 GHz) LTE support.  Your so called compatible phones are the Verizon, Tmobile and AT&T variants of that phone that can connect to Tmobile LTE.  Therefore the expansion of Tmobile LTE will not benefit Sprint customers at all at the very moment.

With the exception of the Nexus 5, of course.

• Like 1

You wrote that wrong.  You are supposed to say, "Nexus 5, for the win."  Or, as the Internet kiddies like to do, "Nexus 5, FTW."

AJ

• Like 2

You wrote that wrong. You are supposed to say, "Nexus 5, for the win." Or, as the Internet kiddies like to do, "Nexus 5, FTW."

AJ

And the current generation iDevices.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

As someone acutely aware of Deutsche Telekom's distinctly non-disruptive positioning in other markets, I realize that.

To be clear, I was not at all lumping you or anyone else here in that collective group of "people."  But I remain steadfast that most who are appreciative of the current T-Mobile and Legere view the combo effectively as Santa Claus.  And those folks do not care enough or are not intelligent enough to question "why?".

AJ

• Like 1

And the current generation iDevices.

…which can call 411, but they cannot connect to band 41.

;)

AJ

Is a SprinT-Mobile merger beginning now at the very moment.

…which can call 411, but they cannot connect to band 41.

;)

AJ

I was referring to band 4 LTE. Forgot to specify no Band 41.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2