Rumored FCC 600 mhz auction rules[ATT / VZW Restricted!]

linhpham2

Every carrier could bid for the spectrum, which would be mostly paired in 5 MHz blocks in markets across the U.S, the report said. However, crucially, if bidding by carriers reaches a to-be-determined threshold price, the FCC would set aside up to 30 percent of the licenses for companies that don't currently control a lot of spectrum nearby. Such a move could push Verizon and AT&T to outbid each other for the unrestricted licenses. The Re/code report also said the FCC has proposed setting limits on restricted licenses so the winners couldn't immediately sell them to Verizon and AT&T.

Under Wheeler's new proposal for the screen, spectrum held by Sprint and Dish that was previously excluded from the screen would now be included. Verizon and AT&T have pushed heavily for that outcome. For Sprint specifically, that would mean the carrier's 120 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum that it owns in 90 percent of the top 100 U.S. markets would be taken into account in a spectrum screen.

Edited by COZisBack
Edited for copyright protection.

Every carrier could bid for the spectrum, which would be mostly paired in 5 MHz blocks in markets across the U.S, the report said. However, crucially, if bidding by carriers reaches a to-be-determined threshold price, the FCC would set aside up to 30 percent of the licenses for companies that don't currently control a lot of spectrum nearby. Such a move could push Verizon and AT&T to outbid each other for the unrestricted licenses. The Re/code report also said the FCC has proposed setting limits on restricted licenses so the winners couldn't immediately sell them to Verizon and AT&T.

Under Wheeler's new proposal for the screen, spectrum held by Sprint and Dish that was previously excluded from the screen would now be included. Verizon and AT&T have pushed heavily for that outcome. For Sprint specifically, that would mean the carrier's 120 MHz of 2.5 GHz spectrum that it owns in 90 percent of the top 100 U.S. markets would be taken into account in a spectrum screen.

The most important part of the article.

Bloomberg also reported, according to unnamed sources, that the FCC is contemplating rules for the auction that could limit how much spectrum Verizon Wireless (NYSE:VZ) and AT&T Mobility (NYSE:T) could acquire in the auction. Sprint (NYSE:S), T-Mobile US (NYSE:TMUS), U.S. Cellular (NYSE:USM), Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) and an array of groups, including the Competitive Carriers Association, have urged the FCC to adopt such restrictions.

• Like 2

Well if they count the 120mhz of 2500/2600 mhz spectrum it will limit the amount of 600 sprint can get. Thank goodness for the rural alliance

• Like 1

Well if they count the 120mhz of 2500/2600 mhz spectrum it will limit the amount of 600 sprint can get. Thank goodness for the rural alliance

It's rumored that the 2500/2600 spectrum won't be counted in the 600 mhz incentive auction. But will for everything else later on.

It's rumored that the 2500/2600 spectrum won't be counted in the 600 mhz incentive auction. But will for everything else later on.

In the post it said the previously uncounted spectrum would count.

in the fierce wireless article, in the last paragraph it said the 2500/2600 spectrum wouldn't be counted in the 600 mhz incentive auction

in the fierce wireless article, in the last paragraph it said the 2500/2600 spectrum wouldn't be counted in the 600 mhz incentive auction

Good.  Let the leased EBS 2600 MHz count toward the spectrum screen for the AWS-3 auction.  Absent a merger with T-Mobile, Sprint wants no part of that band -- the AWS-1/AWS-3 ship has sailed -- so any change in the screen would be irrelevant to Sprint.

AJ

• Like 1

While 30% is good that also means that 70% has unrestricted bidding for AT&T and Verizon. Which basically means that 70% of the 600 band will go to them because nobody (unless dish decides to jump in) has enough money to go against them. That's a lot of low band spectrum. I would rather see a more even 50/50 split maybe even more to make sure no one group controls too much of the 600 band

• Like 1

Does AT&T and Verizon even need any more lower frequency spectrum from a capacity/coverage standpoint? The only reason I can see them bidding on swaths of it would be to retain their market power so they may keep their advantage in coverage & propagation capabilities they already have with 700mhz.

I honestly don't think that the high amount of high frequency spectrum Sprint or any other smaller carrier currently has should have an impact on the 600mhz auction. It's not so much about capacity that is important with this auction- I feel it's more about long-term viability the spectrum can provide smaller carriers.

• Like 1

Does AT&T and Verizon even need any more lower frequency spectrum from a capacity/coverage standpoint? The only reason I can see them bidding on swaths of it would be to retain their market power so they may keep their advantage in coverage & propagation capabilities they already have with 700mhz.

I honestly don't think that the high amount of high frequency spectrum Sprint or any other smaller carrier currently has should have an impact on the 600mhz auction. It's not so much about capacity that is important with this auction- I feel it's more about long-term viability the spectrum can provide smaller carriers.

Verizon no, AT&T yes.

• Like 1

In everything I read, it appeared to me that the high frequency spectrum would count against companies after this auction, and from then on indefinitely. Not prior to the auction.

The purpose of this is that 600MHz allows the FCC to right the anticompetitive wrongs in low frequency spectrum. Afterward, the playing field would have been leveled. So the full screen should be in effect.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

At&t is attempting to bluff it seems.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-may-sit-auction-fcc-175618626.html

AT&T may sit out auction if FCC spectrum plan is adopted   By Alina Selyukh

• WASHINGTON, April 16 (Reuters) - AT&T Inc might sit out a major U.S. auction of airwaves if regulators adopt rules that reserve some of the spectrum for smaller rivals, the No. 2 wireless company said in a filing released on Wednesday.

• Like 2

They are full of it cause even if they wanted to sit out they most definitely couldn't just because of the fact that sprint and mobile could pick a lot up then and then be able to catch up a lot easier.

• 4 weeks later...

US Cellular is not happy with the rules: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/us-cellular-signals-opposition-reserved-spectrum-plan-600-mhz-auction/2014-05-09

"We indicated that given a choice between the current proposal and a proposal that did not differentiate between reserved and unreserved spectrum, that we would prefer the latter," the carrier wrote. "We also indicated that our previous comments filed in this docket proposed a simple limitation on the amount of spectrum any carrier could win in any auction at no more than 25 percent. We continue to support such a proposal."

• Like 2

In everything I read, it appeared to me that the high frequency spectrum would count against companies after this auction, and from then on indefinitely. Not prior to the auction.

The purpose of this is that 600MHz allows the FCC to right the anticompetitive wrongs in low frequency spectrum. Afterward, the playing field would have been leveled. So the full screen should be in effect.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

The screen would count for everything except the AWS-3 and 600MHz auctions. That includes transactions that occur after the screen is approved and before either auction. It boxes Sprint into a cage, forcing the company to bid in those auctions.

• Like 1

Well, the fact that EBS is included in the screen is concerning to me because it forces Sprint's hand. I have long advocated that Sprint do something with EBS with the most preferable being exchange it for Dish's spectrum and then host it for them for fixed broadband. Now they definitely need to do it which means Dish can drive a hard bargain.