Galaxy S3 i9305 & 4G on Sprint just outside Providence

brokentelephone

Hi --

I've got a i9305 from the UK, it's a International LTE version of the S3.

I am visiting East Greenwich Rhode Island and want to know if my S3 will work on the 4G network here, and if so, does it have coverage in East Greenwich, Rhode Island?

Here is my band info from gsmarena:

2G Network

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100

4G Network

LTE 800 / 1800 / 2600

Thanks

BT

Check the major 4 carriers maps for YOUR location.  Just a suggestion!  (Side note Sprint is turning on LTE every day/week, become a sponsor on this awesome site and you get more info on Sprint news for 4G LTE!) 

My sister lives in East Greenwich and the last time I was there about two months ago, Sprint did not have 4G LTE in the town (though there was some in nearby areas). I'll be down there again this weekend so I'll be able to give an update on the LTE situation there.

Check the major 4 carriers maps for YOUR location.  Just a suggestion!  (Side note Sprint is turning on LTE every day/week, become a sponsor on this awesome site and you get more info on Sprint news for 4G LTE!) 

What a helpful reply!

I don't know about mobile phone coverage in the USA, hence brought the topic to a public forum where people generally enjoy spending a few moments helping out a stranger.  I do the same for many other topics on various forums on the web, though what I don't do is waste my own time and offer useless advice simply to teach a random person a lesson.

I'm sure I can figure out the 4 major carriers, but as I said, I'm visiting and am not even sure who these big-4 are...!

Any suggestions for best carrier to go with? I don't think I can get 4G anywhere then...

AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM carriers in the US, so your phone may be compatible, probably requiring a US SIM card.  AT&T has better coverage in many places, but T-Mobile may be usable (and less expensive) depending on where you will be (strongest in major urban areas). 

What a helpful reply!

I don't know about mobile phone coverage in the USA, hence brought the topic to a public forum where people generally enjoy spending a few moments helping out a stranger.  I do the same for many other topics on various forums on the web, though what I don't do is waste my own time and offer useless advice simply to teach a random person a lesson.

I'm sure I can figure out the 4 major carriers, but as I said, I'm visiting and am not even sure who these big-4 are...!

Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile. T-Mobile is good if you plan on never ever leaving a major city. Sprint is improving coverage nationwide, soon to be significantly better than Tmobile, and of comparable LTE coverage of ATT. Verizon is the big boss of the group and you'll have LTE in probably most if not all the places you visit. ATT is also fairly good.

check the coverage maps of each of those providers though and find out which one suits you. Verizon and ATT are the most expensive, and have data caps. Sprint offers framily plans with unlimited data plans available, or you could just join someones framily (no contract and bills are separate) or you can join Tmobile who also has unlimited data and no contract (subsidized phones).

Edit: with sprint and verizon, you would have to get a new phone. 

AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM carriers in the US, so your phone may be compatible, probably requiring a US SIM card.  AT&T has better coverage in many places, but T-Mobile may be usable (and less expensive) depending on where you will be (strongest in major urban areas). 

Thank you very much!

Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile. T-Mobile is good if you plan on never ever leaving a major city. Sprint is improving coverage nationwide, soon to be significantly better than Tmobile, and of comparable LTE coverage of ATT. Verizon is the big boss of the group and you'll have LTE in probably most if not all the places you visit. ATT is also fairly good.

check the coverage maps of each of those providers though and find out which one suits you. Verizon and ATT are the most expensive, and have data caps. Sprint offers framily plans with unlimited data plans available, or you could just join someones framily (no contract and bills are separate) or you can join Tmobile who also has unlimited data and no contract (subsidized phones).

Edit: with sprint and verizon, you would have to get a new phone. 

Thanks very much!!!

Here is my band info from gsmarena:

2G Network

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network

HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100

4G Network

LTE 800 / 1800 / 2600

If those band stats are accurate, your international handset in your location is compatible with only AT&T GSM/W-CDMA and T-Mobile GSM.  If you want "3G" service, you have no choice other than AT&T (or an MVNO that rides on the AT&T network).

AJ

If those band stats are accurate, your international handset in your location is compatible with only AT&T GSM/W-CDMA and T-Mobile GSM.  If you want "3G" service, you have no choice other than AT&T (or an MVNO that rides on the AT&T network).

AJ

ATT it is then... thanks!

These phones/bands are so frustrating.  If Apple can make theirs worldwide compatible, I don't see why other manufacturers don't.  I'd go back to an iPhone if they came out with one with a bigger screen, and a back button like Android.

ATT it is then... thanks!

These phones/bands are so frustrating.  If Apple can make theirs worldwide compatible, I don't see why other manufacturers don't.  I'd go back to an iPhone if they came out with one with a bigger screen, and a back button like Android.

The bigger screen is probably coming in September. We find out next month at WWDC.

• Like 1