Sprint agrees to pay $7.5M to FCC in 'Do Not Call' settlement

COZisBack

Sprint agrees to pay $7.5M to FCC in 'Do Not Call' settlement

Sprint has agreed to pay the US government $7.5 million in a record settlement concerning the national "Do Not Call" list.

The Federal Communications Commission announced Monday that its Enforcement Bureau and Sprint came to an agreement regarding the phone company's continued phone and text message marketing to people who had signed up to be on the Do Not Call list. This settlement is the largest of any Do Not Call settlement to date.

I'm thinking this may have happened by retail employees not using the DNC list properly.

• Like 1

Article from Boston Globe:  http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/05/19/fcc-fines-sprint-million-not-call-case/e9JBWC2TDCdsBXNo6i8iFO/story.html

WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission said Sprint will pay $7.5 million in the largest Do Not Call settlement to date for making unwanted telemarketing calls and sending texts to consumers.

The FCC said Monday that Sprint will also put a two-year plan in place to make sure it complies with rules designed to prevent people from receiving unwanted marketing calls.

The settlement follows one in 2011 in which Sprint paid $400,000 because of similar complaints.

Sprint Corp. said the issues with Do Not Call were due to ‘‘technical and inadvertent human errors,’’ which it reported to the FCC. The company also said it has made significant capital investments to improve its Do Not Call/text oversight and compliance.

I expect that Sprint will have to search 2, maybe 3, couch cushions to get the money for this.

Nah, they have this cash flow. Now if it was 7.5 Billion then I'd say it really took a hit.

Hmm, no wonder an FCC Training popped up for us employees to do about a week ago.

Hopefully sprint will get off this salesforce/ cold calling s**t they have been pushing the last year or so that we all hate.

• Like 2

Hopefully sprint will get off this salesforce/ cold calling s**t they have been pushing the last year or so that we all hate.

I feel you on that. I hate cold calling, potential customers hate cold calling, and I would rather not do it to Cover my A$$. If my SM wants me to do that. I will just point her/him to this article.

Salesforce was being pushed when I first was hired back in 2007, it's nothing new (although your local or area management may have been pushing it). An advantage I had though was in my state (AZ) we weren't allowed to utilize it (unsure the exact reasons, I'm assuming something about state laws against it).

Instead our management made us go back through our last 2 years worth of our store's assisted customers to call back about new promotions and such as they were upgrade eligible. This had to be done manually, no automated system at all. Search Back Office for sales from last 2 years, get spreadsheet, look up account for offers and options, call them; one by one.