New FCC rules to count all of Sprint's Spectrum

floorguy

Frankly, I can't understand why many people seem to think Sprint shouldn't spend money on AWS 3. The feds already said they are leery of a T-Mobile buyout by Sprint/Softbank, and that all future transactions will include the BRS/EBS in the spectrum screen. Since the next 2 auctions aren't subject to said screen, I think that Sprint should participate in the AWS 3 auction, and build out an LTE network on AWS 3 as well for capacity purposes. If they can get another 10 MHz nationwide or more, then that's just icing on the cake. Remember, Sprint is doing CA on the Clearwire Spectrum, so that doesn't stop them from doing CA on the FDD/LTE spectrum they own as well. CA with 800SMR, AWS 3, & PCS would yield up to 15 x 15 in many markets. That would yield some pretty decent data speeds.

How difficult is it for future upgrades to the network like this? Would the NV antenna units on the rack be capable of transmitting a signal over the AWS band with an RRU upgrade/addition?

How difficult is it for future upgrades to the network like this? Would the NV antenna units on the rack be capable of transmitting a signal over the AWS band with an RRU upgrade/addition?

I'm not sure. I don't think they could without putting up new antennas but I don't know for sure. But the AWS 3 would benefit Sprint with their CCA/NetAmerica partners the most.

New antennas and radios. Network Vision 800/1900 ones are $3000-4000 a pop and you have to replace all of them to get AWS capability and then you have to replace them all again in a few years for 600 mhz capability. 8T8R B41 ones are about $5000 a pop. 

It's a huge amount of capex just to add a new band just because. The capex is better off saved for spending on the 600 mhz auction and deployment of equipment for that spectrum. 

New antennas and radios. Network Vision 800/1900 ones are $3000-4000 a pop and you have to replace all of them to get AWS capability and then you have to replace them all again in a few years for 600 mhz capability. 8T8R B41 ones are about $5000 a pop. 

It's a huge amount of capex just to add a new band just because. The capex is better off saved for spending on the 600 mhz auction and deployment of equipment for that spectrum. 

Who's to say they can't just wait to win in the 600 auction and deploy 600/AWS dual band equipment, and then deploy 600 when tv stations vacate it? Saves on 1700/2100 equipment. I can't imagine the hideous size of Quad band or Penta band Antennas if they chose to deploy them! :blink:

• Like 2

Who's to say they can't just wait to win in the 600 auction and deploy 600/AWS dual band equipment, and then deploy 600 when tv stations vacate it? Saves on 1700/2100 equipment. I can't imagine the hideous size of Quad band or Penta band Antennas if they chose to deploy them! :blink:

Exactly. That's what AT&T did -- they deployed dual-band 700/AWS antennas during their 700 rollout, and now they're going back and adding AWS for capacity.

I wouldn't call it completely out of reach for Sprint to do this, but I don't see them doing it unless it's to use Dish's AWS spectrum; I can't see them spending money on AWS spectrum at this point when they don't need it.

What does aws get Sprint? More high band spectrum? They doent need that at all. They haven't even deployed the 2.6 they have. From my understanding with the 8r8t the coverage differences between 2.6 and aws is negelgable. What does Sprint need? More spectrum that can penitrate buildings, that is 600. It would be miss management for Sprint to spend limited capex on aws. Softbank did not bring unlimited capital nor are they going to make investments that aren't going to make a return. Where is the return on spending billions for aws and then billions to build it out?

From my understanding with the 8r8t the coverage differences between 2.6 and ass...

If I were Sprint, I would keep the BRS/EBS and also try to get some ass.  I mean, after all, who does not want to get some ass?

:P

AJ

• Like 7