Google to give Nexus the boot?

So, according to this link— androidauthority.com/android-silver-retiring-nexus-374512/ —and many others, Google plans to kick the Nexus line to the curb and start up "Android Silver" —which is basically Google Play Edition with more +'s. According gto Android Authority, there will be minimal bloatware, and all bloated apps must be easily uninstalled without rooting the device. Also, Google will tell the manufacturers the specs that the device must have. There's more to read on their site, but what I wanted to ask is this: Do you think Google is ready to abandon the Nexus line and start Android Silver? Why or why not? As for myself, I have no idea. It doesn't seem likely but anything can happen in the phone world.

• Like 1

It's beneficial for Google to demand this move. You'll now get the majority of flagship devices in Google Editions with the options of having them on any (most) provider with the release of the latest Android updates.

It's taking the Nexus line to greater heights under a new name.

• Like 3

So, according to this link— androidauthority.com/android-silver-retiring-nexus-374512/ —and many others, Google plans to kick the Nexus line to the curb and start up "Android Silver" —which is basically Google Play Edition with more +'s. According gto Android Authority, there will be minimal bloatware, and all bloated apps must be easily uninstalled without rooting the device. Also, Google will tell the manufacturers the specs that the device must have. There's more to read on their site, but what I wanted to ask is this: Do you think Google is ready to abandon the Nexus line and start Android Silver? Why or why not? As for myself, I have no idea. It doesn't seem likely but anything can happen in the phone world.

I don't think Google would at this point and time. It would essentially ruin their main goal with the nexus line, a flagship phone at or less than half the cost of all the others (excluding the new CM1+1). Unless the respective phone makers allowed them to set the cost of gpe phones which I highly doubt, considering they've been even more expensive in the past. Plus with nexus devices (including tablets) becoming increasingly more popular I'd think Google would be actually making profit off them now even if they sell them at a loss. Why ruin an increasingly more useful product line when they have no need to?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't think Google would at this point and time. It would essentially ruin their main goal with the nexus line, a flagship phone at or less than half the cost of all the others (excluding the new CM1+1).

There have already been talks of the 2014 Nexus 5 (or whatever) being the final release. Even though rumors, I see it as a possibility. Google's attempt at having an affordable smartphone is still being outshined by the flagship devices of HTC, LG and Samsung.

As much as I love the Nexus smartphone, the swing of "smart-pay" like options are changing a lot of buyers thoughts on cost of smartphones.

• Like 1

There have already been talks of the 2014 Nexus 5 (or whatever) being the final release. Even though rumors, I see it as a possibility. Google's attempt at having an affordable smartphone is still being outshined by the flagship devices of HTC, LG and Samsung.

As much as I love the Nexus smartphone, the swing of "smart-pay" like options are changing a lot of buyers thoughts on cost of smartphones.

I fully understand why they'd be throwing it around, and the reasons behind it. However I also see a slew of reasons why to not do it. Honestly I'd like to see more gpe phones (especially Samsung considering how hard it is to root and unlock them now) and the nexus phones stick around for those who want a high quality device at a more affordable price point.

• Like 1

I fully understand why they'd be throwing it around, and the reasons behind it. However I also see a slew of reasons why to not do it. Honestly I'd like to see more gpe phones (especially Samsung considering how hard it is to root and unlock them now) and the nexus phones stick around for those who want a high quality device at a more affordable price point.

Agreed. Hopefully we get the both of best. Hell, they may just roll the "Nexus Type" device into this new line. Just at an affordable price.

• Like 1

Agreed. Hopefully we get the both of best. Hell, they may just roll the "Nexus Type" device into this new line. Just at an affordable price.

I don't think I would go to anything other than the next Nexus after having the Nexus5.  Just a huge breath of fresh air after doing ROMs for HTC and Samsung.  I didn't have to do my own ROM for the Nexus5 and there's a huge reason why.

• Like 9

I don't think Google would at this point and time. It would essentially ruin their main goal with the nexus line, a flagship phone at or less than half the cost of all the others (excluding the new CM1+1). Unless the respective phone makers allowed them to set the cost of gpe phones which I highly doubt, considering they've been even more expensive in the past. Plus with nexus devices (including tablets) becoming increasingly more popular I'd think Google would be actually making profit off them now even if they sell them at a loss. Why ruin an increasingly more useful product line when they have no need to?

LOL, how can they make a profit even if they are selling them at a loss?  Anyway, Google's intent with the nexus line was never to make a profit.   Nexus devices, which were mainly geared towards developers/enthusiast, where never meant to be as mainstream as iphone/galaxy devices, if that was the case you would have seen google themselves pushing to move units by marketing/advertising as much as apple and samsung.  Google makes their money off of ad revenue so whatever profit they may have gotten from hardware sales would be too small to even quantify when compared to their main revenue source which is ad revenue. 

• Like 2

I don't think I would go to anything other than the next Nexus after having the Nexus5.  Just a huge breath of fresh air after doing ROMs for HTC and Samsung.  I didn't have to do my own ROM for the Nexus5 and there's a huge reason why.

If the n5 continues to be the king of lte connectivity, I will probably keep mines until the wheels fall off regardless of whatever device comes out.

• Like 1

If the n5 continues to be the king of lte connectivity, I will probably keep mines until the wheels fall off regardless of whatever device comes out.

I think that's why I'm in the hunt for one, in the price range I want to spend off contract.

• Like 1

I wonder if there has been considerable Nexus pushback from Android handset OEMs.  Basically, they get to manufacture high end handsets for Google, which then sells them at a cut rate, thereby undercutting the OEMs' own branded flagships.  Like it or not, Google, unlike Apple, needs the triumvirate of Samsung, HTC, and LG.  Otherwise, Android is in deep trouble, since Google's full vertical integration via Motorola did not last long at all.

AJ

• Like 2

I wonder if there has been considerable Nexus pushback from Android handset OEMs.  Basically, they get to manufacture high end handsets for Google, which then sells them at a cut rate, thereby undercutting the OEMs' own branded flagships.  Like it or not, Google, unlike Apple, needs the triumvirate of Samsung, HTC, and LG.  Otherwise, Android is in deep trouble, since Google's full vertical integration via Motorola did not last long at all.

AJ

On top of that AJ the Nexus line was always meant to push development of Android. Perhaps Google feels that they have accomplished that. I also heard that Google owning Motorola caused issues with the OEM's. I would not be surprised if the promise to sell Motorola and a bigger piece of the "Nexus" prize kept the OEM's happy.

• Like 1

Amen to that. 

• Like 3

Amen to that. 

Times three. On my Galaxy Nexus I always felt as thought I needed a Custom ROM (CM) to have the phone working as well as it could (which was till a little wonky at times... !@%$ the trash CDMA radio they put in that thing, I am no longer in denial about that digiblur)... the Nexus 5 on Stock 4.4.2 does exactly what I need it to, and flawlessly, no BS.

Long live Nexus (or whatever Google decides to call it)...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/05/lg-device-snapdragon-810-chipset-rumored-android-silver-product.html

So the rumos is Nexus is dead. I know this might be off topic but I'm wondering what nexus 5 owners feel about this.

The same feeling when evleaks said the LG D820 was not the nexus 5. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 8

That article is terrible. All evleaks said is there won't be a nexus 6... Which means It will simply be called something else.

Wouldn't there be a copyright issue with Nexus 6? Isn't t at the line of replicates in the Blade Runner book and movie?

Wouldn't there be a copyright issue with Nexus 6? Isn't t at the line of replicates in the Blade Runner book and movie?

Different uses of the name, so no.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Different uses of the name, so no.

Maybe not. Verizon licensed Droid didn't they? Then again I have no clue. I'm just arm chair quarter backing this one.

Maybe not. Verizon licensed Droid didn't they? Then again I have no clue. I'm just arm chair quarter backing this one.

Yeah Verizon licensed droid from lucasfilm because they had a trademark on the word Droid. Blade runner also referenced Nexus 4s and 5s so I can't see the Nexus 6 being an issue. They don't have a trademark for the use of nexus 6 either.

Blade runner also referenced Nexus 4s and 5s so I can't see the Nexus 6 being an issue. They don't have a trademark for the use of nexus 6 either.

Make the Nexus 6 a "pleasure model," and it will not be an issue. In fact, it will be a huge hit among this crowd.

AJ

• Like 1

Meh, if it's different in name only, I'm fine with no Nexus 6.  That said, I have a bad feeling that the low pricing will be out the window, at least for (near) top of the line hardware.  I'm just going to wait until more details come out regarding the Nexus and Android Silver.  To get too worked up before that isn't really worth the effort.