Sprint Q1 2014 Earnings

marioc21

Sprint has already played the price game and gotten bad press and lost customers when they tried to correct the price issue so I do not think they will go much lower then they are right now. However, they can certainly add value to their plans. Free hotspot comes to mind. They should also enter into agreements with other companies like GOGO for wifi coverage. Heck, maybe even purchase gogo  In fact, the only thing that ATT customers have that makes me jealous is AT&T's wifi network.

Gogo might be vulnerable now. Their stock tumbled 29% today to $13 after AT&T unveiled plans to launch a similar in-flight service. The decline takes Gogo's stock price below the $17 price of its initial public offering in June 2013.

• Like 2

Except for a slightly stronger signal from the Hotspot device, I really do not see the need to get one (or continue to use one) and instead just enable the hotspot feature on my phone.

People with no landline broadband available, like myself!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nothing like sharing a single T1 line with 20 other people.

There is nothing that says you are married to that T-1 connection. Any wifi  provider can do better than that if they choose to.

I still don't know what they're doing with the 900MHz spectrum. I know the plan is to form a 3MHz LTE band in that spectrum, but do they really want another little sliver in yet another band? Can they make a deal to move Solinc+others to 900Mhz and have full use of the 7MHz spectrum throughout the country minus IBEZ? Or swap their holdings in the 900Mhz band for 800Mhz spectrum and reband to give themselves 10Mhz in the SMR band? I know it will take a while to do that, but the 900Mhz band will also take a long time to implement. Or even sell their holding in the 900MHz band?

I'm sure the return wouldn't be worth it, BUT would there be a benefit in some areas of moving the CDMA signal to 900mhz and using 800 for LTE only?

I'm sure the return wouldn't be worth it, BUT would there be a benefit in some areas of moving the CDMA signal to 900mhz and using 800 for LTE only?

I doubt it, that would require new devices.

Not only would you need all-new user equipment to even connect to it, but it would roll back much of the progress of Network Vision.

The purpose of making an LTE network in 900 MHz is for public safety and machine-to-machine communication. There should be enough bandwidth after the narrowband channels are deinterlaced to do VoLTE and small data transfer.

S shot up over 11% today, so no matter how you interpret the results yourself, it looks like investors are pleased..

-Mike

I am definitely very happy today! 

I'm now listening to the recording of the earnings call.  For all those who were asking when Sprint was going to start advertising the Network, it looks like Sprint has already started.  They're using the tag line "America's Newest Network"  Hesse said they have started that campaign in 20 markets and will be expanding it further.

Well I sure as hell hope they hold off on advertising in the Charlotte market until they do something about our backhaul issues. Increase site density, get the NCDPS off of 800, or use microwave temp backhaul at all sites without it.

There is nothing that says you are married to that T-1 connection. Any wifi  provider can do better than that if they choose to.

I wish they would. At least Starbucks is slowly dumping AT&T's 1.5 Mbps Wi-Fi for Google 15 Mbps Wi-Fi across all its stores. But I learned a long time ago not to bother with any APs named attwifi, especially at Starbucks and McDonald's. NV 3G is faster unless you're the only person in the store.

• Like 3

Just notice they in the article it states... " SoftBank and Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE), which owns about 67 percent of T-Mobile, are still speaking with each other to determine who would run the company, the people said. T-Mobile CEO John Legere is the leading candidate, one of the people said. "

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Letting Legere lead the company, at least theoretically, is a ploy to quell the magentan coup which is sure to occur as well as help ensure the government the new entity will perpetuate tmo's perceived competitiveness.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yeah, I think the Legere thing is simply a cover to keep the "Pretty in Pink" users happy. Speaking of pink, today is the 10th anniversary of Mean Girls. Wearing pink on Wednesday is totally fetch.

That's my metro moment of the day.

• Like 4

Yeah, I think the Legere thing is simply a cover to keep the "Pretty in Pink" users happy. Speaking of pink, today is the 10th anniversary of Mean Girls. Wearing pink on Wednesday is totally fetch.

That's my metro moment of the day.

Fetch? Apparently, I'm not keeping up with today's lingo.

• Like 3

People with no landline broadband available, like myself!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

What a lot of you don't always remember, there are some of us like mrknowitall526 and myself who wish we could get even halfway decent DSL. Yes DSL, so having a Sprint hotspot is a lifeline.

No hotspot, no internet, no other option.

• Like 2

I would be interested to understand what the average sprint data usage of the churning customers looks like. My fear is that it is lower than sprints typical metric. Make no mistake, the price aggressions from sprints competitors is playing a role in the churn. Its not 100% network disturbance. I worry that as sprint churns its course through 2014, we are losing more profitable "light to moderate" data users and hanging on to the hogs. The time to bask in the glory of NV 1.0 is also gone. Its all Spark now and it cant wait 3 or 4 years.

Hoping we will hear something of Son's thoughts and strategies in the next few weeks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

100% anecdotal, but my mom is a very light user (250mb a month or less) and shes leaving Sprint when her contract ends in June because the Fresno market is still in 2007. Her problem isnt even how unreliable data is - its the year+ of dropped and missed calls because NV 1.0 hasnt even rolled into town. At this point, price isnt even on the radar, she just wants dependable service. Shes been with Sprint for almost 4 years. (two phones).

I think it would be interesting to see a market breakdown. Id expect areas that have their NV act together (Boston, Chicago) would see an increase or hold steady, while places like Fresno, Sacramento, Hawaii etc would see (significant) losses. You can only hear "NV coming soon!" for so long before you want to throw your phone at the wall.

Im fine with my service (central jersey market), but I see the good part of Sprint losing customers - it gives them a kick in the ass to do better. I still dont understand pushing through the framily price hike when the network updates werent done yet. I think that was a very poor business decision. Meanwhile all the competitors have responded with lower rates.

Im saddened that the Japanese takeover hasnt resulted in any short-term customer retention strategies or incentives. If things hold steady, Id expect the same for next quarter.

• Like 3

I think it would be interesting to see a market breakdown. Id expect areas that have their NV act together (Boston, Chicago) would see an increase or hold steady, while places like Fresno, Sacramento, Hawaii etc would see (significant) losses. You can only hear "NV coming soon!" for so long before you want to throw your phone at the wall.

Hesse said churn was much less in any market that that has been at least 70% covered with LTE for 10 months. Subscriber losses were everywhere else.

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/4g-lte/sprint-lte-tdd-speed-boost-coming-soon/d/d-id/708825