Top 5% being throttled starting 6/1

No such thing as 30mhz TDD lte carrier. In addition the graph assumes the traditional deployment of a single sector per physical sector per site. It does not take into consideration the 8t8r equipment is running 3 distinct sectors per antenna per sector. In essence a NV 2.0 8T8R site has 9 sectors per site.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Then it sounds like the perfect graph to demonstrate the point I was trying to make about the existing 1900 MHz deployment.

• Like 1

I just want to know what the throttled speed will be. 512, 1mb et. ..

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I'm hoping the only thing that happens is you get pushed down to 3G, because it's difficult to alleviate a saturated air link even with throttling throughput.

EDIT: If LTE doesn't have that problem, I would love to know.

I just want to know what the throttled speed will be. 512, 1mb et. ..

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I don't think there will be a specific speed they throttle to. The FAQ states that "the customer will be subject to network prioritization for the following month." They don't name a hard throttle because there isn't one. High data users will simply have a lower priority attached to their requests.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stats and graphs are not going to sway me or change how I feel about this. I've gone down this road before on a different thread here. If your going to market unlimited it should be that. If I need a lawyer to read through t&c then I believe the marketing is deceptive. I appreciate the data and everyone's opinions.

Sent from my CoziBlurred4.3 gN2

• Like 1

Stats and graphs are not going to sway me or change how I feel about this. I've gone down this road before on a different thread here. If your going to market unlimited it should be that. If I need a lawyer to read through t&c then I believe the marketing is deceptive. I appreciate the data and everyone's opinions.

Just to confirm, you'd rather 35% of connected users get 0 Mbps than for one person to have to have slightly higher latency?

• Like 1

Just to confirm, you'd rather 35% of connected users get 0 Mbps than for one person to have to have slightly higher latency?

never said that your putting words in my mouth.

never said that your putting words in my mouth.

No, I said that, when I posted the stats and graphs. Then you said "Stats and graphs are not going to sway me or change how I feel about this."

I would infer that to mean that you don't agree with the practice. If what you actually meant was that you disagree with the statistical analysis, and that the practice is therefore unnecessary, then I apologize, and I would like to hear your reasoning.

No, I said that, when I posted the stats and graphs. Then you said "Stats and graphs are not going to sway me or change how I feel about this."

I would infer that to mean that you don't agree with the practice. If what you actually meant was that you disagree with the statistical analysis, and that the practice is therefore unnecessary, then I apologize, and I would like to hear your reasoning.

Well my reasoning is I pay for unlimited data. Not unlimited data with a an asterisk and yes I know what the t&c say. If sprints network cannot support unlimited data then they should go to plans based on usage. I'd be more than happy to pay for what plan I fall into or suited my needs. If I go over than charge me. But don't sell me with unlimited then say but. It's bad for buisness. I've been a customer for over 10 years with multiple devices and usually their top of the line devices. Again as I said if this affects me then when the time comes I'll make a choice and I'll live with it.

Let me add this to the conversation....

When the network gets to where it's supposed to get (let's not argue that "when" part) what are you going to do? Go to another provider? You're still going to be under the best situation.

• VZW: Overage charges after allotted plan amount.
  • ATT: Overage charges after allotted plan amount.
  • T-Mo: C'mon son (No pun intended)

My point being is, you're going to be under the same or worst situation going to another provider.

• Like 6

If sprints network cannot support unlimited data then they should go to plans based on usage. I'd be more than happy to pay for what plan I fall into or suited my needs. If I go over than charge me.

So what's the point of the argument? If they offer tiered plans, you're going to see a 5GB plan for the exact price you're theoretically paying for "Unlimited" now. If they offer larger plans, you now paying more, for more data that will still include overage or throttling at some point. In this particular "Unlimited" plan, you will continue to have data after that 5GB without overages, even still seeing LTE speeds on non-congested sites?

Edit: Let me add, this isn't an attack or starting of a dispute, just asking an honest question with stating my viewpoint.

So what's the point of the argument? If they offer tiered plans, you're going to see a 5GB plan for the exact price you're theoretically paying for "Unlimited" now. If they offer larger plans, you now paying more, for more data that will still include overage or throttling at some point. In this particular "Unlimited" plan, you will continue to have data after that 5GB without overages, even still seeing LTE speeds on non-congested sites?

Edit: Let me add, this isn't an attack or starting of a dispute, just asking an honest question with stating my viewpoint.

My point is if when this doesn't work for me I'll look at the other options. The price isn't the concern it's quality of service that meets my needs. If those needs cost me more so be it.

• Like 1

My point is if when this doesn't work for me I'll look at the other options. The price isn't the concern it's quality of service that meets my needs. If those needs cost me more so be it.

Would that option have to be buying a 10GB plan from whatever X provider that would be?

Well whether its 30 or 20 or 10, the fact is that congestion inherently 'throttles' users.

This is much to do about nothing. (other than the explicit prioritization of users/plans/devices).

If they were 'throttling' users on *non-congested* towers and/or at particular gb usage limits, then I can see pitchforks being raised.

Right.  Basically, the use of a few is creating congestion that is unintentionally "throttling" the use of others.  This new policy turns the tables on the cause -- explicitly throttling those who are greatly contributing to the congestion.  I have no problem with that.  Call it operant conditioning.  Reinforce the idea to these few that exceeding 5 GB usage per month leads to throttling, managing data below 5 GB per month leads to no throttling.

AJ

• Like 6

My only thing is won't the top 5% data cap slowly decrease? Might not be much but it will slowly decrease with people actually trying to keep an eye on data and such.

• Like 2

I agree with AJ. If I used over 5gb a month, I would gladly accept throttling if it means a usable network across the board for everyone.  Again, its still unlimited...it's just slower and this is all occurring only during peak congestion hours, for the benefit of EVERYONE. Doesn't sound so bad.

• Like 4

Would that option have to be buying a 10GB plan from whatever X provider that would be?

unfortunately as I really do like sprint. I've had great experiences with their customer service.

My only thing is won't the top 5% data cap slowly decrease? Might not be much but it will slowly decrease with people actually trying to keep an eye on data and such.

Yes, it will.  The policy may need to be adjusted over time.  And that is why Sprint set the current threshold at 5 GB per month.  That is wise.  AT&T enacted a similar top 5 percent policy several years ago but was not at all transparent about the usage required to ascend into that top 5 percent, leading to much relevant criticism.

AJ

• Like 1

I would appreciate it if someone would be willing to sample in other major forums and comment sections what the popular response is to this new top 5 percent throttling policy, then report back the consensus and some highlights.  I would do it myself, but I fear the worst from uninformed, angry people, and that just might cause me to have an aneurysm.

AJ

• Like 8

unfortunately as I really do like sprint. I've had great experiences with their customer service.

I honestly don't think it will become an issue. But, I'm guessing you're going to see more plan options coming out. If they're going to set a hard limit of 5GB, you'll see a 10GB unlimited plan released.

I would appreciate it if someone would be willing to sample in other major forums and comment sections what the popular response is to this new top 5 percent throttling policy, then report back the consensus and some highlights.  I would do it myself, but I fear the worst from uninformed, angry people, and that just might cause me to have an aneurysm.

AJ

You may want to read this away from sharp objects:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1832675-Sprint-to-start-Throttling-the-top-5-of-data-users

• Like 1

I honestly don't think it will become an issue. But, I'm guessing you're going to see more plan options coming out. If they're going to set a hard limit of 5GB, you'll see a 10GB unlimited plan released.

Well i guess we will see. Either way I'd hate to leave. And on a side note I didn't take your statements as argumentative.

• Like 1