T-mobile to stop overage fee

jonathanm1978

Ledgehair is petitioning for carriers to follow suit and do away with overages. Doesn't mean free data/texts/etc though, details below:

T-Mobile stops overage fees, starts petition pressuring other carriers to follow suit

Most of us have been hit with overage charges at one point or another in our smartphone-owning years. It hurts. The penalties for exceeding your allotted monthly data, texts, or voice minutes can be outrageous. So T-Mobile capped off its week-long spate of Uncarrier announcements with a new campaign to abolish the industry-wide practice of overage charges.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere started a petition Monday...

http://www.techhive.com/article/2143122/t-mobile-ends-overage-charges-challenges-atandt-verizon-to-follow-suit.html#tk.rss_all

You know this whole UnCarrier movement they have going on it quite hilarious to me. Since they're the smallest of the four, they attempt to yell the loudest. Even when it doesn't make sense.

I'm just waiting for the moment when they've invited too many to the party and all the food and liquor are gone. That's when they'll go from a Carrier to a UnCarrier.

• Like 4

Ledgehair is petitioning for carriers to follow suit and do away with overages. Doesn't mean free data/texts/etc though, details below:

You know this whole UnCarrier movement they have going on it quite hilarious to me. Since they're the smallest of the four, they attempt to yell the loudest. Even when it doesn't make sense.

I'm just waiting for the moment when they've invited too many to the party and all the food and liquor are gone. That's when they'll go from a Carrier to a UnCarrier.

John is just trying to get attention.  He took over T-mobile just for attention (I think personally).  There network is crap I mean for an example they hzve TWO towers they broadcast off here in my city. One is 3G, the other 2G (EDGE) and get this the 2G EDGE is the tower DOWNTOWN!!!!!   :roflmao: I am dead serious!  John and his team said they are going to convert ALL of there 2G EDGE to LTE by the late half of this year into 2015, ya right!  

Sprint may not have 4G LTE everywhere but they sure have 3G, NOT 2G now.  (Just saying!)

Remember, his bark is worse than his bite. My best friend complains of constant echo's in his voice calls, on both his and his wife's phones. And there is no possible way that 2 iPhone 5C's are defective at the same exact time. And then he finally tells me that friends of his are complaining too for the same issue. So T-Mobile is already having issues. And this is in Vegas, a small city compared to New York City and Los Angeles!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Remember, his bark is worse than his bite. My best friend complains of constant echo's in his voice calls, on both his and his wife's phones. And there is no possible way that 2 iPhone 5C's are defective at the same exact time. And then he finally tells me that friends of his are complaining too for the same issue. So T-Mobile is already having issues. And this is in Vegas, a small city compared to New York City and Los Angeles!

I agree with you, I know of loyal T-mobile friends of mine who switched because there service has gotten worse and they are in one of the LTE cities.  

Plus didn't T-mobile want out of the U.S. Market really really really bad just a year or two ago? (correct me if I am wrong)

Plus didn't T-mobile want out of the U.S. Market really really really bad just a year or two ago? (correct me if I am wrong)

They still do. Don't let the wolf show fool ya.

I agree with you, I know of loyal T-mobile friends of mine who switched because there service has gotten worse and they are in one of the LTE cities.

My best friend doesn't even get over 24.06Mbps on his iPhone 5C on T-Mobile LTE.

My best friend doesn't even get over 24.06Mbps on his iPhone 5C on T-Mobile LTE.

:rofl: 

They still do. Don't let the wolf show fool ya.

Thats what I thought, thank you for confirming.

• Like 1

This is slightly off topic, and I dont know if this has been answered on here or not (redirect me if it has been answered) Sprint has 39,590 locations with antennas.  I have always wondered how many the other 3 carriers have with locations.  Big red (Vzw) would probably never release any information like that to anyone, AT&T is hit and miss (some people say they have more then Vzw (just not the LTE coverage).  T-mobile I have no idea. In fact the sites I know where T-mobile has equipment, they do not put anything on outside of there equipment except for the (I think mandated) 1-800 or 1-888 emergency contact number. 

T-Mobile doesn't want out, their parent company Deutsch Telecom wants out and need a buyer.

In regards to the announcement, why not get rid of overage fees by offering unlimited data at a reasonable price? That seems like the smart move to attract customers with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To be truthful though it varies by area. In some areas T-mobile is absolutely fantastic IF you get a signal. EDGE is far too common of an occurrence unfortunately even in urban areas. 

Stil... any change is good change for the industry. Always gotta keep everyone on their toes no matter how one company spins things like 96% of Americans covered and compares themselves to a certain companies LTE coverage

• Like 2

This is slightly off topic, and I dont know if this has been answered on here or not (redirect me if it has been answered) Sprint has 39,590 locations with antennas.  I have always wondered how many the other 3 carriers have with locations.  Big red (Vzw) would probably never release any information like that to anyone, AT&T is hit and miss (some people say they have more then Vzw (just not the LTE coverage).  T-mobile I have no idea. In fact the sites I know where T-mobile has equipment, they do not put anything on outside of there equipment except for the (I think mandated) 1-800 or 1-888 emergency contact number. 

All three carriers have about 50,000 - 55,00 total towers plus minus a few thousand. 

• Like 1

To be truthful though it varies by area. In some areas T-mobile is absolutely fantastic IF you get a signal. EDGE is far too common of an occurrence unfortunately even in urban areas.

Stil... any change is good change for the industry. Always gotta keep everyone on their toes no matter how one company spins things like 96% of Americans covered and compares themselves to a certain companies LTE coverage.

His 96% must count rural people as not American, and he only counts urban America as true Americans.

• Like 4

His 96% must count rural people as not American, and he only counts urban America as true Americans.

AJ

• Like 1

"To be truthful though it varies by area. In some areas T-mobile is absolutely fantastic IF you get a signal. EDGE is far too common of an occurrence unfortunately even in urban areas. 

Stil... any change is good change for the industry. Always gotta keep everyone on their toes no matter how one company spins things like 96% of Americans covered and compares themselves to a certain companies LTE coverage."

I think a lot of T-mobiles pricing and other gimmicks are just...gimmicks.

However, I am switching when the new iphone comes out because of the service reliability in San Francisco which is most important to me.  They are actually more expensive than Sprint.  I like the idea of subsidized phones with ETFs, but again Sprint service is no good in SF.  I bet you my Sprint LTE is probably slower than TM EDGE as it stands.  They still have a few months for me to change my mind (or at least when the iphone comes out) so perhaps they can change their act in time...however unlikely.  

Every time I go to consider T-Mobile I feel like the rug keeps getting pulled out from under me, first they raise the prices, then they raise the price of unlimited, and now if you look at broadband reports they seem to be under the impression that the Simple Choice plans will now get cut off instead of throttled when you run out your data allotment with this "abolishing overages" announcement. That kind of pisses me off I'd rather have slow data then none and be forced to pay for more.

I see where things are headed but I feel it's a painful transition in the meantime for the customers, if you do all the numbers everyone is seriously raising prices. Ironically under the guise of lowering them, just shifting numbers around. It would cost us more to switch to TMO then ever before, same for Sprints Framily thing (which I truly shudder at the idea of having to recruit new customers in order to keep my bill down, everyone hates Sprint around here!) plus every time I do the numbers I just don't see any savings once I tack on unlimited and EasyPay.

Same goes for att too, but they've always been expensive so that's nothing new, and verizon I won't even go there...

T-Mobile has a great network around here but I despise the fact that I can go a mere 10 miles south and drop down to 2G, Sprints coverage is leaps and bounds more extensive in Indiana, especially with LTE getting turned up, and LTE 800. I also don't like that T-Mobile never came to my house with its LTE footprint, it's not like I live anywhere rural I'm only 3 miles south of I80/94!

I hope Sprint doesn't try to force us off our EPRP plan anytime soon, hard to beat two fully unlimited lines for 130 dollars. It's the only thing that has kept me with them the past year besides our contracts. (I try to keep quiet but yes I've gotten very impatient with them lately.)

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind overage fee's going away, and adopting throttled speeds when exceeding your data cap. Fear of getting slapped in the face with a huge bill is what has mostly kept both of my lines on unlimited with Framily.

• Like 1

What I want to see as far as an overages $$$ amount goes...

We will use say sprints new framily plan...

1 gig included, $10 for up to 3 and $20 for unlimited...

well you go over 1 gig, then you are charged $10, and bumped to the next tier, and so forth...

Why charge some assnine amount for overages....automatically kick them to the next tier.....

I mean you can go do it online, and save yourself....

just a thought

I think a lot of T-mobiles pricing and other gimmicks are just...gimmicks.

However, I am switching when the new iphone comes out because of the service reliability in San Francisco which is most important to me. They are actually more expensive than Sprint. I like the idea of subsidized phones with ETFs, but again Sprint service is no good in SF. I bet you my Sprint LTE is probably slower than TM EDGE as it stands. They still have a few months for me to change my mind (or at least when the iphone comes out) so perhaps they can change their act in time...however unlikely. [/quot

Sprint's Ltd is now where near complete in SF. By the time the new iPhone comes out or near enough Sprint 1900, 800 and probably 2.6 Lte will be deployed in the city (my guess but barring any major zoning issues I think this is the case). It would be a bad move to switch at that point.

"Sprint's Ltd is now where near complete in SF. By the time the new iPhone comes out or near enough Sprint 1900, 800 and probably 2.6 Lte will be deployed in the city (my guess but barring any major zoning issues I think this is the case). It would be a bad move to switch at that point."

Thanks for your comment.  I hope you're right but do not see that happening anytime within the next 2 years.  I have had Sprint for 15 months and have been told the same thing with no improvement in coverage (might be worse).  I'm not a TM fan by any means but Legere said it best when he said Sprint users should have the right to leave and come back when the network becomes usable.  Their superior ownership of spectrum proves that execution is more important at times.  

Of note, I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and was not impressed at all with the coverage.  Bad sign for me because I think they are the most covered city in the US (I may be wrong).  At times coverage was good but other times, it was bad (a lot).  If this is what SF has to look for...

Thanks for your comment.  I hope you're right but do not see that happening anytime within the next 2 years.  I have had Sprint for 15 months and have been told the same thing with no improvement in coverage (might be worse).  I'm not a TM fan by any means but Legere said it best when he said Sprint users should have the right to leave and come back when the network becomes usable.  Their superior ownership of spectrum proves that execution is more important at times.  

Of note, I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and was not impressed at all with the coverage.  Bad sign for me because I think they are the most covered city in the US (I may be wrong).  At times coverage was good but other times, it was bad (a lot).  If this is what SF has to look for...

Do what's best for you but Sprint will absolutely get San Francisco converted by the  end of the year and most likely by the end of summer. eCSFB gaps are a real pain to deal with and legacy equipment not talking to samsung network vision equipment makes everything goes slower. 

TDD-LTE B41 2.5ghz is already live in the bay area over the former Clearwire network and LTE 800 + 1900 is free to deploy whenever NV 3G is finally activated. 

• Like 3

In my limited experience, T-Mobile has terrible voice quality.  My sister is a T-Mo sub, she lives in San Francisco, and she has a iPhone 5s.  I talk to her about every week or three, and can't get over how poor the voice quality is during our conversations.  I'm constantly asking her to repeat things to the point it is embarrassing.  I don't have this problem when I talk to any other person on other carriers, with any other phone. This as been the case with her other Apple phones on T-Mobiles network, too.  T-Mobiles voice quality is so bad that its darn near unusable. I'm not much of a voice user so, I rarely pay attention to voice quality. But T-Mobiles network is so poor that I can't help but notice.  It's really that bad!  I can't believe people put up with that crap. 

• Like 1

Do you think that throttling appear from AT&T? They will keep their same data plan model but once you hit that limit you are slowed down to hspa with a max of 2mbps? I think in a way T-Mobile is shooting themselves in this foot with this no overage fees. Whatever T-Mobile does I believe the larger carriers can do but they are choosing not too.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

In my limited experience, T-Mobile has terrible voice quality.  My sister is a T-Mo sub, she lives in San Francisco, and she has a iPhone 5s.  I talk to her about every week or three, and can't get over how poor the voice quality is during our conversations.  I'm constantly asking her to repeat things to the point it is embarrassing.  I don't have this problem when I talk to any other person on other carriers, with any other phone. This as been the case with her other Apple phones on T-Mobiles network, too.  T-Mobiles voice quality is so bad that its darn near unusable. I'm not much of a voice user so, I rarely pay attention to voice quality. But T-Mobiles network is so poor that I can't help but notice.  It's really that bad!  I can't believe people put up with that crap. 

I agree 100% with this comment. My aunt and I both live in NYC but she lives relatively far away from me. She has an iPhone 5S on T-Mobile and I have an M8 on Sprint (obviously). I called her about a week ago and the quality was absolutely some of the worst I have ever heard. And I knew it wasn't coming from my end because when I call my mother on Verizon or my Dad on Sprint, it sounds insanely clear. Calling my Aunt sounded like I was speaking to someone using autotune on the other end. 

It's kind of a shame considering both T-Mobile is the only other carrier in NYC to have deployed HD Voice besides Sprint.

• Like 1

Do you think that throttling appear from AT&T? They will keep their same data plan model but once you hit that limit you are slowed down to hspa with a max of 2mbps? I think in a way T-Mobile is shooting themselves in this foot with this no overage fees. Whatever T-Mobile does I believe the larger carriers can do but they are choosing not too.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

AT&T (on grand fathered unlimited data plan) does not throttle to hspa speeds currently. They bring you down to ~100 kbps, just as T-Mobile does on their simple choice plans while staying connected to LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk