Sprint Q1 2014 Earnings

marioc21

I would be interested to understand what the average sprint data usage of the churning customers looks like. My fear is that it is lower than sprints typical metric. Make no mistake, the price aggressions from sprints competitors is playing a role in the churn. Its not 100% network disturbance. I worry that as sprint churns its course through 2014, we are losing more profitable "light to moderate" data users and hanging on to the hogs. The time to bask in the glory of NV 1.0 is also gone. Its all Spark now and it cant wait 3 or 4 years.

Hoping we will hear something of Son's thoughts and strategies in the next few weeks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It's just an anecdotal observation from my perch, but it seems as most of the hogs have moved (or planning to move) to T-Mobile. Hogs have been the biggest complainers of the Sprint network condition. Because they can't hog it fast enough. The network acts like an artificial data cap.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

Finishing NV 1.0 and aggressively rolling out NV 2.0 is a must, but Sprint's success is also dependent on whether AT&T and Verizon lower their price per GB in an escalating price war.

AT&T has already lowered their prices...

AT&T has already lowered their prices...

Although it's not something I commonly tout, I am paying $50 per month less for 4 lines on AT&T than I did with Sprint. Granted my phones are not subsidized and I have a data cap. But it does go to show how much AT&T has lowered pricing. The same plan a year ago would have cost me $50 more per month than Sprint.

• Like 1

I'm now listening to the recording of the earnings call.  For all those who were asking when Sprint was going to start advertising the Network, it looks like Sprint has already started.  They're using the tag line "America's Newest Network"  Hesse said they have started that campaign in 20 markets and will be expanding it further. 

Although it's not something I commonly tout, I am paying $50 per month less for 4 lines on AT&T than I did with Sprint. Granted my phones are not subsidized and I have a data cap. But it does go to show how much AT&T has lowered pricing. The same plan a year ago would have cost me $50 more per month than Sprint.

Well, just to fair to Sprint. Now that I'm on a Framily plan I'm paying about $100 per month less to Sprint for 3 lines than I was before Framily. If you get to the magic 7 lines on a Framily plan there's not really anything out there that tops it for price. But it's nice to see that there is some price competition everywhere. 

I am paying $186 with tax for 4 lines, all unsubsidized, for 10GB/month. I will switch those lines to Sprint when their networks is up to par.

Well, just to fair to Sprint. Now that I'm on a Framily plan I'm paying about $100 per month less to Sprint for 3 lines than I was before Framily. So it's nice to see that there is some price competition everywhere.

I wasn't trying to be fair and cover all points. I just wanted to illustrate how far AT&T has lowered their pricing. Sprint's Framily plans with large groups is definitely the best value in the business.

I wasn't trying to be fair and cover all points. I just wanted to illustrate how far AT&T has lowered their pricing. Sprint's Framily plans with large groups is definitely the best value in the business.

Now if only we'd start seeing price competition on actual phone prices. 

If Sprint's network is up to par in your area and the areas you travel, then yes.

Now if only we'd start seeing price competition on actual phone prices.

You will see that when people hold on to their handsets for a lot longer since they have to pay full price. What we might see is that you might get a bundle price from the handset makers.

I'm now listening to the recording of the earnings call. For all those who were asking when Sprint was going to start advertising the Network, it looks like Sprint has already started. They're using the tag line "America's Newest Network" Hesse said they have started that campaign in 20 markets and will be expanding it further.

Thanks Marioc!!! Let us know any interesting tidbits...

One good thing about the quarter: Sprint said its wireless adjusted EBITDA margin clocked in at 25.3 percent in the quarter, up from 19.2 percent in the same quarter a year ago. Stil nowhere close where it needs to be, in the 35-39% range.

Sprint needs a better phone unlocking policy which will be addressed by next year. They need there network done by yesterday. They need to revamp there hotspot plans like doing something that tmobile is doing and give people that have the 1gb or 3gb plan free hotspot data. I dont know why they have to pay more if they are not unlimited. They should give unlimited customers 500mb of free hotspot data also. Last is they should try and get more tablets because right now they have the worst selection of all carriers. No LG G Pad, no Nexus 7, no Galaxy note 10.1, none of the new pro tablets and none of the new nokia or windows tabs in general. They basically only have ipads and old galaxy tabs. Triband tablets are also a dream right now. I sold my tab 3 because my phone would out perform it due to the lack of triband.

• Like 4

There is some mention of new announcements regarding Framily plan innovation coming later today.  I wonder if that's tied into the audio (Spotify) announcement that Sprint has scheduled for later today? 

I still want to see what they do with Dish and fixed wireless. If they abandon their pursuit of T-Mobile, I would like for them to make a deal with Dish. For me, a swap of Block H+adjacent Dish spectrum for some EBS spectrum (to be used for fixed/nomadic broadband) would be very beneficial. Plus some money for hosting said fixed broadband

• Like 1

Finished listening to call. Nothing noteworthy. Same as last call. NV 1.0 will be substantially complete by mid-year. HD voice calling will deployed by mid-year. Will expand Spark to 100 mill pops by year-end. 

Here's a fiercewireless writeup of the call:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-loses-231k-postpaid-subs-launches-americas-newest-network-campaign-2/2014-04-29

I'll post a link to the written transcript when it's available. 

• Like 2

You will see that when people hold on to their handsets for a lot longer since they have to pay full price. What we might see is that you might get a bundle price from the handset makers. 

As more and more people move to unsubsidized plans we'll see that.  The big change will come when the carriers stop paying commissions to 3rd party retailers like Best Buy, WalMart, etc. for signing up people for 2 year service contracts.  That's probably a long ways off though. 

I still don't know what they're doing with the 900MHz spectrum. I know the plan is to form a 3MHz LTE band in that spectrum, but do they really want another little sliver in yet another band? Can they make a deal to move Solinc+others to 900Mhz and have full use of the 7MHz spectrum throughout the country minus IBEZ? Or swap their holdings in the 900Mhz band for 800Mhz spectrum and reband to give themselves 10Mhz in the SMR band? I know it will take a while to do that, but the 900Mhz band will also take a long time to implement. Or even sell their holding in the 900MHz band?

Edited by bigsnake49

It's just an anecdotal observation from my perch, but it seems as most of the hogs have moved (or planning to move) to T-Mobile. Hogs have been the biggest complainers of the Sprint network condition. Because they can't hog it fast enough. The network acts like an artificial data cap.

Sounds about right.  T-Mobile has recently increased unlimited by 10/month.

Interesting that T-Mobile will monetize hogs.  Probably smart to offer both data buckets without overages for people who are looking to save and unlimited for hogs.

We've seen sprint do this with the framily 1GB/unlimited.  I suspect unlimited will stick around but become increasingly more expensive to reflect the actual costs of unlimited customers.

I hope you are right. The pricing environment for light to moderate users is very aggressive. I expect that a heavy data user who isnt in a strong tmo area stays with sprint through the hiccups while a light to moderate user who checks his average usage and experiences issues is more likely to churn.

I would love to crunch and compare these kind of stats.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sounds about right.  T-Mobile has recently increased unlimited by 10/month.

Interesting that T-Mobile will monetize hogs.  Probably smart to offer both data buckets without overages for people who are looking to save and unlimited for hogs.

We've seen sprint do this with the framily 1GB/unlimited.  I suspect unlimited will stick around but become increasingly more expensive to reflect the actual costs of unlimited customers.

I fully agree with you. They need to rationalize their data plans so the hogs can pay their fair share and the low/medium users can get their plan prices reduced. 

Well, looks like the Sprint audio related announcement is going on right now. Looks like nothing more than special edition HTC One M8 with high end speakers.

Spoke too soon. Also announced 6 months free Spotify to framily plan members. After that $8 per month.

http://m.androidcentral.com/sprint-announce-harman-kardon-version-htc-one-m8?utm_source=ac&utm_medium=dlvrit

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Oh I get it. They are applying the framily fórmula to the Spotify sub. If you get 1-5 of your family to sign up its $8 per month. If you get 6 or more to sign up it drops to $5 per month.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

And I would like to see all the carriers, not just Sprint, to rationalize the data offerings with respect to tablets/laptops. If I buy 10GB/mo it should not matter how it's split among all the devices. It should be, let's say, $120 for the base 10GB plan and then $10/device no matter what device. 

Edited by bigsnake49

Topic Merged as discussion was already in place.

• Like 1